2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

30 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Good morning everyone.  :) 

It's Friday... I think some people will receive acceptances today.  

This positivity is largely welcome both today and throughout the remaining weeks haha 

Northwestern Update -- I just called the department and whoever answered says that they're working as fast as they can to notify applicants. I asked if all the acceptances have gone out and he said he did not know and that they work on each file one at time. In other words, they don't send all acceptances and waitlists and then all the rejections. They send them all mixed throughout. No clue when they'll be done. :(

8 minutes ago, loiewo said:

Northwestern Update -- I just called the department and whoever answered says that they're working as fast as they can to notify applicants. I asked if all the acceptances have gone out and he said he did not know and that they work on each file one at time. In other words, they don't send all acceptances and waitlists and then all the rejections. They send them all mixed throughout. No clue when they'll be done. :(

is that true though or just them saying that? (not doubting you but rather wondering if others wanna weigh in with their opinions)

4 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

is that true though or just them saying that? (not doubting you but rather wondering if others wanna weigh in with their opinions)

I would guess that if everything left for them to do was send rejections, their work would be a lot quicker.

I may be biased though as I'm holding out hope for an A...

15 minutes ago, loiewo said:

Interesting.  In previous years Northwestern always sent out acceptances first.  Maybe they have a new procedure this year.  

58 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Can anyone claim the Cornell waitlist?

Longtime lurker here (sorry, I know that sort of decreases any incentive to trust this, I'm just not a big internet poster!). I can claim a Cornell waitlist in CP. It didn't look like a mail merge, so more could certainly be coming but I honestly don't know. It's a dream program for me, so I'm really hoping it works out! 

4 minutes ago, Sharpweaselz said:

I would guess that if everything left for them to do was send rejections, their work would be a lot quicker.

I may be biased though as I'm holding out hope for an A...

I’m hopeful we get good news but I just can’t justify betting on it at this point. Feels like they gave us a cop out answer

3 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Interesting.  In previous years Northwestern always sent out acceptances first.  Maybe they have a new procedure this year.  

it's also possible that the person i talked to doesn't actually know the procedure and only admission committee does

13 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

i wonder the same thing! don't know if he was just sort of guessing but he did say that they do it that way to keep it fair for everyone... whatever that means?

Just now, StarkDark1 said:

I am sorry guys but no. I have been lurking here since early Jan and NW has been saying the same thing since the first acceptance came out. @nivy25 and @polnerd have called a few time and its is the same story. You really think a standardized acceptance/rejection letter (so far the acceptance and rejections have been a standardized letter in the portal) will take them these long? Nope. Something else is going on - and it doesn't send a good message for that department.

4 minutes ago, polisci19 said:

Longtime lurker here (sorry, I know that sort of decreases any incentive to trust this, I'm just not a big internet poster!). I can claim a Cornell waitlist in CP. It didn't look like a mail merge, so more could certainly be coming but I honestly don't know. It's a dream program for me, so I'm really hoping it works out! 

Congrats! When did you receive the waitlist notification? Was it from the DGS or the coordinator? Thanks

4 minutes ago, Prof2B said:

I am sorry guys but no. I have been lurking here since early Jan and NW has been saying the same thing since the first acceptance came out. @nivy25 and @polnerd have called a few time and its is the same story. You really think a standardized acceptance/rejection letter (so far the acceptance and rejections have been a standardized letter in the portal) will take them these long? Nope. Something else is going on - and it doesn't send a good message for that department.

So at this point do you think there are only rejections remaining?

12 minutes ago, polisci19 said:

Congrats!! I also applied for CP but haven't heard anything back ? 

Hoping you get off the waitlist though! 

6 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

So at this point do you think there are only rejections remaining?

What I was trying to say is that standardized rejection letters would not take this long to send out, so I imagine there are more decisions to be made.

Edited by Sharpweaselz

Just now, Sharpweaselz said:

What I was trying to say is that standardized rejection letters would not take this long to send out, so I imagine there are more decisions to be made.

Then they could clearly say that. They stated decisions have been reached and they are working to upload the letters. It doesn't take this long to upload standardized emails - rejection or acceptance.

9 minutes ago, Prof2B said:

Then they could clearly say that. They stated decisions have been reached and they are working to upload the letters. It doesn't take this long to upload standardized emails - rejection or acceptance.

Where did they state that the decisions have been reached? The quote that spawned this conversation stated that they are "working as fast as they can to notify applicants . . . ." Applicant notification is the end result, not necessarily the entirety of the process. Someone on the phone saying they are "working to notify applicants" can just as well be a stand-in for, "we are working to make decisions as fast as possible and get notifications to applicants."

Edit: all this to say: there is either some ambiguity or you are working with information that I do not have

Edited by Sharpweaselz

Re: status at NW, I’ve received an admission there and a couple days back I got another email from the department coordinator saying that in the coming days they’ll start putting up in touch w/ faculty and students. They haven’t started that process (at least it does not look like that for me, I’m theory field btw) so maybe they are not yet done with all admits? Wishing everyone good luck!