Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

2 hours ago, R2020 said:

If a PI offers you an informal acceptance, how long does it take to hear an official invitation from the program?  

On the contrary, it took 3 hours to get my official letter!

This process is so grueling. Just unsure of what to make of all of the waitlists. I thought my interviews went well, but I guess just not well enough. Going to wait it out and really really hope something works out. For everyone accepted CONGRATULATIONS, but remember to only hold one offer at a time. Honestly y'all this is a hard process and I know we would all be fantastic clinicians and researchers so keep the hope and keep pushing on!

11 hours ago, Macykid said:

This process is so grueling. Just unsure of what to make of all of the waitlists. I thought my interviews went well, but I guess just not well enough. Going to wait it out and really really hope something works out. For everyone accepted CONGRATULATIONS, but remember to only hold one offer at a time. Honestly y'all this is a hard process and I know we would all be fantastic clinicians and researchers so keep the hope and keep pushing on!

I know this process is anxiety inducing but stop spreading this falsehood. You’re allowed to hold onto all offers as you await to get your final stipend offer, if you haven’t visited the university yet, and a few other reasons. 

This is your future don’t allow others dictate the choice for you. 

5 minutes ago, Giovanni’s room said:

I know this process is anxiety inducing but stop spreading this falsehood. You’re allowed to hold onto all offers as you await to get your final stipend offer, if you haven’t visited the university yet, and a few other reasons. 

I'm sorry, but every school and every professor I have talked to has encouraged this sentiment; not to hold more than one offer at a time. 

I have a question for the masses. Does anybody ever email the grad program coordinator asking for an update or proposed timeline for when to hear back about decisions? Wondering if I should send an email or how long one must generally wait to hear back after an interview? Thanks! Feel free to PM me!

2 hours ago, PsychHuman said:

I have a question for the masses. Does anybody ever email the grad program coordinator asking for an update or proposed timeline for when to hear back about decisions? Wondering if I should send an email or how long one must generally wait to hear back after an interview? Thanks! Feel free to PM me!

Personally I haven't, because I feel like it would just come off as being impatient and that's not the view I want them to have of me while they are deciding to admit me or not. Waiting is hard, though.

3 hours ago, Macykid said:

I'm sorry, but every school and every professor I have talked to has encouraged this sentiment; not to hold more than one offer at a time. 

With internships you’re not allowed to hold onto more than one. For grad school it’s different, here is the policy: https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

13 minutes ago, Giovanni’s room said:

With internships you’re not allowed to hold onto more than one. For grad school it’s different, here is the policy: https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

"A student should not hold more than two offers for more than one week unless there is specific information (e.g. a visit is scheduled, funding decisions, advisor decisions) they are waiting to receive from the program."

So for example I've currently got two offers, but I don't have the final funding info for either of them. Therefore, I am not making a decision between the two until I have that info. What I have done is decline the offers and interviews for programs that I know I won't take over one of the two I currently have regardless of funding information- but I am not going to turn down one of these two until I have the funding information I need to make an informed choice between them.

Regarding all the debates over how many offers to hold onto - Do you file some sort of case/explanation for why you're holding on to more than 2 offers at a time or does someone/a group come after you if you are holding onto multiple offers? Automatic withdrawals of acceptances? Or is this just some general courtesy?

quick edit: This is my first time doing the graduate apps and I was not aware of this matter until recently. Just want to know how it works and what to do...

Edited by devpsych2020

6 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Regarding all the debates over how many offers to hold onto - Do you file some sort of case/explanation for why you're holding on to more than 2 offers at a time or does someone/a group come after you if you are holding onto multiple offers? Automatic withdrawals of acceptances? Or is this just some general courtesy?

quick edit: This is my first time doing the graduate apps and I was not aware of this matter until recently. Just want to know how it works and what to do...

It's general courtesy. No one tracks how many offers a person has. It's just a nice thing to do to make sure all applicants feel like this process is as fair as it can be (which is a hard task in general). 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, Giovanni’s room said:

My b someone else already posted what I just posted here and then deleted. I got overexcited lol ?

Edited by penguinqueen

School: Springfield College

Type: Counseling Psychology PsyD

Date of invite: February 17, 2020

Type of invite: Mass email

Interview date(s): February 28, 2020 

I am on a freaking CLOUD right now. I have been going crazy checking my email every day for two weeks waiting for this one. I'll be doing a skype interview, I've heard it doesn't really make a difference skype or in-person, but I am a little bummed I can't make it across the country to see the campus and feel the vibe in person.