Waitlist Thread 2020

Ppkitty

It's been difficult! I am waitlisted at two places, haven't heard back from two others after interview, and have one more interview in a few weeks.

I am trying not to get my hopes up to get off the list, but I really would love to and it's hard to stop thinking about it. you?

1 minute ago, Leashy said:

It's been difficult! I am waitlisted at two places, haven't heard back from two others after interview, and have one more interview in a few weeks.

I am trying not to get my hopes up to get off the list, but I really would love to and it's hard to stop thinking about it. you?

I keep trying to work out the percentages in my head of the probability of being accepted if I'm waitlisted at 4/6 :D Only waitlisted at two now and waiting to hear from two.

The waiting game is slowly killing me inside, lol. To make matters more complicated, my partner might have a really great job opportunity where we live now, that I really hope he gets! But, if I do end up getting accepted, and he gets the job, that could create quite a pickle. 

I really just want to be able to plan my future. I always have my 1, 5, and 10 year plans thought out in my head and right now my future just looks fuzzy. I can't see where my road is leading now and it's so frustrating!

Ahhhh this is truly brutal. Waitlist suck and it seems like programs are adding more people into the waitlist so it’s not like if your on the waitlist, your the next up. rather now they allow 2-3 waitlist people for one POI. I wish you guys the best! 

I have been really struggling. Currently waitlisted at a school that does not tell you where on the waitlist you are so it is so up in the air right now. Applied 3 years ago with straight rejections after interviews so objectively I know that being waitlisted is a good thing but it just feels crushing.

I am currently on one waitlist for a program I really want to attend. I think I am unofficially on a waitlist for another program but have not heard anything either way. I emailed the program who told me I was waitlisted and they told me I was 2nd on the list. The admission coordinator told me he thinks they will be offering admission to at least one person from the list so my chances depend on that other applicant. This is very nerve wracking to me because now I feel like my future is in some other applicant's hands. He did say that knowing I was very interested in the program is very helpful to know so I took that as a good sign. I basically check my email 24/7. Luckily my job keeps me pretty busy during the week but weekends are long and anxiety ridden. I am starting to think being waitlisted is worse than being flat out rejected in terms of the stress and anxiety it causes.  I wish everyone luck on getting off the waitlist! 

I emailed the admissions director for my program last week to inquire about my spot on the waitlist. I want to continue to email them to show my continued interest in their program but I also do not want to appear pushy.  How often is too often to email about my position on the waitilist? This program is my top choice. 

I followed up with a POI yesterday to inquire about my status on the waitlist. She immediately responded to let me know that they have offered to one candidate but that I am next in line if that student declines. Fingers crossed but at least I have one acceptance that I can hold on to for now!

2 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

I followed up with a POI yesterday to inquire about my status on the waitlist. She immediately responded to let me know that they have offered to one candidate but that I am next in line if that student declines. Fingers crossed but at least I have one acceptance that I can hold on to for now!

Good luck to you! I am also waitlisted. I’m wondering what the right thing to say is in terms of inquiring about the waitlist position. And also, how soon is too soon to ask after notice of waitlist? 

Just now, Psychedbeyondrepair said:

Good luck to you! I am also waitlisted. I’m wondering what the right thing to say is in terms of inquiring about the waitlist position. And also, how soon is too soon to ask after notice of waitlist? 

This is what I said:

Hello Dr. Professor,

I am reaching out to check in on my application status. I was put on the wait-list about a month ago and haven't heard anything since.
I'm still very interested in the possibility of working with you and attending University for my Ph.D. program.

Please let me know (if you're able), if you have any updates on my application status.

Thanks in advance,

Psychological Yam

10 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

This is what I said:

Hello Dr. Professor,

I am reaching out to check in on my application status. I was put on the wait-list about a month ago and haven't heard anything since.
I'm still very interested in the possibility of working with you and attending University for my Ph.D. program.

Please let me know (if you're able), if you have any updates on my application status.

Thanks in advance,

Psychological Yam

Thank you so much! This is helpful! 

When would you guys say it's appropriate to contact a school post-interview to see if you're on a waitlist (if at all)? If so, would you recommend contacting the DCT, your POI, or both? It's been a little over 2 weeks after a few of the interviews I had and I've seen some offers extended from those programs, but have not been rejected either. Assuming I could be on the waitlist at at least one of those few, but none of the programs have contacted me about it. 

18 minutes ago, fixology said:

When would you guys say it's appropriate to contact a school post-interview to see if you're on a waitlist (if at all)? If so, would you recommend contacting the DCT, your POI, or both? It's been a little over 2 weeks after a few of the interviews I had and I've seen some offers extended from those programs, but have not been rejected either. Assuming I could be on the waitlist at at least one of those few, but none of the programs have contacted me about it. 

From my experience, I noticed a gap of time between acceptances being sent out and waitlist being sent out. I would wait a month and then contact the head of the program (not the POI) for information about waitlist.

2 hours ago, fixology said:

I had a few interviews where they said they would get back to us in 1-2 weeks to let us know “either way” and then I never heard from them. I waited 3 full weeks and then sent an email saying another program was asking me to rank my interest but I am still interested in their program and would like to check on my status. I emailed the DCTs and heard back right away (same day), although I got no detail about ranking on the waitlist. I don’t think either school planned to tell me I was waitlisted which is really annoying. I suggest reaching out or you might not hear until they decide you’re rejected (or you get accepted off the waitlist). 

I just got placed on my first waitlist post-interview and I am worried about my mindset a bit... I don't want to take this as a rejection and get too down about it, but I also don't want to be too optimistic, especially as this school/POI has been my top choice since I started the process. I am also only waiting to hear back from one other school at this point, which makes things feel a little more dire. I'm trying to manage my expectations, but it's hard. All of my other rejections and assumed rejections have been softened by the thought that I still had my top choice on the docket, as it was my last interview. So now I feel sort of at a loss... I feel like I should be regrouping and thinking about next steps to strengthen my application next year, but I don't really want to at this point. I think I inadvertently got too attached to the idea of this program and POI being the perfect match for me, so now I'm trying to avoid clinging to the hope afforded by still being on the waitlist so I don't get wrecked when it doesn't happen... But it also could happen! So I keep going back and forth...

There's really no point to this post, I just wanted to get my feelings out to some people who might understand. But any advice about getting into a good mindset about this all would be appreciated!

1 minute ago, Crosswordese said:

I just got placed on my first waitlist post-interview and I am worried about my mindset a bit... I don't want to take this as a rejection and get too down about it, but I also don't want to be too optimistic, especially as this school/POI has been my top choice since I started the process. I am also only waiting to hear back from one other school at this point, which makes things feel a little more dire. I'm trying to manage my expectations, but it's hard. All of my other rejections and assumed rejections have been softened by the thought that I still had my top choice on the docket, as it was my last interview. So now I feel sort of at a loss... I feel like I should be regrouping and thinking about next steps to strengthen my application next year, but I don't really want to at this point. I think I inadvertently got too attached to the idea of this program and POI being the perfect match for me, so now I'm trying to avoid clinging to the hope afforded by still being on the waitlist so I don't get wrecked when it doesn't happen... But it also could happen! So I keep going back and forth...

There's really no point to this post, I just wanted to get my feelings out to some people who might understand. But any advice about getting into a good mindset about this all would be appreciated!

Just remember for most programs 50% get in off the waitlist. Also means 50% don't. I would definitely start looking into other things and applying to jobs while also maintaining hope because there is a possibility you could get in. Don't give up!!! We're in this together

2 minutes ago, Crosswordese said:

I completely understand the reason for this post. Being waitlisted is like this eternal limbo that hurts. I was also waitlisted from a school I felt was perfect and now I’m worried that will be the result of my other interviews. Breathe through it.

I also relate to this hopelessness feeling of not being sure you want to do this next semester. I say, lets get through April and we’ll figure it out after. Sending positive vibes.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Crosswordese said:

This is so hard. This was my second time round and even though I felt like my interview was perfect, I got on the waitlist at EMU. After really getting down, I ended up going the "hope for the best, plan for the worst" route. I applied for 6 jobs, 2 masters programs, and set up 1 skype interview in the two weeks between being told I was on the waitlist and being told that I was officially accepted. I can't explain my relief but I can say that prepping for the possibility of not getting in helped to distract me and also feel better prepared for whatever future came.

Good luck!!!!!

It's been two+ weeks since I've been waitlisted at my top choice. I know it's a bit too early for the waitlist panic (most offers will get released somewhere at the beginning of April), but I can't help feeling anxious, hopeful, grateful, and dejected. In the end no one will care if I got into the program off the waitlist or not, but for now I strongly feel the "You're not our first choice, we'll maybe let you know if we need you in the future if our first choice falls through" vibe, which makes me a bit rejected, to be honest. It's not rational, I understand that I will also reject the other offer if accepted off the waitlist here, but the mix of feelings is difficult to get through, especially considering that it's my third cycle.

That's it, just thought it would be an appropriate place to vent.

1 hour ago, Musicalowl said:

This is so hard. This was my second time round and even though I felt like my interview was perfect, I got on the waitlist at EMU. After really getting down, I ended up going the "hope for the best, plan for the worst" route. I applied for 6 jobs, 2 masters programs, and set up 1 skype interview in the two weeks between being told I was on the waitlist and being told that I was officially accepted. I can't explain my relief but I can say that prepping for the possibility of not getting in helped to distract me and also feel better prepared for whatever future came.

Good luck!!!!!

First of all, congrats on getting the acceptance! I'm glad that perfect interview ended up leading to an offer in the end!

At this point, a week out from that initial waitlist email (and now having just heard that I am most probably waitlisted at my final program too), I have begun searching for potential new jobs as well to try to distract me and make me feel less helpless, but a mental roadblock for me is the fact that I currently have an RA position on a study that will be in data collection for several years. So while part of me feels I shouldn't "jump ship" here and start from scratch in another RA/RC position just to reapply to programs in December, the other part feels my experience here wasn't "enough" to get in (it's not in my major area of interest, just related to a secondary interest, and I've only been involved in recruitment & data collection), and so I should join a lab/study that's smaller scale but faster-paced, where I might have more chances for a poster/pub by next cycle and for networking in my desired future field.

So at this point I'm kind of putting off that decision (and conversation with my current PIs about my opportunities here) until I get rejections from my remaining two programs, which maybe isn't the best idea... But I am keeping tabs on openings, and am telling myself I will apply if something comes up that really seems to fit my wants and needs better than my current job. So hopefully just looking for things will keep me preoccupied until I hear back with the final verdicts... Anyway, thanks for sharing how you were coping with the not knowing and how it turned out well for you! Best of luck at EMU!

1 hour ago, Crosswordese said:

First of all, congrats on getting the acceptance! I'm glad that perfect interview ended up leading to an offer in the end!

At this point, a week out from that initial waitlist email (and now having just heard that I am most probably waitlisted at my final program too), I have begun searching for potential new jobs as well to try to distract me and make me feel less helpless, but a mental roadblock for me is the fact that I currently have an RA position on a study that will be in data collection for several years. So while part of me feels I shouldn't "jump ship" here and start from scratch in another RA/RC position just to reapply to programs in December, the other part feels my experience here wasn't "enough" to get in (it's not in my major area of interest, just related to a secondary interest, and I've only been involved in recruitment & data collection), and so I should join a lab/study that's smaller scale but faster-paced, where I might have more chances for a poster/pub by next cycle and for networking in my desired future field.

So at this point I'm kind of putting off that decision (and conversation with my current PIs about my opportunities here) until I get rejections from my remaining two programs, which maybe isn't the best idea... But I am keeping tabs on openings, and am telling myself I will apply if something comes up that really seems to fit my wants and needs better than my current job. So hopefully just looking for things will keep me preoccupied until I hear back with the final verdicts... Anyway, thanks for sharing how you were coping with the not knowing and how it turned out well for you! Best of luck at EMU!

ugh I know that feeling. After my first time round, my position wanted me to stay but once I was applying and thinking I may be getting in to school, staying at my previous position seemed like becoming stuck and almost moving backwards.

My next position has had a lot of ups (conferences, papers, working closer my population of interest) but also has had a lot of downs. One of the biggest things is that the new position wanted me for 2 years and then a first authorship opportunity came up so i stayed for three. I have definitely outgrown the position and i put off applying to school for 3 more years and part of me regrets that. Looking back, I don't know if I would make the same choices about putting off school. I got too caught up in the 'perfect application' you know?.

Regardless you are looking for positions and want a rec letter from the new P.I definitely keep in mind that many labs want 2 years minimum so if that works in your hopeful timeline then go for it!!!!

I really wish you the best of luck and hope that you get great news off of that waitlist!!!!

This may be an odd question, but if we've accepted another offer should we notify advisors who have waitlisted us, the way we notify programs where we have been accepted? It feels weird to tell them, since I'm not technically turning down an offer, but it feels like it would be more awkward if they end up offering me a spot later. Also, it's someone I'm hoping to still work with in the future, so I want to handle the situation well. Thanks for any help!