If I don't get accepted anywhere, I think I'll...

Domino

Hopefully most of you are receiving interview invitations and acceptances, but for those of you in my boat (no word yet from any program), maybe having an exciting contingency plan could make the sting of potential rejection a little easier. 

If I don't get accepted anywhere, I think I'll spend the next few months learning Italian and take a trip to Italy.  Then I suppose I'll start looking for a new job.  Not exactly a long-term solution, but at least it will give me a little something to look forward to :unsure:  What about you?

As of now, my work experience is only slightly relevant. If I don't get in anywhere, I will probably find a job better tailored toward my career goal.... it would make me a better applicant.

My background is pretty unrelated to the programs I've applied to, so I'll likely try to get more relevant experience, and hopefully reapply next year.

This question has really been freaking me out.

I left a really competitive and glamorous field (that made me miserable) to get my MA and now that I'm just about done, I realize that my only options are the PhD or going back to my old career with my tail between my legs.  I have since snagged multiple RA/TA gigs, but my field isn't such that these are generally available to non-students.  If I strike out and decide to reapply next cycle, I don't know if there's anything out there for me to do while I wait.  I would feel especially bad for my very supportive husband, who would have to deal with my utter sadness AND the loss of income from the RA/TA jobs I've been working while I get my MA. 

With the adjunct system being the way it is, there's almost no way I could get a teaching job (I live in a big city with plenty of PhD competition for adjunct gigs).  I know academia is where I belong, but if this board has taught me anything, it is that desire isn't enough, and the process of PhD admissions is both opaque and uncertain. 

In other words, failure is not an option.

Anyone else feeling pretty lost on the "what if?" questions? 

I'm feeling pretty lost overall. Phone call letting me know the adcom has serious doubts about me has thrown me for a loop.

Not sure I can even submit things to appease them. It's all limbo right now.

As for what happens when the worst is finalized (I can't even get rejected without an obscene mountain of paperwork!) I'll look for a better job and take my writing more seriously. I've got a few false starts under my belt, so I am getting better at recognizing dead ends.

I'm feeling pretty lost overall. Phone call letting me know the adcom has serious doubts about me has thrown me for a loop.

Loric, I had a similar phone call from a program that I applied to.  After my interview, they were the last program to give me an answer.  After calling and emailing for weeks and only getting the "we-will-let-you-know-in-a-few-days" response, I started getting really frustrated.  The deadline to accept was close (I felt weird accepting one offer without knowing all the options), so I called one last time and said I needed an answer.  They said, "we have some serious doubts about your ability to succeed in this program since your background is so different.  Can you please write a few more essays answering A, B, C, and D to help us in our decision?" 

I got even more frustrated and just said no. 

People have asked me recently what I would have done for that year if I had not gotten into grad school.  Honestly, I don't think I ever had a plan!  

What makes it worse is that they questioned things clearly in my SOP and resume. It's like they didn't read them. That's ridiculous.

A lot of friends in grad school have told me this program isn't worth my time for how it's behaving. Maybe they're right.

If I'm not accepted this round I will: IMMEDIATELY get a puppy. This has been my plan for a while now. I have held off on getting a dog because I wasn't sure where I'd be living if I got into grad school. I will try to find a new job. I will start studying for and retake the GRE. Probably enroll in a few classes at my old city college for fun and try to plan a ton of trips with my boyfriend.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This question has really been freaking me out.

I left a really competitive and glamorous field (that made me miserable) to get my MA and now that I'm just about done, I realize that my only options are the PhD or going back to my old career with my tail between my legs.  I have since snagged multiple RA/TA gigs, but my field isn't such that these are generally available to non-students.  If I strike out and decide to reapply next cycle, I don't know if there's anything out there for me to do while I wait.  I would feel especially bad for my very supportive husband, who would have to deal with my utter sadness AND the loss of income from the RA/TA jobs I've been working while I get my MA. 

With the adjunct system being the way it is, there's almost no way I could get a teaching job (I live in a big city with plenty of PhD competition for adjunct gigs).  I know academia is where I belong, but if this board has taught me anything, it is that desire isn't enough, and the process of PhD admissions is both opaque and uncertain. 

In other words, failure is not an option.

Anyone else feeling pretty lost on the "what if?" questions? 

I was gonna say, don't you need to be a student to TA? I wouldn't imagine you'd need to be to RA. There seem to be lots of research jobs out there, such as post-bac stuff. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

What makes it worse is that they questioned things clearly in my SOP and resume. It's like they didn't read them. That's ridiculous.

A lot of friends in grad school have told me this program isn't worth my time for how it's behaving. Maybe they're right.

Maybe they're playing hard to get. 

If I'm not accepted this round I will: IMMEDIATELY get a puppy. This has been my plan for a while now. I have held off on getting a dog because I wasn't sure where I'd be living if I got into grad school. I will try to find a new job. I will start studying for and retake the GRE. Probably enroll in a few classes at my old city college for fun and try to plan a ton of trips with my boyfriend.

Get a rescue. That's how I got my cat, adopted after leaving my first grad school.

Loric, I had a similar phone call from a program that I applied to.  After my interview, they were the last program to give me an answer.  After calling and emailing for weeks and only getting the "we-will-let-you-know-in-a-few-days" response, I started getting really frustrated.  The deadline to accept was close (I felt weird accepting one offer without knowing all the options), so I called one last time and said I needed an answer.  They said, "we have some serious doubts about your ability to succeed in this program since your background is so different.  Can you please write a few more essays answering A, B, C, and D to help us in our decision?" 

I got even more frustrated and just said no. 

People have asked me recently what I would have done for that year if I had not gotten into grad school.  Honestly, I don't think I ever had a plan!  

Good for you giving them the finger.  I mean honestly that is outrageous.  If you had caved and let them treat you that way then when would it end?  Never.  You'd constantly have to jump through hoops to try to impress them even if they had accepted you.  Grad school is stressful enough without having to deal with a department that blatantly says they're not sure you were worth the investment.

.......Getting back to the original question.  I think everyone applying for any app season should have a very clear back up plan.  It will definitely spare you the possibility of wasting a lot of time sitting around doing nothing while you try to figure out what you should or could be doing in the mean time.  I made my back up plan well before I started apps this season so it was already out of the way and I'm quite happy with it.  So if I have to go that route then I'll stay at my job since it is in my field and there are advancement opportunities.  I'll finish my MA, but one of my professors has a huge research project she'll be starting soon that I can assist with.  I will continue my community service projects to keep developing clinical experience.  I may also consider adjuncting.  I'm slowly growing my network so I may get an opportunity that way.

I will probably move into my sister's basement for a few months to lick my wounds, re-take the GRE to attempt for a higher school, take some additional coursework in the discipline to which I am applying, and come back in the 2014 application cycle on a mission!

*If* I don't get in (trying to keep it positive, today), I'll be looking for full-time instructor positions at community colleges in my favorite states. My SO and I are both beyond ready to get out of this tiny little town (both of us grew up here). Full time positions at community colleges aren't too shabby (they pay WAY more than part-time adjunct positions (sigh) and community colleges really like people with Master's degrees, in my experience.

I'm also hoping to get a rescue dog. I've gone too long without canine companionship. :) 

I think I might take some more classes (undergraduate and graduate level), retake the gre, try to get a few more conference presentations and maybe write up a paper, and then apply again next cycle.

I honestly don't know what else I could do. I hope I at least get into a master's program.

Edited by ffg