Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

12 hours ago, DrApple said:

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from SUNY Albany?  It looks like their interview is scheduled for 2/27, but I haven't seen any posts on the results page about interviews (unless I missed it). Thanks!

I haven't yet! I emailed the DCT back in early Dec about an application error and she told me faculty had started reviewing applications, but that she had no information so far about interviews.

4 hours ago, clinical_sike said:

Congrats!!!! May I ask which university? Also, how what do you think made you stand out in your prelim? Any tips? Thanks:)

thank you!!

University of florida! But it wasn't for a clinical/counseling program. I think one thing that definitely helped was that I had contact with my POI before the interviews. I emailed her about my interest in the fall and she offered to meet with me so we talked then. I also attended a virtual conference she was speaking at and emailed her some thoughts/questions a day later. I did everything I could PRE interview time to make sure my name was on the forefront of her mind. 

When it came time for the preliminary interview I was panicky and didn't know how to prepare so I prepared for questions all those questions that you can find online. However the interview was so different from what I imagined. She may have asked four questions max and because we had spoken with each other before she said to me "I'm asking these because I had to ask everyone else, but I have a pretty good idea of what your answers will be" so for me it was like a refresher. 

However the 'official' interview will be a lot more intense. She told me to be prepared to speak with her for an hour and also requested that I send her two research ideas before our meeting so that we can talk about them during the interview as well. She also sent out an email to the current doctoral students introducing me and told me to expect to interview with the members. 

I think to prepare for these interviews, I'll continue reading the labs research, as well as my own. and I'm lucky that I have this one expertise that the POI is interested in utilizing it in her studies so I'm gonna make sure I can communicate what I want to communicate in an easily digestible and effective manner. 

5 hours ago, clinical_sike said:

I am so sorry that this happened to you. You did not deserve that, especially if the PI knew in advance that they were exploring other career opportunities 

Thank you so much! Its really frustrating but I'm just taking it as a sign that it wasn't where I was meant to be. 

5 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Unfortunately, this is just how things work for academic faculty; they tend to look after their own self-interests first. Unless they’ve already committed to accepting a new job position, they don’t want to scare away good mentees for their lab if they ultimately decide to stay; and so, faculty tend to not disclose their consideration of transferring out.

And I agree. At the end of the day they really do care about themselves first. Also, like I guess it makes sense because if I had known he was thinking of leaving I wouldn't have applied. It just sucks paying application fees and all of that just for it to end this way.

15 hours ago, bss1234 said:

Thought I'd come on here and see if anybody could offer some thoughts/advice as to what my next steps could be: For a little background I'm a BIPOC male about to finish up undergrad this semester and so I applied to a mix of masters and PhD programs in clinical and counseling psychology. I haven't heard back from masters programs yet but I've gotten a few rejections from the PhD ones and while I'm not throwing in the towel I certainly know how competitive these programs are and apps went up everywhere this year so I'm not feeling great about my chances. I applied to a few masters programs so I could get my GPA up (3.2 so not terrible not amazing either) and get more research experience if I choose to apply again. However I have a significant amount of debt in student loans from undergrad and I really don't want to take on more debt and it's not even guaranteed that I would gain admission into a PhD program afterwards. I've been applying to paid research positions too but I know those are also just as competitive and I fear I may not be able to secure one of these positions either. Basically unsure as to what I should do next and if I should consider other research jobs that won't be in psychology but could allow me to support myself financially and begin paying off loans. Sorry to clog this forum with my situation but just wanted some ideas. Thank you in advance whoever reads this!! :)

Good luck as you finish up undergrad during these trying times! It is difficult for most recent grads to get into a PhD program right away. I know this is not necessarily comforting, but you are not alone in that. As for what to do next, if you're concerned with finances I suggest keeping up the effort to find a research gig. If that means working a side hustle to "volunteer" for a few months, so be it. But only do this if this will guarantee you a position (I'm very nervous about this 'work for free' culture). Ideally, though, you would get a paid position in a research lab at a University (psych would be awesome, but really any lab will do), and use their employee tuition discounts to take courses (either degree-seeking or non-degree seeking) to get your GPA up. If you don't get into a psych lab, you can always apply after gaining experience in a different department, making you a better candidate.

Personally I would do this first instead of a master's, because then you can get paid, gain experience, potentially be eligible for massive employee tuition discounts, and get more and more eligible for PhD programs in the next few years.

For context - I am about to turn 28. I got my master's right out of college (paid for with stipend luckily), but now have had to work for 3 years in a bachelor's-level research position anyways. I often think it would have been better to start out here instead of continuing my education just because I didn't think I was ready to join the work force (I totally was though). Also, age is just a number. I used to be scared to be in a grad program in my 30s but like...I'm going to turn 30 someday anyways. May as well be pursuing something I am wholly passionate about when I do. 

Has anyone gotten an interview this cycle with an average stat in some area (i.e lowish GPA but good research experience?). I know the programs said they will look at us holistically, but self doubt is definitely creeping in. It would be great if someone can affirm they received an interview/interviews and aren’t an absolute superstar in every area ?

5 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

has anyone else gotten an invite from univ of southern cali? do we think they're still rolling them out?

I’m also anxious about USC as it’s my absolute favorite program. Someone yesterday said each core faculty can interview 5 peeps, and each affiliated faculty can interview 2 peeps. They’ll admit 16 total students. It looks like the people who posted on the results page had SH as their POI, who did you apply to? Fingers crossed for us both!! 

1 minute ago, ResilientQueen said:

Has anyone gotten an interview this cycle with an average stat in some area (i.e lowish GPA but good research experience?). I know the programs said they will look at us holistically, but self doubt is definitely creeping in. It would be great if someone can affirm they received an interview/interviews and aren’t an absolute superstar in every area ?

I am in this boat and haven't received one yet ? Still hoping for some schools to reach out 

8 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

the GRE not being needed this round of applications was definitely my saving grace lmao I don't think I scored higher than 151 in either area. apart from that I had good GPA however only ONE OF my LOR was from someone in academia 

8 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

I’m also anxious about USC as it’s my absolute favorite program. Someone yesterday said each core faculty can interview 5 peeps, and each affiliated faculty can interview 2 peeps. They’ll admit 16 total students. It looks like the people who posted on the results page had SH as their POI, who did you apply to? Fingers crossed for us both!! 

I DM'd you!! :< )

21 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

I would argue that the fact I have no publications is a huge knock on my application but I was able to recieve interviews. I know that's a huge barrier for many students especially coming from schools with faculty that don't push for publications. And with the other poster, not having the GRE saved my butt. I have a 4.0 GPA for both grad and undergrad but my GRE score was a terrible 300 (148 Q 151 V). 

Edit: I think it says enough about me that I can't add 148 + 151 correctly

Edited by Gavindorf

22 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

My GPA is LOW (3 years of struggling through a bio-premed major killed me) but good research experience and other stats.  I've received two interviews both from schools that invite a lot of people to interviews, but its still an interview! Stay hopeful!! It is still early(ish)!! YOU GOT IT!

16 minutes ago, Schy said:

the GRE not being needed this round of applications was definitely my saving grace lmao I don't think I scored higher than 151 in either area. apart from that I had good GPA however only ONE OF my LOR was from someone in academia 

Last year with the GRE included I only received 1 invite from a funded program (and it was a lesser known program). This year without the GRE I've received FOUR invites so far all to funded and well known programs.

Screw the GRE ? My hope is that programs realize how useless it can be in determining who the best applicants truly are 

23 minutes ago, stressedha said:

My GPA is LOW (3 years of struggling through a bio-premed major killed me) but good research experience and other stats.  I've received two interviews both from schools that invite a lot of people to interviews, but its still an interview! Stay hopeful!! It is still early(ish)!! YOU GOT IT!

Congrats!!! ? My GPA is also lowish (premed my first year too LOL) so I’m worried that they took a look at my transcript and said “nope” it even though I have good research experience. So happy to hear that it’s still possible to get interviews, thanks so much!! 

49 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

To add on to this, my GPA is pretty mediocre (3.47), at least for grad school admissions lol, and my undergrad was in engineering, not psychology. I do have a few publications and a strong quantitative background that I highlighted, and am currently working in a clinical role, but was surprised and happy to have received 3 formal interview invites so far.

29 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Is anyone else worried about required GRE scores resuming next cycle? I know a few programs have already waived them for '22, but there's sill so much ambiguity.

Yes, I am terrified. I took the GRE in the height of the pandemic and scored terribly and don’t have the resources to take it again. I’m REALLY hoping the programs continue the trend of eliminating it from their requirements. What other programs have eliminated it? All I know of so far is Stony Brook and UF.

Edited by PsychApplicant2

For anyone applying to Yeshiva/Ferkauf:

"The program is in the midst of reviewing applications and extending interview offers.  We hope to be in touch before or by the beginning of February with an update on your application."

Hope this helps. Sounds like they have started extending invitations but aren't done yet. I freaked out a bit seeing that someone got an invite 6 days after application deadline! 

8 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Yes, I am terrified. I took the GRE in the height of the pandemic and scored terribly and don’t have the resources to take it again. I’m REALLY hoping the programs continue the trend of eliminating it from their requirements. What other programs have eliminated it? All I know of so far is Stony Brook and UF.

I truly hope so too.. I really wish they would get rid of it entirely. It's such a useless indicator of your success as a grad student.. researcher and clinician. It's also biased and flawed and elitist on top of that.