Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

23 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of communication from departments when contacted directly? I've emailed two with a basic yes/no question and never heard back. I know they're busy, but it literally takes 5 seconds to send a response that can really help ease someone's mind. Given that our app fees are what's helping to support these programs, it seems like decent courtesy to me. 

I totally get the frustration and I’m sorry that’s been your experience. Just for the record- app fees don’t go directly to programs, at least at my university. They may go indirectly to programs via general grad school funding, but it’s not like we get them right into our budget. Believe me, I wish the fact that clinical gets like 7x as many apps as experimental in my dept made a difference in our within-dept resources...

10 minutes ago, PsychProf said:

I totally get the frustration and I’m sorry that’s been your experience. Just for the record- app fees don’t go directly to programs, at least at my university. They may go indirectly to programs via general grad school funding, but it’s not like we get them right into our budget. Believe me, I wish the fact that clinical gets like 7x as many apps as experimental in my dept made a difference in our within-dept resources...

I can understand that funding isn't necessarily cut-and-dry, and I can only imagine the various frustrations inherent to navigating this sort of issue. Whether grad student or department chair, I'm sure all parties can relate on this side.

Is there a reason why all programs don't just immediately reject those who they know they won't interview or waitlist? Why wait until April to send rejections? It would give applicants peace of mind, and would stop programs from getting emails asking about interviews.

1 hour ago, kch16 said:

Is there a reason why all programs don't just immediately reject those who they know they won't interview or waitlist? Why wait until April to send rejections? It would give applicants peace of mind, and would stop programs from getting emails asking about interviews.

It’s not to be sadistic, I promise! We reject people we feel sure we won’t admit early-ish (Jan) but hold on to apps for 50ish more people than we invite to interview just in case we decide to go back into our pool and interview more. I don’t know if everyone does it this way, though. The waitlist folks aren’t notified of their status and may not get a form letter rejection until we complete our class (March-April).

Edited by PsychProf

9 minutes ago, PsychProf said:

It’s not be sadistic, I promise! We reject people we feel sure we won’t admit early-ish (Jan) but hold on to apps for 50ish more people than we invite to interview just in case we decide to go back into our pool and interview more. I don’t know if everyone does it this way, though. The waitlist folks aren’t notified of their status and may not get a form letter rejection until we complete our class (March-April).

Thank you for your always informative info!

21 minutes ago, missmusical said:

anyone contact ASU to see if all invites went out? assuming yes if rejections also went out?

also curious about St. John's, Syracuse, and Purdue :)

I'm planning on emailing them tomorrow! will let you know if they respond

So, I asked a prof for advice about what to do during this year that I prepare to apply again end of this year, and she suggested I get more clinical experience and network with professors I am interested in working with. Good advice, but I do not know how to do this. I spent a year after graduating trying to get clinical experience, but they all want previous clinical experience. I know I can volunteer somewhere, but I'm worried that won't give me the hours I need by next application cycle? I also can't really afford to just volunteer so many hours a week without getting paid... I also do not know how to reach out to profs I have no previous connection with. This is mostly due to anxiety that I will say something wrong or come across as annoying and ruin all my chances. Any advice on either of these dilemmas? I guess additionally, for both PsyD and PhD programs, how much clinical experience do we need? Thank you all for any insight!!!! 

Just now, Clincialpsych2021 said:

For people who heard back from ASU...Did you get an email? Or, if you checked the portal which one was it- the application on their website or slide room? I haven't recieved an email but also can't find any information on either portal. Thank you! 

would also like to know. pretty sure most people got a mass email. In the same boat as you. Not sure if we'll get a rejection letter in a different wave of emails, if we're on the waitlist for interviews. would also like to know the answer to your questions

9 minutes ago, Clincialpsych2021 said:

For people who heard back from ASU...Did you get an email? Or, if you checked the portal which one was it- the application on their website or slide room? I haven't recieved an email but also can't find any information on either portal. Thank you! 

Did you check on the MyASU site? i'm asking bc I didn't even know it existed until yesterday ?

3 minutes ago, copsych said:

Not sure whether folks asking about ASU are referring to Clinical PhD..if so, I don’t know. But, I did get an interview invite a week or so ago for Counseling PhD from PI directly. My portal still says “In Review”

Yes, I applied to the Clinical program so it might be a little different but who knows?? Congratulations on your interview and good luck!

University of Nebraska Lincoln (clinical psych) might not be done extending interview invites!

I literally just heard from the PI I applied to and I have an interview! The interview is not on their regularly scheduled interview day either, I might add, because they cannot accommodate everyone at that time.

Don't give up hope just yet! It has been a wild year not only for us as applicants, but for those on the admissions end as well.

Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, PsychProf said:

It’s not be sadistic, I promise! We reject people we feel sure we won’t admit early-ish (Jan) but hold on to apps for 50ish more people than we invite to interview just in case we decide to go back into our pool and interview more. I don’t know if everyone does it this way, though. The waitlist folks aren’t notified of their status and may not get a form letter rejection until we complete our class (March-April).

Your information has been incredibly valuable and informative, thank you!

44 minutes ago, Desperate13 said:

So, I asked a prof for advice about what to do during this year that I prepare to apply again end of this year, and she suggested I get more clinical experience and network with professors I am interested in working with. Good advice, but I do not know how to do this. I spent a year after graduating trying to get clinical experience, but they all want previous clinical experience. I know I can volunteer somewhere, but I'm worried that won't give me the hours I need by next application cycle? I also can't really afford to just volunteer so many hours a week without getting paid... I also do not know how to reach out to profs I have no previous connection with. This is mostly due to anxiety that I will say something wrong or come across as annoying and ruin all my chances. Any advice on either of these dilemmas? I guess additionally, for both PsyD and PhD programs, how much clinical experience do we need? Thank you all for any insight!!!! 

If you want to reach out to professors to network with them, I would recommend waiting a month so after they become less busy with application/interview season. I don't think it will be annoying to reach out- you can always say you are interested in the work they are doing, hoping to apply to graduate school in the future, and interested in gaining more experience in the type of work they are doing. Then ask if they have any volunteer positions open (including remote work since some labs may still be working virtually and may not require you to move). If they don't have any, they may sometimes connect you to someone who does. 

2 hours ago, Desperate13 said:

I'm not sure "how much" experience you need in terms of hours, but I was advised that the type of clinical work that PhD/PsyD programs would look for needs to involve severe and persistent mental illness. I would also say that rather than thinking "I need x hours at this place" just aim for staying at a placement for a good amount of time like at least 6 months or so. Programs want to see you can stick to places, and this would possibly allow you to build relationships for additional recommendations. To be honest, the only application that actually asked for a specific number of hours that I had was PSYCAS, and I doubt someone would ask that much detail during an interview. 

Don't worry about being "annoying" or "saying something wrong." Researchers / professors get emails from interested students often, and the worst that they could do is ignore your email. The way you word things won't ruin your chances unless you go in there demanding a position or actually say something rude. If they ignored your email or responded with disinterest, I doubt any way that you worded the email would have changed anything. 

Can the person who posted "There were serious discrepancies and issues with the admissions process at CUNY this year that are being investigated as several applications appear to have been affected with information either added, subtracted, or information sent to emails unassociated with the application." on the results page please expand on this? This happened to me, they sent my rejection to an email that I had NEVER provided to them and this was my first time applying to any program in the CUNY system. 

I'm just wondering how you know that there were these problems and if this possibly means that their system had been breached? Should I be worried that the information that I provided on the application has been "hacked in to" ? I did not respond to them when they send my rejection but should I respond and say something?