Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on 2y MSW vs 2y BSW + 1y MSW. I've applied to 2 of each, and I've done a good bit of thinking and number crunching and it seems like based on cost of living in the various cities and available financial aid, it might actually be less expensive to do a BSW first, even though it would take a year longer (aside from a little bit of opportunity cost from working that 3rd year instead). I think what I most need to work on (something that doesn't come as naturally to me) are clinical skills - I feel pretty good about the research and theory side. At this point, I'm thinking I'd almost prefer the extra placement hours and extra time to have a really solid base. I also am just a tiny bit away from the required avg. to apply for OGS (& tri-council funding if I end up doing a thesis) and feel pretty confident that I could up my gpa given a few more undergrad courses. No offers out yet though so I may be getting way ahead of myself!

Would it be ridiculous to turn down an MSW offer for a BSW (with the plan to do an MSW later)? Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

Does anyone know when Laurier usually sends out their 2-year acceptances?

People started to hear back from 2y Laurier (in-person) Apr. 3rd (2018), Mar. 31st (2019), and Apr. 9th (2020). Although I'm pretty sure these were rejections - I think they send those out first. Seemed like there was a pretty long period of time where people heard back gradually, compared to other schools.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

On 3/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, Blossom22 said:

I think I saw a few pages back that York’s 2 year MSW acceptance letters were going out in April. Has there been any word on when advanced standing ones will be out? 

Hi there! I'm currently at the BSW Program at York and heard from the Grad Program Director that they're aiming to have offers sent out by the end of this month. :)

8 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

People started to hear back from 2y Laurier (in-person) Apr. 3rd (2018), Mar. 31st (2019), and Apr. 9th (2020). Although I'm pretty sure these were rejections - I think they send those out first. Seemed like there was a pretty long period of time where people heard back gradually, compared to other schools.

Oh wow okay! Thank you! Hoping to not hear back soon then haha?

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on 2y MSW vs 2y BSW + 1y MSW. I've applied to 2 of each, and I've done a good bit of thinking and number crunching and it seems like based on cost of living in the various cities and available financial aid, it might actually be less expensive to do a BSW first, even though it would take a year longer (aside from a little bit of opportunity cost from working that 3rd year instead). I think what I most need to work on (something that doesn't come as naturally to me) are clinical skills - I feel pretty good about the research and theory side. At this point, I'm thinking I'd almost prefer the extra placement hours and extra time to have a really solid base. I also am just a tiny bit away from the required avg. to apply for OGS (& tri-council funding if I end up doing a thesis) and feel pretty confident that I could up my gpa given a few more undergrad courses. No offers out yet though so I may be getting way ahead of myself!

Would it be ridiculous to turn down an MSW offer for a BSW (with the plan to do an MSW later)? Thoughts?

Honestly, since MSW programs are so competitive I would accept the MSW if it was offered. I actually applied to both a couple years ago and was waitlisted at Toronto and York but accepted into the York Post-Degree BSW program that I am actually just completing now. The BSW route was longer but I am really grateful for the opportunity and I was accepted into an MSW program for this September. I think however you get there is the right way for you! Only you know what is best for you :) wishing you the best!

10 hours ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey, I thought I'd share some quick thoughts on this. I am just completing my BSW degree now and will be entering an advanced standing MSW program this year, so that's the perspective I'm coming from. 

The nice thing about going to a 2 year MSW program is that you only have to apply once, rather than applying again after completing a BSW. You'll probably want to keep your marks high in your BSW program in order maintain a competitive edge to get into an MSW program after, whereas once you were in a 2 year MSW program you would not have to worry about marks as much (unless of course you plan to do more schooling after). Also, if you don't get into an MSW program right off the bat after completing a BSW (which is not unlikely, especially as many MSW program admissions have a strong focus on post-BSW experience) would you be okay with that? For some people, the break in between might be a good opportunity to take time away from being in school, whereas for others it might feel like just killing time. A break in between a BSW and MSW or doing a part time MSW after a BSW would also allow you to get some work experience in the field prior to finishing an MSW program, and the BSW may open some doors for getting work in the field as well.

Also, if you went to a 2 year MSW program with a clinical focus, it may be the case that you'd get to start focusing on getting clinically oriented coursework and practicums completed earlier in your social work education. For example, many clinical practicum placements are only open to MSW students rather than BSW students, and also I do not know of any BSW programs that have a clinical focus, most of them have a more general focus. 

Best of luck on the path you choose! There are no wrong choices.

11 hours ago, afk612 said:

Hey, I thought I'd share some quick thoughts on this. I am just completing my BSW degree now and will be entering an advanced standing MSW program this year, so that's the perspective I'm coming from. 

The nice thing about going to a 2 year MSW program is that you only have to apply once, rather than applying again after completing a BSW. You'll probably want to keep your marks high in your BSW program in order maintain a competitive edge to get into an MSW program after, whereas once you were in a 2 year MSW program you would not have to worry about marks as much (unless of course you plan to do more schooling after). Also, if you don't get into an MSW program right off the bat after completing a BSW (which is not unlikely, especially as many MSW program admissions have a strong focus on post-BSW experience) would you be okay with that? For some people, the break in between might be a good opportunity to take time away from being in school, whereas for others it might feel like just killing time. A break in between a BSW and MSW or doing a part time MSW after a BSW would also allow you to get some work experience in the field prior to finishing an MSW program, and the BSW may open some doors for getting work in the field as well.

Also, if you went to a 2 year MSW program with a clinical focus, it may be the case that you'd get to start focusing on getting clinically oriented coursework and practicums completed earlier in your social work education. For example, many clinical practicum placements are only open to MSW students rather than BSW students, and also I do not know of any BSW programs that have a clinical focus, most of them have a more general focus. 

Best of luck on the path you choose! There are no wrong choices.

Thanks so much for this, your perspective is super helpful! I think maybe clinical skills wasn't the right wording. While I have a decent amount of experience that could be considered human services/social work related, I think I could benefit from the BSW practicums, to get more direct experience and have a better general baseline. I think I'm also someone who wouldn't mind a break b/w BSW & MSW if I don't get in - I feel like I'll have done a lot of years of postsecondary by that point. Realistically at this point I just have to wait and see what happens - at least if I don't get into any MSWs I've made peace with the BSW route already!

I see a lot of people saying that they've been checking "Acorn" for U of T admissions. Can someone please tell me what that is? I applied for the 2-year MSW and I have just been checking SGS. 

Does anyone know if people from previous years saw Acorn change in the morning exclusively? Or did people hear throughout the day?

Just wondering if it’s worth checking after noon.

Good luck everyone!!! 

11 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Does anyone know if people from previous years saw Acorn change in the morning exclusively? Or did people hear throughout the day?

Just wondering if it’s worth checking after noon.

Good luck everyone!!! 

Not really sure about am or pm but side note: I forget if it was 2019 or 2020 but people saw acorn change on a Sunday. You never really know when it will happen lolol 

28 minutes ago, sammyk said:

I see a lot of people saying that they've been checking "Acorn" for U of T admissions. Can someone please tell me what that is? I applied for the 2-year MSW and I have just been checking SGS. 

Hey, when you first applied they sent an email out asking you to register for your JOINid. If you find that email you can register and it brings you to the ACORN portal. There on the dashboard, according to previous years, it updates usually before the SGS status does. Thats why people check it as well. I hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

I'm a current UofT student, so I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit every time I log into Acorn and see "invited" and it's just for the summer session ?

I am also a UFT student and relate to this so so much! ... good to know i am not the only one loosing my mind lol..