34 minutes ago, eek_ said:

I just got an offer of admission to Johns Hopkins!

Congrats! Glad to see some movement and decisions being made.

9 hours ago, eek_ said:

I just got an offer of admission to Johns Hopkins!

Congratulations! Were you initially waitlisted? What track did you apply to? 

7 hours ago, xoxo123 said:

Congratulations! Were you initially waitlisted? What track did you apply to? 

Nope. Not waitlisted. EHS.

Did anyone attend Columbia Epi's accepted Student's Day last Friday? I wasn't able to make it but would love to hear your thoughts on the program and your experience. Thanks!

3 hours ago, hpm2018_1 said:

I got in too! I was waitlisted earlier But no word on funding. Did you hear anything about funding?

Yes-full funding. Are you HPM though? Might be different department by department?

17 hours ago, eek_ said:

Yes-full funding. Are you HPM though? Might be different department by department?

May I ask if the stipend includes summer or is only 10 months? I’m trying to get an idea of what is typical for phd stipends in public health. I have one stipend that is more but is over the whole year and another that is only 10 months but would be more if I included working a summer internship or whatnot. 

It's been a week now since my interview and I have heard aboslutely nothing from them. Going nuts over here! 

Hi guys,  I am new here.

Got acceptance at UCLA for the PhD in Health Policy and Management and at UBC for Public Health with concentration in health economics. 

Has anyone applied for Health Policy at UC Berkeley? Radio silence from them so far... :( 

I am certainly moving to the US, but depending on Berkeley response to figure out my actual university. 

Thanks! 

Yeah, things are really weird in the US. 

I was accepted at UBC in Vancouver with full tuition covered and $30K for four years, without the need of RAship or TAship, which can obviously occur as a plus.
On the other hand, UCLA offered a very modest financial package, with some stipend for the first two years and only a promise of RA and TA for the third and fourth years. 
People here in Canada do not believe that a university as big as UCLA cannot offer a better financial package for their PhD students. 

But, regarding UC Berkeley, did you apply for Health Policy? 
When did they send you an email? 
I called them on Monday and they said they would be releasing the admission results this week. Apparently this week is over, tomorrow is a statutory holiday, so :( 
It is the only department that hasn't contacted me yet at all. This is really frustrating.
The deadline for making a decision is coming soon...

Thanks! And good luck on your applications. 

12 hours ago, HopefulHPM2018 said:

May I ask if the stipend includes summer or is only 10 months? I’m trying to get an idea of what is typical for phd stipends in public health. I have one stipend that is more but is over the whole year and another that is only 10 months but would be more if I included working a summer internship or whatnot. 

I think PhD stipends in general for public health are going to fall somewhere between high teens to 40K depending on where the school is located. I.E. Columbia offers at 39K stipend. I doubt the University of Iowa would give you much more than 20K given the cost of living is so low (but just a guess!). At Hopkins the stipend was offered as an annual amount I believe.

Edited by eek_

On 3/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, eek_ said:

I think PhD stipends in general for public health are going to fall somewhere between high teens to 40K depending on where the school is located. I.E. Columbia offers at 39K stipend. I doubt the University of Iowa would give you much more than 20K given the cost of living is so low (but just a guess!). At Hopkins the stipend was offered as an annual amount I believe.

Make sure they hard guarantee the funding too. Michigan has had funding issues this year, which culminated in their withdrawing offers to some accepted students. Their AHRQ grant renewal value was lower than expected because their grading relative to their peers dropped a good amount. It is possible that those who have a first year package there may end up with underfunding or funding problems in the later years. Try to get the details to avoid any surprises that they may not be directly telling you.

Edited by light10491

17 hours ago, light10491 said:

Make sure they hard guarantee the funding too. Michigan has had funding issues this year, which culminated in their withdrawing offers to some accepted students. Their AHRQ grant renewal value was lower than expected because their grading relative to their peers dropped a good amount. It is possible that those who have a first year package there may end up with underfunding or funding problems in the later years. Try to get the details to avoid any surprises that they may not be directly telling you.

I tried to get the details from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and they just keep saying that they’re not sure and there’s no concrete gauranteed funding and that it’s the student’s responsibility to find funding as a TA/RA every semester. I think that this is insane for a PhD program at a top American institution, but I am starting to get the feeling that this is what happens with PhDs in public health fields...it sucks. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:39 PM, light10491 said:

Thanks! Sorry I should have specified that the funding is guaranteed for the extent of my studies, up to 5 years. I think they do annual amounts based on cost of living adjustments.

Hi everybody,

First time here! 

Have you guys heard anything about the NIH stipend for fiscal year 2018?

I got accepted into Emory EHS and they guaranteed tuition scholarship, but said still waiting on NIH's doctoral stipend level...? 

On 4/1/2018 at 3:04 PM, pusheen323 said:

I tried to get the details from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and they just keep saying that they’re not sure and there’s no concrete gauranteed funding and that it’s the student’s responsibility to find funding as a TA/RA every semester. I think that this is insane for a PhD program at a top American institution, but I am starting to get the feeling that this is what happens with PhDs in public health fields...it sucks. 

But at least they offered you a first year package? Michigan accepted students and then rejected them afterward because there was no funding for everyone in the first year, and it's unclear about the subsequent years. Make sure to get the concrete details from UNC Chapel Hill or ask their current students via email.

Edited by light10491

Had my interview the 22nd of March.

They said I would hear back by the following week. (I would say by March 31).

It'll be two weeks tomorrow since my interview and I haven't heard anything :-( 

Going nuts.

45 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

Had my interview the 22nd of March.

They said I would hear back by the following week. (I would say by March 31).

It'll be two weeks tomorrow since my interview and I haven't heard anything :-( 

Going nuts.

I like to think that no news is good news! When I interviewed, it took 3 weeks to hear back, which sucked but I would also assume if they didn't want you they would have told you right away. Think positive! You got this!!

29 minutes ago, gallimimus said:

I like to think that no news is good news! When I interviewed, it took 3 weeks to hear back, which sucked but I would also assume if they didn't want you they would have told you right away. Think positive! You got this!!

Thanks!! Reading this surprisingly made me feel a little better :-)

I really hope no news is good news.