Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Sheesh, the results page.  Assuming that everything that poster said was true about their stats regarding LSU.... I think it’s time to have a conversation around having great stats but a low GPA and ultimately getting rejected. Could be other things too, but... I just feel bad 

Also, for anyone wondering about UCLA - I saw it mentioned on reddit that they’re extending interview invites next week. Take it with a grain of salt, but the poster said that they asked a grad student at UCLA. 

34 minutes ago, cruiser23 said:

Sorry clogging this up I just need to let some “AAAAHAHAAHHAHGGGGGG” frustrations out. Y’all I am a nervous wreck seeing all the invites go out and still no peep from any school/POI!

but forreal I am very happy for everyone that has been accepted//interviewed//etc! 
(I just want to hear somethinggggg even if it’s a rejection at this point)

❤️

I feel you, radio silence from all schools I applied to :( getting super nervous at this point. I was pretty confident I would at least get one interview but I am starting to feel pretty hopeless.

31 minutes ago, missmusical said:

Did someone say that Washington state university will be extending interview invites this week? I saw a lot of people got prelims but none with my POIs initials (TB) so I’m wondering (hoping) if she is one of many who extends interview invites without doing a prelim. 

Just looking at previous years, they send out invites pretty late. Last year notifications were from 2/2. I'm not expecting to hear anything until Feb at this point.

Wow... I thought I wanted to do a Clinical Psych PhD, but these acceptance rates are crazy!! I consider myself a competitive applicant, but when the acceptance rates are so low, how can you plan for anything??

I see some really good research matches at OHSU, for example, but someone on the results page has a 4.0 GPA Clinical Psych Masters and a 3.96 Undergrad GPA, plus research experience, and they didn't even get an interview...

According to their website, the average is 44.5 months of research experience.... what the heck?? That's four years!

I'm so sad right now...I wish these programs weren't so ridiculously competitive.

Just now, PsychApplicant2 said:

Wondering the same thing with that Georgia State post I just saw ?

Lmaoo exactly. Honestly I'm skeptical that GA State actually gave that person an interview ? I just want them to remove posts that aren't results. It's really annoying when people ask questions there

6 minutes ago, kch16 said:

Are there mods actively monitoring the results page?

There are only so many mods, and while I don't mod the results page, just the forums, I can tell you we try our hardest to clear everything, but we're all unpaid volunteers who do the best we can. You can report posts on the results page as spam, which will make it easier for mods to see those posts. 

Just now, PsyDuck90 said:

There are only so many mods, and while I don't mod the results page, just the forums, I can tell you we try our hardest to clear everything, but we're all unpaid volunteers who do the best we can. You can report posts on the results page as spam, which will make it easier for mods to see those posts. 

Gotcha! I meant no disrespect- I was just curious. I'm sorry that you even have to deal with moderating either page; you'd expect applicants for extremely competitive programs to be more responsible and respectful.

Just now, kch16 said:

Gotcha! I meant no disrespect- I was just curious. I'm sorry that you even have to deal with moderating either page; you'd expect applicants for extremely competitive programs to be more responsible and respectful.

I didn't take it that way! Just wanted to respond to the initial inquiry. 

The results page gets horribly spammed every year. And where there's a group of anxious people on the internet, there will always be trolls. Anonymity=greater opportunity for chaos.

This is a stressful time, but I urge all of you to focus on your self-care skills. It's a tough process. Clincial psych PhDs have an average 11% acceptance rate. It is tough. Getting in is sometimes more about luck than anything else. For every qualified and capable applicant who was accepted, there are plenty of equally qualified and capable candidates who did not. Rejection is not a reflection of you as a person or your abilities. Just try to remember that and be kind to yourselves in this process. 

Just now, winstonian3 said:

What do people normally do as backups? Masters programs? Med school?

Lmao I think clinical psych is the only corner of the universe where med school would even be considered as a backup. I'm starting to think about backups myself- I've been in the same full-time RA job for close to 3 years now after undergrad, and I'm in a tight spot where I wouldn't be sure what to do/what additional qualifications would be available to me in this position if I'm faced with all rejections. I would strongly consider an M.A. (I applied to a couple as well as backups), but I haaate how expensive they are- it's why I opted for an RA job in the first place. 

1 minute ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

Lmao I think clinical psych is the only corner of the universe where med school would even be considered as a backup. I'm starting to think about backups myself- I've been in the same full-time RA job for close to 3 years now after undergrad, and I'm in a tight spot where I wouldn't be sure what to do/what additional qualifications would be available to me in this position if I'm faced with all rejections. I would strongly consider an M.A. (I applied to a couple as well as backups), but I haaate how expensive they are- it's why I opted for an RA job in the first place. 

I'm in pretty much the exact same position! But there's just no guarantee even if you have all the right qualifications.

3 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Masters Programs or full time RA/CRC/Project manager positions in labs... but even those are really hard to come by :( 

I'm in a full-time research coordinator position now, which is great and I'm lucky to have it. But it's by no means a long-term job. I make 35k haha.

2 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

I had the very same thought ?

2 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

Is it considered a no no to reach out to the admission office regarding the status of your application?

For what it's worth I finally caved and emailed a program (the dept) that I had prelimed with more than a month ago. If they're just now sending out invites then I wouldn't, but if it's been a while I think it's increasingly becoming fair game at this point.

6 minutes ago, winstonian3 said:

I'm in pretty much the exact same position! But there's just no guarantee even if you have all the right qualifications.

I'm in a full-time research coordinator position now, which is great and I'm lucky to have it. But it's by no means a long-term job. I make 35k haha.

Yup, same. Very lucky to have the CRC job, but man, I make less than that... ? ahh 

1 hour ago, winstonian3 said:

Wow... I thought I wanted to do a Clinical Psych PhD, but these acceptance rates are crazy!! I consider myself a competitive applicant, but when the acceptance rates are so low, how can you plan for anything??

I see some really good research matches at OHSU, for example, but someone on the results page has a 4.0 GPA Clinical Psych Masters and a 3.96 Undergrad GPA, plus research experience, and they didn't even get an interview...

According to their website, the average is 44.5 months of research experience.... what the heck?? That's four years!

I'm so sad right now...I wish these programs weren't so ridiculously competitive.

I agree, and looking back on just how much work and stress and effort I've put into my college education, knowing that everything I do and every opportunity I take, every bit of research experience and every grade all matters for this moment right now.....it's almost unhealthy to be honest. I think there's a lot of us here that feel exhausted getting to this point because it's years and years in the making sometimes. And in the end, it might not even matter! What does my 4.0 mean compared to the next person's 4.0? Or the other 20 people with 4.0s and years of research experience? etc. etc. etc.

Unfortunately it really comes down to luck, fit, and match with PI when you've got such good stats. Which is frustrating because we judge ourselves, asking if we could have done more to get interviews and acceptances, but sometimes it's not that simple. Even having gotten an interview this cycle, I'm still asking myself why the other 9 programs didn't choose me for an interview ?

34 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Masters Programs or full time RA/CRC/Project manager positions in labs... but even those are really hard to come by :( 

Worth mentioning that even with multiple years of FT research exp + a MA, it's still very possible not to get in. Feeling like it really boils down to the year you apply and a lot of other uncontrollable factors ?? We shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Hang in there, everyone