Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

14 minutes ago, wheelsup9234 said:

Hi everyone!

I have my first interview for a Clinical Psychology Phd program coming up and I'm freaking out and feeling extremely unprepared. I have a few questions that I would appreciate advice on!

1. I've read Mitch's guide and intend on asking questions mentioned there but is that enough? Should I be asking questions specific to the PIs research? What kind of questions?

2. That brings me to my next questions. I have very little research experience. And by very little I mean I helped with data collection in a lab in undergrad and have done lit reviews and helped with a minor publication after graduating.That's it. I feel uncomfortable talking about research design, statistical components, etc as I'm not knowledgable and don't have experience. I don't even know how to go about formulating questions about the PIs research. Will this be detrimental to me? How much do they expect you to know ahead of time. I do have my master's already but there was zero research done in my program. It was more clinically driven. 

3. I know I'll need to have some research ideas in mind but will that be enough to just have an idea on what I want to research? For example, "researching efficacy of interventions for cognitive aging" or is that too broad? I just know I won't be able to produce a hypothesis and have methods and design thought out as I just don't have the experience. Is it okay to say something along the lines of "I'm interested in xxx but have little experience with designing research studies..but I am eager to learn and take any advice into consideration" 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so nervous and definitely struggling from imposter syndrome. 

1. Don’t worry too much about memorizing an entire tome of questions. Focus on being yourself and approach all interviews as relaxed, natural conversations with fellow humans. PI’s really brighten up when interviews are more like engaged, reciprocal conversations.

2. Your interviewers already recognize the extent of your experience from your applications, so focus on being confident and upfront about what you know and that you’re excited to learn more!

3. Yes. It’s not expected for applicants to have a specific program of research already carved out. It’s okay to be a bit broad when describing your current research interest. The way that you described your area of interest is good enough, in my opinion!

6 hours ago, missmusical said:

Catholic university of America poster with POI BR: did you reach out and email him first or did he email you? I also applied to him and am wondering if he’s reaching out to everyone (which I imagine would take a lot of time) 

also, have all interview invites been extended? 

Hey, so I actually reached out to him directly and that’s when he told me. Also, I’m not sure if all interview invites have been extended but that the invites were limited this year.

Edited by agcruz

On 1/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, texaspsych21 said:

Applying to these graduate programs has been an eye-opening experience. It seems that the training of future psychologists is governed by the narrow needs and interests of a few faculty members, rather than the pressing mental health needs of the communities. So many dedicated people, eager to devote their lives to clinical psychology, are not able to gain access to the profession because entrance is so tightly regulated. If medical school admissions were run this way, there would be almost no physicians. I think the APA should reconsider the academic model for training and licensing of clinical psychologists, for this system fails to serve interests of future practitioners and patients alike.

Before things on the forum get too hectic I wanted to bring this back around. As a first-time applicant I am extremely disheartened by the way the field handles admissions. Have things only recently gotten this bad, or have they always been this way? Is there anything we could possibly do to address it as a concerned group (e.g. open letter)?

1 hour ago, PyschMama said:

Looks like Ferkauf invites for clinical PsyD have gone out? Saw someone post on the results page. Did anyone hear?

I'm in touch with a student there and she told me that if you haven't heard from them, don't worry as they tend to send their invites sporadically :)

8 minutes ago, kch16 said:

Before things on the forum get too hectic I wanted to bring this back around. As a first-time applicant I am extremely disheartened by the way the field handles admissions. Have things only recently gotten this bad, or have they always been this way? Is there anything we could possibly do to address it as a concerned group (e.g. open letter)?

This is my third time applying and I can confidently say that the field just handles admissions this way. It's truly abysmal. However, I have noticed that a lot of programs are becoming more self-aware? For example, programs that are deciding get rid of the GRE completely. I do wonder how much the university itself has a say in how a program runs things....

8 minutes ago, kch16 said:

Clinical psych admissions have always been extremely competitive, but I think this cycle brought it to a whole new level. I have a feeling that most programs will have a 1-5% acceptance rate this cycle due to the extreme uptick in applications. However, it's still extremely competitive and it always will be. I really wish something could change, but I think it's all about funding at this point.  

Okay weird thing just happened to me... I was looking at my past undergrad email to double check info from a poster i presented at a conference years ago and it looks like John Jay sent my rejection to that email on Jan 13? I never gave that email to CUNY or JJ, and never applied to JJ/CUNY in the past, so I'm extremely confused how they even got that email... Has something weird like this ever happened to anyone else? All my other correspondences with JJ were through my professional gmail. I mean, at least I missed a rejection and not an interview invite, but I'm so confused???

16 hours ago, JoePianist said:

1. Don’t worry too much about memorizing an entire tome of questions. Focus on being yourself and approach all interviews as relaxed, natural conversations with fellow humans. PI’s really brighten up when interviews are more like engaged, reciprocal conversations.

2. Your interviewers already recognize the extent of your experience from your applications, so focus on being confident and upfront about what you know and that you’re excited to learn more!

3. Yes. It’s not expected for applicants to have a specific program of research already carved out. It’s okay to be a bit broad when describing your current research interest. The way that you described your area of interest is good enough, in my opinion!

Thank you!! That is reassuring to here and makes me a little less nervous! 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 PM, seahorse_671 said:

Anyone on here get an e-mail that they were waitlisted for UVA's clinical/school psych program? I've read about some schools sending out waitlist e-mails that really just stand in as a rejection so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there is a legit waitlist. I'm a little skeptical considering I didn't even interview (unless it's a waitlist for an interview ?)

Thanks!

I did! I am assuming it was waitlisted for an interview, since they would likely interview if I was waitlisted and I haven't received anymore info. However, I haven't seen anyone report formal interview for them yet (I believe?) so it is possible they are still reviewing applicants. I honestly assume a rejection, because who would turn down an interview from them lol. But at least I know that I was at least considered a strong applicant which eases the sting and should be some consolation for you if it ends up being a rejection! I have my fingers crossed for you though!

5 minutes ago, stressedha said:

Has anyone actually heard from ASU Clinical? There was an earlier post saying applications were being reviewed in January, but on the results page someone (hopefully a troll???) said all invites were sent in December.

Where did you see the post saying all invites were sent in December? I haven't seen anything for clinical on the results page yet

15 minutes ago, stressedha said:

Has anyone actually heard from ASU Clinical? There was an earlier post saying applications were being reviewed in January, but on the results page someone (hopefully a troll???) said all invites were sent in December.

The post on the result page was for The University of Arizona, so a different school. I also have not heard anything back from ASU either. I am hoping we will hear something this week. Good luck!!

Just now, Clincialpsych2021 said:

The post on the result page was for The University of Arizona, so a different school. I also have not heard anything back from ASU either. I am hoping we will hear something this week. Good luck!!

AH my bad I did not read that correctly at all. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, stressedha said:

AH my bad I did not read that correctly at all. Thanks!

I do see a rejection for ASU now, though it's one person and I, personally have not yet received an email. Seems conveniently timed to this conversation (if the poster sees this and you are telling the truth I'm sorry, I'm suspicious of trolling on the results page).

Edited by kch16