2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

27 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Thanks! I'm thinking of the official CPA one with the average time to completion, internships match rates, fees etc. I believe all accredited programs are required to post but I haven't been able to find it...

Hello! I was invited to attend the McGill clinical interview day and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best prepare. The day will involve interviews with several faculty members, an orientation with the clinical training director, a clinical training panel, and a chance to meet with graduate students. What do y'all think will be involved in each part of the day? How many interviews should I expect? What's a clinical training panel? Any help is appreciated (I'm pretty stressed if you couldn't tell)!!

9 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

For those of you where things aren't looking too hot this year in terms of admissions, when are you planning on inquiring about jobs? I was encouraged by a place I did an internship at to reach out for jobs in case grad school plans don't work out post-graduation (it's a rehab clinic and I did biofeedback and psychoed groups with the clients; if I returned I'd be working as a psychometrist), however I've been getting LinkedIn notifications for jobs and I've found some other really good positions that I qualify for. I was planning on beginning to actually send inquiries in about mid-March or so... is that still too early? I just don't want to be lounging about unemployed for too long after graduation, I fear I'll slip into post-grad depression if I do haha.

I took a couple years off before starting my current master's program and I remember starting to apply [to psych lab research positions] around March/early April to avoid the rush of graduating students who will also be looking at the end of April/early May. Not sure what everyone else's experiences have been but I would def recommend applying formally around then. I honestly think any time starting now-ish is totally reasonable to start feeling it out by reaching out to potential places you'd like to work! It's worth it to see if they anticipate having positions/if these places are even a fit for you? 

54 minutes ago, mphxpsych said:

I took a couple years off before starting my current master's program and I remember starting to apply [to psych lab research positions] around March/early April to avoid the rush of graduating students who will also be looking at the end of April/early May. Not sure what everyone else's experiences have been but I would def recommend applying formally around then. I honestly think any time starting now-ish is totally reasonable to start feeling it out by reaching out to potential places you'd like to work! It's worth it to see if they anticipate having positions/if these places are even a fit for you? 

Is there anywhere that you recommend looking for these positions? I've been looking around, but haven't seen any postings. Do you just email the labs to ask, or do they typically post somewhere? 

6 minutes ago, Wanderingmind said:

Is there anywhere that you recommend looking for these positions? I've been looking around, but haven't seen any postings. Do you just email the labs to ask, or do they typically post somewhere? 

Your best bet would be on university career sites in your area! When I was applying, I just searched "University of x jobs" and you will typically find opportunities there. If you live in an area with research hospitals (CAMH for example has TONS of research assistant jobs), then that's also a good bet! Again not sure if others have different experiences, but from what I've seen, it's harder to find paid employment by emailing labs or PIs directly because if they had the funding, they would probably have posted a job haha. But if you wanna get some volunteer experience under your belt/can't find anything paid, I've had a lot of success emailing labs and asking if they need volunteers! :)

4 minutes ago, mphxpsych said:

Your best bet would be on university career sites in your area! When I was applying, I just searched "University of x jobs" and you will typically find opportunities there. If you live in an area with research hospitals (CAMH for example has TONS of research assistant jobs), then that's also a good bet! Again not sure if others have different experiences, but from what I've seen, it's harder to find paid employment by emailing labs or PIs directly because if they had the funding, they would probably have posted a job haha. But if you wanna get some volunteer experience under your belt/can't find anything paid, I've had a lot of success emailing labs and asking if they need volunteers! :)

Thank you!! I will definitely try that

17 hours ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

Has anyone heard from adult clinical in Windsor? :( they seem to be radio silent

Nothing yet :( I had an informal chat with a POI and she said they’d be sending out interviews mid Jan..

maybe they’re running behind

School: McMaster University

Program: Clinical and Research Training Program, Psychology MA

Interview type: Feb 12th

Date of Invite: Jan 24th

DM for POI(s): Interview is with a panel of faculty

Just got an interview at McMaster!!! 

8 minutes ago, Psychqueen said:

Congratulations! That's very exciting news! Was the email from the admissions committee?

10 minutes ago, Psychqueen said:

Likewise :) DM for POI. 

Date of Invite: Jan 24th

DM for POI(s): You can DM for my POI initials but this email wasn't from my POI but from the director of the program

Yay! I also just got an interview from McMaster RCT program!!

I'm a little terrified because interviews will just be 20-25 minutes in front of the admissions committee. Has anyone here ever done a formal interview that was that short? 

Also, the email said that these were the "first interviews" for the program. I wonder what this means. Maybe they will they have another round??

Did anyone here apply to both clinical and counselling programs? and if you did what were your reasons? ..or any current counselling psychology students on here please tell us about the counselling  program? if you like it? how you get practicum sites? does the program help or you have to find on your own? I know it's self funded but any chance of grants? if interested in a PhD later have you done a qualifying paper? what does that entail? I applied to OISE counselling & psychotherapy. And also to OISE clinical. I just wonder if current students who  start the counselling  program later wish they had applied to/or waited to instead get into clinical? especially when housed in same dept like OISE!

What mentors are doing research in Borderline Personality Disorder (in Canada)? Any suggestions for which universities to apply to, if that is my main research interest? How is funding for Canadian universities? 

26 minutes ago, venus rose said:

What mentors are doing research in Borderline Personality Disorder (in Canada)? Any suggestions for which universities to apply to, if that is my main research interest? How is funding for Canadian universities? 

I know EK at UBC does some work on BPD but I dont think its his main area of research.

1 hour ago, venus rose said:

https://clinicalneurosciences.ca - Anthony C. Ruocco (U of T Clinical) - https://clinicalneurosciences.ca/publications (lots of BPD publications in this lab)

https://erinannekaufman.wixsite.com/mappedlab - Erin Kaufman (UWO Clinical - https://erinannekaufman.wixsite.com/mappedlab/publications

https://www.tuliplab.ca - Skye Fitzpatrick (YorkU Clinical) - https://www.tuliplab.ca/publications.html

https://www.sfu.ca/psychology/research/perl/ - Alexander Chapman (SFU Clinical) - https://www.sfu.ca/psychology/about/people/profiles/alchapma.html

Edited by VanessaB

1 hour ago, venus rose said:

@VanessaB provided some great mentors to check out!

I'll add, I'm not sure if you are an international student, but I would also inquire as to whether any of these programs are/will accept international students. Sometimes it is outlined on the program website and sometimes it isn't. Due to (I think covid?) many schools this year aren't considering international students. I wish this was more clear, because I think it's still possible to submit and pay for an application as an international student, even though they won't consider your application. Something to consider if you plan on applying in the fall! 

Good luck :) 

19 minutes ago, UroboroS said:

@VanessaB provided some great mentors to check out!

I'll add, I'm not sure if you are an international student, but I would also inquire as to whether any of these programs are/will accept international students. Sometimes it is outlined on the program website and sometimes it isn't. Due to (I think covid?) many schools this year aren't considering international students. I wish this was more clear, because I think it's still possible to submit and pay for an application as an international student, even though they won't consider your application. Something to consider if you plan on applying in the fall! 

Good luck :) 

I would be international, yes. Do you have suggestions for which schools might take international students?

30 minutes ago, venus rose said:

I would be international, yes. Do you have suggestions for which schools might take international students?

Hi, I'm sorry I don't know. You'll have to check out the individual program websites or contact the program coordinators at your schools of interest.

11 hours ago, venus rose said:

AU and AR both at the uoft Scarborough program study bpd, one from a more neuropsych/neurobiological perspective and the other from a more psychotherapy oriented perspective