2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

35 minutes ago, Sheldon2017 said:

OK, now I looked at the results. UA sent some out a few days ago but I feel the next wave is coming next week. 

Are there possibilities that someone can get admission next week? I think they sent an request for an interview before but they may not send other admission letters which I want to receive. So sad...

35 minutes ago, ComparativeStreak said:

Does anyone think Chicago, Berkeley, Princeton, Northwestern are out this week? I rate all as having some (but widely varying) chance of coming out in the next few days.

I was actually thinking the same:

last year Berkeley admitted on January 31/February 1, Chicago on February 2, and Princeton on January 31. If they stick to the same schedule, we might be seeing results this week.

Of course, they're not consistent: in the previous cycle, for example, Princeton admitted around February 9. So it's unclear if they'll actually release this week... but there's hope! Good luck to all!

33 minutes ago, ComparativeStreak said:

Does anyone think Chicago, Berkeley, Princeton, Northwestern are out this week? I rate all as having some (but widely varying) chance of coming out in the next few days.

With Northwestern I would be surprised if they don't announce this week. Given past years result last week was a possibility, so if we don't hear back this week that would be outside their norm.

With the other 3, I think all are a possibility this week, but at the same time I'm a bit uncertain. Given the trend of this application cycle so far, the norm seems to be schools are coming out a couple of days or a week later than previous years. So if you told me all 3 of those came out this week I could believe it, but if none of them announced this week I could believe it too.

1 hour ago, buckinghamubadger said:

As for schools not sending anything out over the weekend, it's not a decision, but I just woke up to an interview request at Notre Dame.

Congrats on the interview! Out of curiosity, is this a phone/Skype interview, or are you actually going to campus?

I would expect to see a lot of publics come out during this week - think Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UT. The California universities typically operate on the same schedule (sometimes even releasing results on the same day - like last year, where UCSD and UCLA were within hours of each other). 

I would be willing to bet you won't see the top privates until Feb. Princeton last year was a bit of an anomaly. 

48 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

I would expect to see a lot of publics come out during this week - think Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UT. The California universities typically operate on the same schedule (sometimes even releasing results on the same day - like last year, where UCSD and UCLA were within hours of each other). 

I would be willing to bet you won't see the top privates until Feb. Princeton last year was a bit of an anomaly. 

UCLA? I don’t think so because on my portal, it still says scores are not matched with applications. Unless they match the scores after looking at your file, I think that they might not have even started the process.

Sorry, misreplied to an earlier post. (deleted reply)

On another note, are well all assuming the Emory ship has sailed? I noticed that some people mentioned they got acceptances and rejections. I applied but haven't heard back with no notification changes on the app portal thus far. Assuming waitlist?

Edited by polisciallday

@deutsch1997bw it was not specified in the email. It was an informal email from a POI.

@csantamir I am in American Politics.

One other thing of note is that the email said that 'as part of [the] admissions process [they] like to reach out to students to answer any questions [the students] may have.' But it doesn't say anything about them asking me questions. I can't help but feel that this is a good sign.

Edited by buckinghamubadger

33 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

@deutsch1997bw it was not specified in the email. It was an informal email from a POI.

@csantamir I am in American Politics.

One other thing of note is that the email said that 'as part of [the] admissions process [they] like to reach out to students to answer any questions [the students] may have.' But it doesn't say anything about them asking me questions. I can't help but feel that this is a good sign.

It does sound like a good sign. Best of luck 

Okay so next week here is what to expect:

in the likely for SOME decisions to come come next week column I have:

Texas

Northwestern

Colorado

Washington

Arizona State

UCI

UCSD

Pitt

The Bulk of Stony Brook

And possibly more from Rice, Ohio State and Penn State, Arizona

In the wouldn't be surprising, but not exceedingly likely column:

WashU

Princeton

Michigan

Harvard

UChicago

Notre Dame

Again, this could be a HUGE week

49 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Speak of the devil, I was just admitted to UCI

2a/0r/0w/8p one if which is a pending interview

A weirdly busy Sunday for me

Congrats!
"UCI"--What is the full name of this University?
Did you receive a letter from a Prof. or checked the status of application?

10 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

University of California- Irvine.

I receive an email from a POI who said that I have been recommended for admission by the Ad Comm and that he wants to talk to me in the next couple days.

Just wondering, did you have POI that you contacted and opened a dialogue with prior to the submission of applications? Or is it someone you simply named in your application and are hearing from first time?

I only ask because it was my experience that most universities did not encourage reaching out to faculty prior to getting admitted to the programs. Just wondering what other people's approach with this was.

17 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

University of California- Irvine.

I receive an email from a POI who said that I have been recommended for admission by the Ad Comm and that he wants to talk to me in the next couple days.

Congrats! I'm not sure who you're interested in working with there, but I've read some of Russell Dalton's research on comparative public opinion. He is great!