2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

9 hours ago, comradecommissar said:

Is anyone with an offer at NYU or MIT not going to accept? Would really appreciate it if folks declined the offer ASAP if they're not going to go. 

I am an NYU admit and went to their virtual recruitment events on Friday. More than 25 admitted students were there, and the expected cohort size is 12. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by FuyuhikoSomeno

I am confused by the timing for waitlist movement as it has been communicated by universities. Some schools have said that they make many offers to waitlisted folks after April 15 and even as late as early June. How would this work?

Do people accept an offer on April 15 and then back out after the deadline if they get an waitlist admit? Or does admission off of the waitlist after April 15 end up only "helping" people who (a) didn't get in elsewhere or (b) gambled and didn't accept an offer?

2 minutes ago, funfetti said:

Do people accept an offer on April 15 and then back out after the deadline if they get an waitlist admit? 

Yes. You only have one shot to go to grad school. Even if it's mean to the school that first accepted you, if it's a step up, you should take the new opportunity. 

Hi! Is anyone planning to attend a Master's program in PS? I received an offer from an outstanding PS Department for admission to the Master's program with a partial tuition scholarship, but I don't think I can cover on my own the total cost of attending. The program starts relatively soon, and Fullbright scholarships are aimed at the entering class of fall 2022 (so no option there). Right now my country does not have any international scholarships.

Is anyone in a similar situation? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to finance this?

Any ideas would be most valued.

Edited by skullkid

I have been waiting for 6 weeks after being placed in the waitlist at Dartmouth. I applied for 8 PhD programs and got 1 waitlist and 7 reject. This is my only hope now. I asked the POI about the information, he said "I am still waiting to hear back from both candidates. I have a feeling that they are going to sit on their offer till April 15 and I cannot do anything about it.". What does it means? It seems that the hope is slim.

15 minutes ago, sakimarquis said:

I have been waiting for 6 weeks after being placed in the waitlist at Dartmouth. I applied for 8 PhD programs and got 1 waitlist and 7 reject. This is my only hope now. I asked the POI about the information, he said "I am still waiting to hear back from both candidates. I have a feeling that they are going to sit on their offer till April 15 and I cannot do anything about it.". What does it means? It seems that the hope is slim.

Dartmouth doesn't have a PhD in Poli Sci? 

17 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

I was able to log in to MyFile, but there is no update on my application status... 

I can log in to portal, too. I guess it was just an error that they fixed. I e-mailed York again telling that almost all universities in US and Canada released the results. They responded  "Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control, we do not have results to report on PhD admissions for international students. We are hopeful that these results can be released in the next few weeks."

9 hours ago, sakimarquis said:

It means that you're unlikely to hear back before the deadline, which is April 15. Them not having heard back from either candidates is good news though -- it means that there's still a chance they'll decline their offers. Good luck!

Hi everyone, received an offer for an MPhil at Oxford along with full funding from Nuffield College. That's that for this cycle for me, and I will be accepting the Oxford offer unless one of my PhD waitlists works out. Its been good, and thank you for being such a supportive community!

10 minutes ago, comradecommissar said:

Hi everyone, received an offer for an MPhil at Oxford along with full funding from Nuffield College. That's that for this cycle for me, and I will be accepting the Oxford offer unless one of my PhD waitlists works out. Its been good, and thank you for being such a supportive community!

Congratulations, Oxford's DPIR is great and it's an amazing achievement to be accepted with funding!

10 hours ago, smug-face said:

It means that you're unlikely to hear back before the deadline, which is April 15. Them not having heard back from either candidates is good news though -- it means that there's still a chance they'll decline their offers. Good luck!

Thank you very much! As for a non-native English speaker, I found myself really have trouble understanding these casual words, although I got full marks on reading part. I mistook his words and thought this "sit on" means "choose" or "stick to". 

7 minutes ago, sakimarquis said:

Really embarrassing I saw the political science as psychological science...

No worries at all! You might have a better time connecting with similar applicants on that specific forum though. Good luck to you! :)