17 hours ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Just wrapped a skype interview for PhD with Colorado. How long do people typically wait on a decision following these types of deals?

They said two weeks, but I know I would die of anticipation with that kind of timeline...

After interviewing with Hopkins, UNC and GWU for PhD positions, it took one month for each of these schools to get back to me. A brutal wait! However they all interviewed in January. I'm sure Colorado will get back faster!

23 hours ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Just wrapped a skype interview for PhD with Colorado. How long do people typically wait on a decision following these types of deals?

They said two weeks, but I know I would die of anticipation with that kind of timeline...

When I interviewed with the Colorado School of Public Health for the DrPH (granted, different department/degree, etc.), they held to their time frames or were even a little bit earlier. They also told me two weeks and it was just a bit less than that. At this point, the schools have to know there is not much decision making time left so one would hope that they could not really drag it out.

5 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

Any word from Michigan? They said we’d be hearing back the first week of March and I’m losing my mind waiting!

Did you interview there?

I was rejected less than a week after my interview (on doctoral day), so if you interviewed it might be a good sign that you haven't heard back yet?

On 3/4/2018 at 11:07 AM, ceterisparibus9 said:

Ceteri-
I had an interview for the DrPH CBH program on Feb 12. There were interviews the week after as well and I learned on Friday 3/2 that I was accepted.

I know Epi trails CBH a bit, but I expect its probably 2-3 weeks from the first interview for the PhD in Epi to the acceptance letters (emails) to go out. 

Best of luck!

On 3/2/2018 at 5:24 PM, eek_ said:

Have you contacted them recently (like within the last two weeks) to see if there was a status update? 

I emailed Feb 16th and got this " Its my understanding that the department  is currently reviewing applications and are finalizing interviews. I suspect additional information will be available over the next few weeks. "

They mentioned during the application process that they have a group interview day in February with faculty and students. 

:(

4 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

I emailed Feb 16th and got this " Its my understanding that the department  is currently reviewing applications and are finalizing interviews. I suspect additional information will be available over the next few weeks. "

They mentioned during the application process that they have a group interview day in February with faculty and students. 

:(

Well, it's been about 2 weeks since then. I would say if you don't hear anything by Friday go ahead and shoot them an email. Nothing to lose!

Officially rejected from 5/5 schools. I have several first author publications, great recommendations, and solid work experience, but think my GRE scores must have been the deciding factor (just below 70th percentile for Quant and Verbal). Has anyone else had a similar experience and re-applied the next cycle? Any suggestions? 

49 minutes ago, epi_2018 said:

Officially rejected from 5/5 schools. I have several first author publications, great recommendations, and solid work experience, but think my GRE scores must have been the deciding factor (just below 70th percentile for Quant and Verbal). Has anyone else had a similar experience and re-applied the next cycle? Any suggestions? 

I know that epi is a quant heavy field but in Health services research I applied for quantitative streams/tracks/concentrations/cognates, or whatever you want to call them, with a Quant score in the 59% percentile and got into a couple of schools still. I took a lot of quant classes that I did very well in and the rest of my app was solid. So I’m not sure if you only applied to top programs, or if epi is just very different, but when I talked to program directors about GRE they said that they weigh other parts of the app more heavily and look at the kind of classes you took to balance out the Quant part of the GRE because they realize it’s not a great metric. 

Are you sure that the GRE is the only sticking point? I knew someone who applied last year and she didn’t get in to any PhD programs and one of the program directors basically told her that one of her letters of rec sabotaged her. It was not  explicitly bad, but it really wasn’t great and there was a lot to read between the lines if you will. 

Just something to think about

39 minutes ago, HopefulHPM2018 said:

I know that epi is a quant heavy field but in Health services research I applied for quantitative streams/tracks/concentrations/cognates, or whatever you want to call them, with a Quant score in the 59% percentile and got into a couple of schools still. I took a lot of quant classes that I did very well in and the rest of my app was solid. So I’m not sure if you only applied to top programs, or if epi is just very different, but when I talked to program directors about GRE they said that they weigh other parts of the app more heavily and look at the kind of classes you took to balance out the Quant part of the GRE because they realize it’s not a great metric. 

Are you sure that the GRE is the only sticking point? I knew someone who applied last year and she didn’t get in to any PhD programs and one of the program directors basically told her that one of her letters of rec sabotaged her. It was not  explicitly bad, but it really wasn’t great and there was a lot to read between the lines if you will. 

Just something to think about

Jesus what a terrible recommendor to have done that. Like dont write a rec if you have nothing but wonderful things to say. Just politely decline your student. 

Good to know. Thanks for the response. I'm trying to reach out to the programs to identify where my weak spots were and hopefully improve for next years application cycle. I did apply to only top schools, so that could be something to do with it. It could also be my area of interest within epidemiology, which may see heavy funding cuts in the near future. 

That is pretty terrible about that person's recommendation letters! I hope that didn't happen in my case. I think they would have all been strong, but maybe I'm wrong! 

2 hours ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Anyone else not heard a peep from Brown Epi still?

I have had at least two email requests for updates only to hear back that it's still "under review..."

-_-

I haven't heard back! Though I think it's a soft reject because some people have already gotten interviews/acceptances from Brown. I actually forgot that I was still waiting for their decision, in my head I've stopped counting Brown as a potential school lol.

I think I saw someone was accepted to NYU/Epi track last week, but can't seem to find the entry on the survey webpage now.

Does anyone have an update on that?

That is the last school I'm waiting to hear from, and I'm not very optimistic since I haven't heard a word since recruitment day last month.

On 2/28/2018 at 3:14 PM, HopefulHPM2018 said:

I got a rejection pretty early on from UCLA and then they came out with some acceptances, so they might still be deciding on you, trying to figure out some funding, or you could be on an unofficial waitlist and they’re waiting to see if they have any early acceptances decline. Don’t think it would hurt to reach out—getting pretty late in the game. 

Didnt get an interview at NYU so probably a no. I saw someone post for Harvard so those acceptances probably went out last week and rejections will go out soon.

So my cycle will probably be:

rejected: NYU, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, UW(?)

accepted: Michigan, Minnesota 

Wanted to say thank you for giving me a bit of hope for UCLA. You were right. I called and they have a waitlist but aren't "dipping into it" until they hear back about whether they'll receive some additional funding to take more students. I know this doesn't change anything for you, but I appreciate you chiming in. I would have just continued to assume there was an error in sending out my rejection notice. 

I hope you like the programs you got accepted to and that they're a good fit for your interests. I haven't gotten officially accepted anywhere so am planning for the possibility of re-applying next cycle. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by KBA83

30 minutes ago, pkv said:

I think I saw someone was accepted to NYU/Epi track last week, but can't seem to find the entry on the survey webpage now.

Does anyone have an update on that?

That is the last school I'm waiting to hear from, and I'm not very optimistic since I haven't heard a word since recruitment day last month.

I don't have any information, but saw that entry on the survey page too. I haven't heard back since interviewing (I applied to the policy and management not epi) so am thinking it's probably a rejection, or if I'm lucky maybe a wait list spot. Good luck, I hope you hear something soon.

21 minutes ago, KBA83 said:

I don't have any information, but saw that entry on the survey page too. I haven't heard back since interviewing (I applied to the policy and management not epi) so am thinking it's probably a rejection, or if I'm lucky maybe a wait list spot. Good luck, I hope you hear something soon.

Hi, I attended NYU interview day as well for the policy and management track (probably we have met that day!) and haven't heard back either. Don't lose faith just yet!  

2 hours ago, yc2018 said:

Hi, I attended NYU interview day as well for the policy and management track (probably we have met that day!) and haven't heard back either. Don't lose faith just yet!  

Hey there! 

Yes, here's to waiting a little longer :)

Just heard back from NYU. was informed that the committee was reviewing my application and would get back to me late April!! When I asked if that was a typo and they meant March, I was informed that it was in fact April!! Isnt the deadline for all schools April 15th?