Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Next week's going to be a heavy week...I can feel it...just in time for Valentine's Day. At least sadness chocolate will be readily available.

I'm stocking up this weekend. Dark chocolate, red wine, bad movies, and (inevitably) either a few rejections or (maybe worse) no word from any other schools.

I'm stocking up this weekend. Dark chocolate, red wine, bad movies, and (inevitably) either a few rejections or (maybe worse) no word from any other schools.

Yeah. I feel like I should get a bottle of champagne and a bottle of bourbon, to be prepared in any scenario. I'm like a Boy Scout.

Congrats UCSD people!!! 

Is the school sending out the letters in waves do you think??? (every hour, half an hour, etc) 

Perhaps, I got mine approximately thirty minutes ago. Unfortunately, I am working late (coordinating an academic conference) and am not accessing my e-mail or TGC as frequently as I'd like. Maybe someone else can chime in on the time stamp of their e-mails.

Yeah. I feel like I should get a bottle of champagne and a bottle of bourbon, to be prepared in any scenario. I'm like a Boy Scout.

This post speaks to me in a very real way.

I agree with RWBG. I did receive an official notice of acceptance, but I'm a weird hybrid case. The admissions offer is joint. Don't be concerned.

It's even more particular than the other joint public policy offers, given that you hadn't initially applied to public policy. So, to others: even if you're a joint applicant, I wouldn't expect anything until next week.

Edited by RWBG

What are the chances that there are more UCSD acceptances to come? Trying to hold out hope.

Sadly I have no inside info on this one. If they're doing them individually there may be more to come today, but not sure. 

Anyone heard from University of Virginia and Syracuse? I saw a UVA post :(

Haven't heard anything and didn't apply to UVA, but I'm also waiting on Syracuse

How could you get into either of these programs and not know the answer for yourself?

Well it is very common for these sorts of questions. Say if someone is accepted at a highly ranked program with decent fit and a slightly lower ranked program with superb fit. 

Claiming a UCSD acceptance as well. However, I'll have to talk to them about finances, since the letter I got states that I am expected to establish California residence in my second year. Any internatials having the same problem?

I am hoping (hopeful) that I will be able to talk to them about having my external fellowship pay for years 1-2 of my stay, and them then using part of the savings for fees and tuition (in years 3-5). Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to enroll.

My funding package is lower than the numbers floating around here, though, and includes 5 years of TA-ing (1st: 25%, 2-5:50%). I'm assuming I can get out of year 1 and 2, because of my fellowship, otherwise it looks intense!

Claiming a UCSD acceptance as well. However, I'll have to talk to them about finances, since the letter I got states that I am expected to establish California residence in my second year. Any internatials having the same problem?

I am hoping (hopeful) that I will be able to talk to them about having my external fellowship pay for years 1-2 of my stay, and them then using part of the savings for fees and tuition (in years 3-5). Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to enroll.

My funding package is lower than the numbers floating around here, though, and includes 5 years of TA-ing (1st: 25%, 2-5:50%). I'm assuming I can get out of year 1 and 2, because of my fellowship, otherwise it looks intense!

First congratulations! Second, I'm in exactly the same situation, friend. I think I'll respond to the email with the same inquiry.

How could you get into either of these programs and not know the answer for yourself?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question. It's a balance of fit and ranking. And even when you go by the USNWR American rankings, the ranking doesn't give you the rank for American behavior, it gives you the rank for American in general.

AHL, I suggest asking some political behavior professors at your school (perhaps one of your letter writers). It's likely that they can give you a better answer than this thread, and they can probably help you navigate questions of fit.