Waitlist Thread 2020

Ppkitty

Just now, PsychPhdBound said:

This may be an odd question, but if we've accepted another offer should we notify advisors who have waitlisted us, the way we notify programs where we have been accepted? It feels weird to tell them, since I'm not technically turning down an offer, but it feels like it would be more awkward if they end up offering me a spot later. Also, it's someone I'm hoping to still work with in the future, so I want to handle the situation well. Thanks for any help!

Yeah you should. Just say you don’t wish to be considered anymore because you have received an offer from an institution you’d like to attend. 

2 minutes ago, PsychPhdBound said:

This may be an odd question, but if we've accepted another offer should we notify advisors who have waitlisted us, the way we notify programs where we have been accepted? It feels weird to tell them, since I'm not technically turning down an offer, but it feels like it would be more awkward if they end up offering me a spot later. Also, it's someone I'm hoping to still work with in the future, so I want to handle the situation well. Thanks for any help!

Yes! You should let the program director know you would like to be removed off of the waitlist. This might help someone else who may have been also waitlisted eventually receive an offer. Congratulations on your acceptance! 

1 minute ago, Psychedbeyondrepair said:

Yes! You should let the program director know you would like to be removed off of the waitlist. This might help someone else who may have been also waitlisted eventually receive an offer. Congratulations on your acceptance! 

Great! I just didn't want it to sound presumptuous, but I like the suggestion to just say I want to be removed from the waitlist.

18 minutes ago, happycola23 said:

Wondering the average chance of getting off of the waitlist. Sitting here twiddling my thumbs......

Varying honestly. Depends on place in the wait list and whether it’s a cumulative waitlist or POI focused.

how a lot of people on here treat it is: if you only have waitlist answers, prep for the worst outcome and move on. If you are lucky enough to get in that’s GREAT but prep for the worst now. For example, I honestly just treat waitlists as rejections. I don’t want to play the waiting game. Faculty won’t care if I decide not to email them biweekly on status. They have a set list and if I am next up they will let me know. It’s mentally easier to have that mindset. Time will go faster and if it happens then it might feel better. Don’t sit around, don’t update the results section daily and deal with sadness if someone got in. April 15 deadline is fast approaching and the decision will be made by then. 

2 hours ago, PsychPhdBound said:

Yes you definitely should! The places I’m waitlisted we’re very clear to let them know if I accept elsewhere. It can influence rotating funding etc. 

hi guys, so 2 weeks ago i was waitlisted for my only interview, and my PI just sent me an email to check in and basically say there hasn't been any movement yet for the waitlist. as i understand it it's just not my PI's turn to extend an offer yet.  i want to know where she is in the line to extend an offer, seeing as without any other interviews I need to be working on my backup plan, but everytime i try to write an email it sounds really presumptuous ? for those of you who have asked about your place in the waitlist, i'm just wondering how you phrased it to help me out a little! also, she asked if i have any updates to give her and i'm unsure if i should tell her that i don't have any other offers so she knows that this is my top (only lol) choice - i'm not sure what the negatives are to that but it seems weird to be like, i have nothing else i'm just here waiting for you !!!! advice appreciated haha thanks everyone

Edited by k0909

1 hour ago, k0909 said:

hi guys, so 2 weeks ago i was waitlisted for my only interview, and my PI just sent me an email to check in and basically say there hasn't been any movement yet for the waitlist. as i understand it it's just not my PI's turn to extend an offer yet.  i want to know where she is in the line to extend an offer, seeing as without any other interviews I need to be working on my backup plan, but everytime i try to write an email it sounds really presumptuous ? for those of you who have asked about your place in the waitlist, i'm just wondering how you phrased it to help me out a little! also, she asked if i have any updates to give her and i'm unsure if i should tell her that i don't have any other offers so she knows that this is my top (only lol) choice - i'm not sure what the negatives are to that but it seems weird to be like, i have nothing else i'm just here waiting for you !!!! advice appreciated haha thanks everyone

You could always ask how their waitlist process works. For example, how do you determine who gets pulled from the waitlist? Is it one general list or does each professor have a list? You could also ask the professor to explain the waitlist process. 
Instead of saying this school is your only option I would say something along the lines of this is my top choice program and I’m very interested in attending. I mentioned that to a program director and he said it was helpful to know I was very interested in their program. I’m on a waitlist right now and I check in with the program coordinator every two weeks or so to ask for an update. With a lot of universities moving to online classes acceptances may be put on the back burner while courses make the transition so I think it is helpful to check in so they know I’m still interested 

36 minutes ago, psych2020 said:

Can you be accepted off of a waitlist after April 15th?

Hi, I think it depends on the school. I was on two waitlists and both have stated they will be accepting people even after the 4/15 deadline.... I would inquire! 

Been waitlisted at Utah State for nearly 2 mo. Last I heard, I still remain on the waitlist but this is tough! It seems like there has been a bit of momentum recently with people accepting offers, so hopefully the wait isn't too much past April 15. Good luck to everyone who still remains on a waitlist! Hoping it works out for us 

I just got notified that I'm on the waitlist for Wake Forest's MA program.

I already committed to Villanova because I loved my visit, but now my emotions are rather skewed because Wake Forest was admittedly a top choice when I submitted my applications and I'm not sure whether to be hopeful.

Interviewed almost 2 months ago and been on the waitlist for over a month and have had no updates since...every day my anxiety and stress is going up and up :'). I reached out to profs but it seems that everyone is so busy because of the whole COVID situation so I don't know when (or if) they will give me updates. Argh, I just want to know!

The wait goes on... hang in there ya'll ❤️ 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:21 AM, lunaura said:

I just got notified that I'm on the waitlist for Wake Forest's MA program.

I already committed to Villanova because I loved my visit, but now my emotions are rather skewed because Wake Forest was admittedly a top choice when I submitted my applications and I'm not sure whether to be hopeful.

Same here.  I am on wait list  for same program, wondering if the chances would be high or not

8 hours ago, hihihi said:

Same here.  I am on wait list  for same program, wondering if the chances would be high or not

I doubt the chances are particularly high. Just wait and see, I suppose.

anyone who is on the waitlist at texas tech just get a confusing email? i'm assuming it was sent to all applicants to the grad school, but the language makes it sound like i've been admitted-

"Thank you again for your interest in graduate study at Texas Tech Graduate University. I look forward to you joining the community of scholars at one of the top research universities in the US.

I want to assure you once more that we are continuing to process applications as normal for our summer and fall terms. However, as a follow up to my last message, I wanted to address some of the issues that we are hearing from many of you.

We know that the COVID-19 situation has caused the closure of most centers for GRE/GMAT testing. Due to this situation, I am waiving the requirement for these tests for applicants for the Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 application terms. If your program required GRE scores, that section on the application is now optional. If you have already taken the GRE, please complete that section; otherwise, you may skip the question and submit your application without scores.

Again, we appreciate your patience as we work through these circumstances. Please do not hesitate to contact us at graduate.admissions@ttu.edu.

I look forward to welcoming you to Texas Tech soon."

2 minutes ago, yikespsych said:

anyone who is on the waitlist at texas tech just get a confusing email? i'm assuming it was sent to all applicants to the grad school, but the language makes it sound like i've been admitted-

"Thank you again for your interest in graduate study at Texas Tech Graduate University. I look forward to you joining the community of scholars at one of the top research universities in the US.

I want to assure you once more that we are continuing to process applications as normal for our summer and fall terms. However, as a follow up to my last message, I wanted to address some of the issues that we are hearing from many of you.

We know that the COVID-19 situation has caused the closure of most centers for GRE/GMAT testing. Due to this situation, I am waiving the requirement for these tests for applicants for the Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 application terms. If your program required GRE scores, that section on the application is now optional. If you have already taken the GRE, please complete that section; otherwise, you may skip the question and submit your application without scores.

Again, we appreciate your patience as we work through these circumstances. Please do not hesitate to contact us at graduate.admissions@ttu.edu.

I look forward to welcoming you to Texas Tech soon."

Also received this email. Think it was to everyone

So I need some advice. I have an offer from one school that would like me to commit as soon as possible, but I'm still waiting to hear back from another school (school #2) that told me they are currently looking into an additional funded position, and they will admit me if they are able to fund one. I know I technically have until the 15th to get back to school #1, but I'd rather not wait that long as I feel it is pretty rude to do so. Any advice regarding how to nicely tell school #2 I need an answer fast? Last update they gave me was that they still don't know for sure. 

11 minutes ago, HopelesslyDevoted said:

So I need some advice. I have an offer from one school that would like me to commit as soon as possible, but I'm still waiting to hear back from another school (school #2) that told me they are currently looking into an additional funded position, and they will admit me if they are able to fund one. I know I technically have until the 15th to get back to school #1, but I'd rather not wait that long as I feel it is pretty rude to do so. Any advice regarding how to nicely tell school #2 I need an answer fast? Last update they gave me was that they still don't know for sure. 

I’m in the same position. I’m honestly just going to hold until April 15th because five years of my life is worth another two weeks and I hope a program could understand that. I really would prefer to hear back after I post this but sadly that is not the case ?. I’d say hold until April 15th and hope for the best!

1 hour ago, HopelesslyDevoted said:

1 hour ago, Jkid said:

I’m in the same position. I’m honestly just going to hold until April 15th because five years of my life is worth another two weeks and I hope a program could understand that. I really would prefer to hear back after I post this but sadly that is not the case ?. I’d say hold until April 15th and hope for the best!

I was in a similar situation and reached out to the faculty member I intended to work with at the other institution and said that I had an offer I was interested in taking but that I wanted to reach out to them first before I made my final decision.

(I got an offer from the second school in within an hour--however, I had been in close contact with that PI a few weeks earlier to check in on the progress re: offers.)

I felt bad b/c I ended up taking the earlier offer, but I really do feel like being honest and just not promising anything you aren't sure of is the best policy.