2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

3 hours ago, coffee7874 said:

I was told by my POI that there may or may not be a clinical interview for some applicants, you may receive an acceptance without one. Either way invitations/acceptances he said will be around mid - February. 

Edit: never mind I saw the previous comments, ignore this haha

Edited by carlrogersfan98

18 hours ago, UroboroS said:

Same for mine!

I actually received an email from Mac this past Monday that told me they were unable to view my Transcript for some reason. I resent it this past Tuesday (19th) and it now says "Complete". Likely, they just haven't reviewed yours yet since they are only just realizing they couldn't open mine!

1 hour ago, iliketurtlestoo said:

Sure. But the OP said they were struggling. Unless there are two offers, that's a self imposed unnecessary struggle. 

There’s personal reasons why I am conflicted and dont feel the need to publicly post about it, was just hoping for some friendly thoughts from others .. 

4 minutes ago, Drew James said:

Anyone heard from Calgary regarding open house invites? According to the results page, formal invites went out, but I think they may have come from the POI (instead of the program). 

I can confirm that they came from POI. POI mentioned official invite would follow soon.

I have a couple of quick questions about the application season: 

• how long after applications to URegina and LakeheadU do we receive news about their decisions or potential interviews?
  • how long after the UofT formal interview do we find out about their decisions? 

Thank you in advance! 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:11 AM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Totally.

so I guess this is where I’m struggling. I think my ideal supervisor is at one school, but my ideal program is at another. 

How would you decide!!!

This is a very valid conflict! One of the things that might work is making a pros and cons list for the two schools. This is what I did last year (but with three schools) because I had two offers on the table, but I hadn’t yet heard back from one more program, which was also high on my list due to the specific specialization.

I needed to decide if I should accept an offer already on the table, or wait to see if I got an offer to the third school I was waiting to hear back from. Ultimately, by making a pros/cons list for the schools, I realized the best fit for me was a school I already had an offer for.

I’m not sure if making a pros/cons list is suitable for everyone, but I can say it definitely helped me sus out some uncertainties and evaluate what was most important to me. It also helped me consider some things I hadn’t yet thought much about. Rejecting a program offer and accepting another can be a scary thing! The decision has a lot of power to change the course of your life.

7 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

This is a very valid conflict! One of the things that might work is making a pros and cons list for the two schools. This is what I did last year (but with three schools) because I had two offers on the table, but I hadn’t yet heard back from one more program, which was also high on my list due to the specific specialization.

I needed to decide if I should accept an offer already on the table, or wait to see if I got an offer to the third school I was waiting to hear back from. Ultimately, by making a pros/cons list for the schools, I realized the best fit for me was a school I already had an offer for.

I’m not sure if making a pros/cons list is suitable for everyone, but I can say it definitely helped me sus out some uncertainties and evaluate what was most important to me. It also helped me consider some things I hadn’t yet thought much about. Rejecting a program offer and accepting another can be a scary thing! The decision has a lot of power to change the course of your life.

Thank you for such a thoughtful response! This is super helpful

I'm really curious, does anyone have any thoughts on how important the following factors are and what you should consider in choosing programs to apply to or attend?

- 6 vs 7 year programs (and how programs are split up - e.g., 2 year MA + 4 year PhD, 1 year MA + 5 year PhD, etc.)

- Overall workload/intensity of the program (does this really differ between schools or are they all roughly the same? If it differs, which schools have heavier or lighter workloads?)

- Model (clinical scientist vs scientist practitioner)

Hope to hear some of your opinions on these :) 

3 minutes ago, psych011011 said:

I'm really curious, does anyone have any thoughts on how important the following factors are and what you should consider in choosing programs to apply to or attend?

- 6 vs 7 year programs (and how programs are split up - e.g., 2 year MA + 4 year PhD, 1 year MA + 5 year PhD, etc.)

- Overall workload/intensity of the program (does this really differ between schools or are they all roughly the same? If it differs, which schools have heavier or lighter workloads?)

This is such a great question. I'm curious to read everyone's replies! 

I'm currently in my final year of undergrad and I'm applying to 2 programs. Unfortunately, location was really important for me because I am unable to relocate. I think that if I was able to move then Iocation probably wouldn't have been as important to me. Besides location, the model of the program (clinical scientist vs scientist practitioner) as well as supervisor fit were top on my list.

Workload is something that I think about a lot too. I love research and I love academics, but I want to maintain a healthy work-life balance. I'm not sure if this is true, but I felt that there was no clear way to evaluate a programs workload. It seems like it may depend on the supervisor? 

1 hour ago, psych011011 said:

For me location + intensity of the program (since I want to go into academia I want a school and supervisor who encourages research productivity!) but with that said, I think worklife balance is SO important and discussing this with potential PIs is vital

Edited by freudianslipintogradschool

For those of you where things aren't looking too hot this year in terms of admissions, when are you planning on inquiring about jobs? I was encouraged by a place I did an internship at to reach out for jobs in case grad school plans don't work out post-graduation (it's a rehab clinic and I did biofeedback and psychoed groups with the clients; if I returned I'd be working as a psychometrist), however I've been getting LinkedIn notifications for jobs and I've found some other really good positions that I qualify for. I was planning on beginning to actually send inquiries in about mid-March or so... is that still too early? I just don't want to be lounging about unemployed for too long after graduation, I fear I'll slip into post-grad depression if I do haha.

Edited by carlrogersfan98

33 minutes ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

Has anyone heard from adult clinical in Windsor? :( they seem to be radio silent

I didn't apply to the adult stream specifically but I haven't heard a peep from Windsor and I don't think anyone else has. I'm expecting that next week or the week after initial notifications will go out judging from previous years. It's probably just backlog from more applications this year? It seems like there are a few people on this forum who applied to Windsor (myself included) so I wouldn't start worrying about it yet.

29 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I didn't apply to the adult stream specifically but I haven't heard a peep from Windsor and I don't think anyone else has. I'm expecting that next week or the week after initial notifications will go out judging from previous years. It's probably just backlog from more applications this year? It seems like there are a few people on this forum who applied to Windsor (myself included) so I wouldn't start worrying about it yet.

That is really helpful! Thank you so very much! Best of luck! Hopefully we hear soon.