2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

12 minutes ago, SanC said:

Also claim a UChicago reject. App forwarded to CIR.

Do we have consensus that all rejected apps were forwarded to an MA program?

Nope! A couple people that I know just got a standard rejection letter! You can see on the MAPSS and CIR website how many apps they get as well! (It is clear then that not all apps are forwarded).

23 minutes ago, rash_sulganni said:

@Crossed_fingers I noticed you have a Riverside acceptance. When did you hear from them and what's your subfield? It's been a month since I interviewed and I haven't heard back. I am wondering if I should send an email.

I didn’t interview with them and my subfield is American politics and political behavior. They reached out to me last Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, XXXXbe1 said:

5 yrs of funding, 4 yrs of summer fellowship. 18k - 20k per year for 9 months, summer fellowship amount varied, but can cover living fee and fieldwork and no need to do TA/RA.

Did they send you funding info or was it just verbal during the "interview"? And how long was it?

5 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

It is most likely a troll. People will claim a Cornell admit on here. Someone is using the post about decision being released this week to troll us.

Thanks for your message. It’s so annoying. I reckon I’ll just stick to this thread only from now on, it’s not worth the stress!

Edited by hannahbananapie
Typo

51 minutes ago, rash_sulganni said:

@Crossed_fingers I noticed you have a Riverside acceptance. When did you hear from them and what's your subfield? It's been a month since I interviewed and I haven't heard back. I am wondering if I should send an email.

25 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

I didn’t interview with them and my subfield is American politics and political behavior. They reached out to me last Wednesday. 

Hey, I'm new here. Also waiting to hear from Riverside but didn't get called for an interview. Should I assume rejection? Political theory

2 minutes ago, topochica said:

Wondering if anyone besides @BrownSugar applied to LSE? It's the one school I think I have a shot at. Interviewed last month and still waiting.

I applied to one of LSE's MSc programs. I'm a bit worried about funding though...

2 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I applied to one of LSE's MSc programs. I'm a bit worried about funding though...

Let's hope for the best! I applied to PhD which gives me a better shot at funding with them, but it will be an automatic decline if I'm not offered any.

13 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Did they send you funding info or was it just verbal during the "interview"? And how long was it?

The official info will be sent next week, but they mentioned in detail for my funding through interview. 

If they did not mention any funding stuff, here is the hint (Mentioned by DGS through interview)

if you hold a Master degree, your funding will be 19k, otherwise, 18k for 9 months. Once you passed qualifying exam, it will increase to 20k. Plus, students will be guranteed for 4 yrs of summer fellowship, at least cover their living cost, and your fieldwork will also be supported by the department, but the amount will vary based on the available relevant fundings.

My interview is around 15 mins, very chatty,

34 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

I see. Mine is political behaviour and comparative politics. Thanks anyway and Congrats!

11 minutes ago, topochica said:

Hey, I'm new here. Also waiting to hear from Riverside but didn't get called for an interview. Should I assume rejection? Political theory

I should say my interview wasn't exactly formal. The POI said it was a "meeting to discuss UCR"

26 minutes ago, topochica said:

Let's hope for the best! I applied to PhD which gives me a better shot at funding with them, but it will be an automatic decline if I'm not offered any.

Good luck!! It actually is not easier to get PhD funding at LSE, but it's a good sign if you haven't heard from them yet. It likely means you are being considered by the funding panels because they meet in February! :)

5 hours ago, XXXXbe1 said:

5 yrs of funding, 4 yrs of summer fellowship. 18k - 20k per year for 9 months, summer fellowship amount varied, but can cover living fee and fieldwork and no need to do TA/RA.

Can you live yearly with 20k ? I think is very on the limit. Specially, if you eventually have to pay for additional things like medical visits or medication.

How much rent costs a decent (not good) housing option (say a shared flat with you own bedroom) in DC?

Edit: also, you will pay taxes from the 20k. If you are a non resident international student it can be between 11% and 15% of the stipend depending on the state income tax. 

Edited by skullkid