WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 hours ago, flop said:

Haha, that sounds interesting! Are you all kept up with, say, the Kardashians and the music world? I am obsessed with the music industry, even though I have no musical talent whatsoever, haha.

@rosali Thank you for the suggestion! I hope I end up liking it as much as you guys do!

Moreso the music industry than the Kardashians. Reality TV is one area I'm not as keen on. I do sort of hate watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and I was watching Sisters Wives until it got legitimately painful. Like I worried about their actual lives and think they should stop being on TV for their mental health.

42 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Moreso the music industry than the Kardashians. Reality TV is one area I'm not as keen on. I do sort of hate watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and I was watching Sisters Wives until it got legitimately painful. Like I worried about their actual lives and think they should stop being on TV for their mental health.

Ahh, watching the Grammys tonight? I just looked at the list of winners for the non-televised awards. Definitely not a huge fan of most of them... "Bad Blood" winning best music video, lol. 

Totally guilty of watching a few reality shows. I watch Vanderpump Rules, which stars one of the real housewives. I'm quite addicted to the show, haha. Guilty pleasure!

10 hours ago, flop said:

Oooh, I love lying on the floor! Sometimes I prefer doing that to lying in bed, lol. Funny thing. I keep finding myself listening to sad, dark songs. Depressed applicants, there are probably thousands of us.

Depressed applicant over here too! lol!

10 hours ago, flop said:

@rosali Is Parks and Rec good? A friend actually recommended that to me. I don't know if you're familiar with Suits, but I really want to watch something like it. I live for drama, lol.

Parks and Rec is the bessssttttt! Just power through the first season and then you'll forget it existed and it will be the best show ever towards the end of season 2. lol! I used to watch Suits but I stopped around early part of s5. I got tired of them defending their castle repeatedly season after season. lol!

9 hours ago, Bookaddict said:

@FoxAndChicken Aha, I spent an entire day lying on my couch and binge watching depressing anime shows because it's taking so long to hear back from universities…I skipped classes and refused to move from the couch. Needless to say, after a day of moping, I feel a lot better (marginally, actually)… Good luck to you and all my other fellow applicants!

I like anime too! but I prefer shoujo/romcom over the depressing ones because my life is depressing enough lol.

Did anyone else watch Better Call Saul last night? I love that they've been able to develop a spin-off to Breaking Bad that can totally stand up on its own two week. There's so much to learn about the life and times of Saul Goodman.

In whining news, I haven't received any more admissions notices for the past week. It looks like two of the programs I applied to are trickling out their admit emails day by day instead of releasing them all at once, which kinda grinds my gears, but what can you do?

13 hours ago, flop said:

Ahh, watching the Grammys tonight? I just looked at the list of winners for the non-televised awards. Definitely not a huge fan of most of them... "Bad Blood" winning best music video, lol.

Yep, watched the Grammys last night and am paying for it with exhaustion today. Some good moments. Kudos to Swifty for her epic Kanye burn in the final acceptance speech of the night. Woot! Hamilton was pretty awesome all around. I have severely mixed feelings about Gaga's Bowie tribute; big fan of both of them, and it felt kind of rushed and didn't showcase either one of them as well as it could.

Recruitment day #2 is coming up. 

I think Penn state is becoming my new #1 choice bc i get along grat with the other grad students, the PIs, and even the departmental people. 

And i got to meet the diversity affairs people and they are pretty prominent. 

I have no idea what im doing

I'm supposed to find out my waitlist status "By the third week of February." I'm so full of anxiety that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm so delusional that I got dressed and put on makeup just to make myself feel better....even though I work from home and my coworker is my cat. 

I got an offer that wants a decision by the end of month. 

My feeling is: i'm an international student, my GRE quant scores were "meh", and I have an offer on the table that makes me happy.  Emboldened, I reached out to all the remaining US programs I applied to this morning who've all had my file since some point in December, trying to get a timeline on a decision. 

Clark's admissions department said "the next few weeks - likely by first week in March". I'll call the program director or reach out to individual profs next Monday if I don't hear by then. 

I sent emails to Anthro @ Penn, and Geography @ UGA also. Both of them have likely sent out their first round already - so I may not be providing news to anyone on that front, but may be helpful to those of us in limbo. 

I understand why people are hesitant to reach out, but you could also argue that boldness might be a characteristic that some departments look for. Based on these threads over the years, I would appear to hold a minority opinion on the matter. 

Edited by soupman

36 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I'm supposed to find out my waitlist status "By the third week of February." I'm so full of anxiety that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm so delusional that I got dressed and put on makeup just to make myself feel better....even though I work from home and my coworker is my cat. 

My husband swears by the idea that when you don't feel good (for whatever reason) you should get dressed up. It makes you feel more together emotionally. Take yourself out for lunch! :)

1 minute ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

My husband swears by the idea that when you don't feel good (for whatever reason) you should get dressed up. It makes you feel more together emotionally. Take yourself out for lunch! :)

Oh man, you just gave me a really strong craving for a great lunch cafe for burgers and malts in my home town. Too bad I'm thousands of miles away and this continent doesn't do malts. :(

@raaawr Giving it a test run later tonight! Kind of excited to see it after reading all the positive reviews from you guys!

@The Interdisciplinarian I was very disappointed that Swift took home the award for Album of the Year. I'm an avid Swift fan (literally obsessed, actually, hahaha), but Kendrick Lamar definitely deserved the award more. Lady Gaga's performance was just okay to me. They hyped it up too much with the whole Intel thing, so I kind of expected more. All in all, the ceremony was pretty boring. Time for the Oscars!

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Starting the day off with a rejection, but I'm feeling not too broken up about it.

My first thought when I saw my rejection was this quote from Mitchell and Webb

Ha! Every once in a while someone will quote something kind of obscure that you have a huge appreciation for. Sorry about the rejection, but I think you've found the best possible approach for dealing with it. Another great That M&W Look quote related to what I study, "are we the baddies?"

Meanwhile in the history world, Indiana is dragging out admissions as well as rejections over several days. At this point I've dodged the rejection bullet 2 days running, which gives me a lot of hope. Last year I'm pretty sure I got the generic letter in the first or second wave. Hopefully this means I'm either accepted

Just now, nightfarmer said:

Ha! Every once in a while someone will quote something kind of obscure that you have a huge appreciation for. Sorry about the rejection, but I think you've found the best possible approach for dealing with it. Another great That M&W Look quote related to what I study, "are we the baddies?"

Meanwhile in the history world, Indiana is dragging out admissions as well as rejections over several days. At this point I've dodged the rejection bullet 2 days running, which gives me a lot of hope. Last year I'm pretty sure I got the generic letter in the first or second wave. Hopefully this means I'm either accepted

OMG I love the "Are we the baddies?" skit! I love the grammar nazi one, the one where they're naming the countries, and the rocket science/brain surgery skits, too! So many good ones!

My favorite part of their bit as commentators is when David Mitchell walks in with his hands full of beers, then Webb tells him "You've missed the first part!" and without even looking at what's happening in the game, Mitchell runs over to the mic and goes "Oh, and that's a bad miss!" haha just little details like that crack me up XD

I hope you get accepted to Indiana!! I'm so happy you've dodged the rejection bullets! Good job!

5 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

Did anyone else watch Better Call Saul last night? I love that they've been able to develop a spin-off to Breaking Bad that can totally stand up on its own two week. There's so much to learn about the life and times of Saul Goodman.

In whining news, I haven't received any more admissions notices for the past week. It looks like two of the programs I applied to are trickling out their admit emails day by day instead of releasing them all at once, which kinda grinds my gears, but what can you do?

Yess! Better Call Saul is actually really good (considering I was in love with Breaking Bad)!

I'm seriously having a panic attack. I just checked my application on ApplyWeb and saw that the "date completed" changed to today... I know it's probably false hope, but I'm hoping to hear something from the school SOON. AHHH. My palms are sweating.

Even if I don't hear back at all today, at least I'll be receiving a package. I splurged on a nice coat, even though it's 91 degrees in LA, lol.

Edited by flop

Applied to 6 schools, rejected by 4, waiting on two... when explaining to my mom the amount of stress eating I was doing she responded "well I hope you're also stress running or stress going to the gym too, because you don't want to be rejected AND fat!"  Thanks, mom. :unsure: off to do some trail running!