Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Yea I would really like to know. Mind you, I only applied for the Masters of Government. My application was in at the beginning of January! Should I take this as a presumed rejection for MA Government? 

Anyone have information on when Georgetown might release the next round of decisions?

it seems to be that they're releasing most decisions on wednesdays/fridays, but your guess is certainly as good as mine.

in other news, should we presume rejection from hopkins if we havent heard anything?

Yea I would really like to know. Mind you, I only applied for the Masters of Government. My application was in at the beginning of January! Should I take this as a presumed rejection for MA Government? 

I applied at Georgetown for the master's and I haven't heard yet, so I think we're good to go for now. 

Fore veryone who is still waiting for MIT: I received my official offer letter today (by fedex, it was sent to my permanent address in Europe), so expect to get your results during the next few days.

RCD2 - congrats! Had you received a phone call before the letter?

I've been lurking here for weeks. It's been great to observe the thoughtful and caring discussion taking place. When I finally decided to take the plunge and make an account, I discovered that I already had one. Whoops.

My question is about the Brown admit that was just posted. Does it seem legit? I cannot imagine why anyone would lie about such a thing, but since Brown uses the same application system that Stanford, Princeton, and others use — and the application statuses for those schools STILL haven't been changed yet (at least for rejects like me) — I find it a bit surprising that Brown would notify in this way. Any other Brown applicants out there care to share their thoughts? I've gone 0/7 thus far this cycle, with only Brown and Penn left to hear from. This process has been so disheartening.

I applied at Georgetown for the master's and I haven't heard yet, so I think we're good to go for now. 

I see you got accepted at American too. Me too! Are you going to the visitation day on the 28th? 

I see you got accepted at American too. Me too! Are you going to the visitation day on the 28th? 

Congrats! Chances are slim since I live quite a ways from DC, but I'm still considering it! 

It seems everyone, including myself, who got into Florida is on a waitlist for funding (of those who have posted results). 

When I started out choosing schools to apply to last summer, I spoke with the UF DGS about their program and she told me that they are really very limited with their available funding for graduate students. She went on to say that students could easily establish Florida residency for in-state tuition, and that Gainesville has a reasonable cost of living. That knowledge was a killing blow and I didn't apply because of it.

When I started out choosing schools to apply to last summer, I spoke with the UF DGS about their program and she told me that they are really very limited with their available funding for graduate students. She went on to say that students could easily establish Florida residency for in-state tuition, and that Gainesville has a reasonable cost of living. That knowledge was a killing blow and I didn't apply because of it.

Alumni and the surround community isn't donating money because they haven't won a BCS Championship in a while. That is how it is in the two major state schools (UF and FSU). 

Alumni and the surround community isn't donating money because they haven't won a BCS Championship in a while. That is how it is in the two major state schools (UF and FSU). 

I'm not sure the university administration cares a great deal about programs that aren't bringing in money. Their sports franchise brings in a lot of money. No surprise that they're funneling it that way.

I'm not sure the university administration cares a great deal about programs that aren't bringing in money. Their sports franchise brings in a lot of money. No surprise that they're funneling it that way.

When I worked in fundraising at Florida State the alumni only gave if the football team was doing well. Donations don't always go towards the football team (they have their separate fundraising and funding department), they largely go towards the school as a whole. 

Any idea if all of the Yale acceptances went out today?

From the looks of the board, it looks like we're pretty much at full capacity (ie it'd be hard to foresee a lot more green coming, given how much is already up). I think IR decisions are definitely out, as myself and a few others were notified and I know they have an IR subcommittee review the apps

From the looks of the board, it looks like we're pretty much at full capacity (ie it'd be hard to foresee a lot more green coming, given how much is already up). I think IR decisions are definitely out, as myself and a few others were notified and I know they have an IR subcommittee review the apps

*sigh* Hence, for the schools that have announced already, and did not tap me, I presume I am rejected from JHU and Yale. This leaves me with Temple University and 2 programs at Harvard (Government/RSEA). Seeing that two have been accepted to Temple already (subfield unknown), and the other is Harvard, I should really just start thinking of contingency plans now for this academic cycle shouldn't I...

I just spoke to Steven Wilkinson who told me that since he wasn't on the admission's committee he has not seen the final list. Since he's the subfield coordinator maybe CP applicants still stand a chance?

I'm inclined to think you're right.  Though, looking at last year, there were 13 acceptances and 2-3 waitlists over the course of the cycle.  I'm comparative with a Middle East, North Africa focus, so Im not sure if Susan Hyde is the POC for that or not.