1 hour ago, storm_jonas said:

For anyone applying to UNC - are interviews optional and are people planning on doing one? I'm guessing it helps to do an interview if you can find a way down to Chapel Hill?

Not sure how it is for Epi, but I know for Health Behavior that it's possible candidates may be asked to do a Skype interview.

On 30/12/2017 at 2:26 AM, storm_jonas said:

For anyone applying to UNC - are interviews optional and are people planning on doing one? I'm guessing it helps to do an interview if you can find a way down to Chapel Hill?

I'm an international applicant and live abroad, so I am assuming Skype interviews will be offered to people like myself?... I would love to attend for interviews if invited, but I doubt I will be able to without reimbursement.

Undergrad Institution: University of Delaware
Major(s): Economics
Minor(s): Philosophy 
GPA in Major: unsure
Overall GPA: 2.9

Postgrad: MPH in Public Health (GPA 3.98) at George Washington University 

Postgrad: MA in Urban Bioethics (GPA 4.00) at Temple University

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 155 (59%)
V: 157 (76%)
W: 5.0 (93%)

TOEFL Total: n/a

Research Experience: 3 years as a research program manager for community health research, 1 year as an IRB coordinator, 3 years in pharma

Special Bonus Points:a few poster presentations, a few articles in the work section but nothing submitte

Applying to Where: Johns Hopkins, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Columbia, Drexel, Saint Louis University, University of Pittsburgh, UC-Berkeley

I was feeling confident originally but as time goes by, I’m now assuming I’ll get regretted from everywhere. 

Edited by CatDog1122

On 12/23/2017 at 11:50 AM, FrozenFreshMeat said:

Yes, invited to school visit (did not say "interview" in that email)

The date conflicts with another school (drexel) :(

When did you hear from Drexel? I haven’t gotten an invitation to their Grad Open House which I’m assuming is bad news. 

Edited by CatDog1122
Typo

16 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

When did you hear from Drexel? I haven’t gotten an invitation to their Grad Open House which I’m assuming is bad news. 

I received their email on 12/22/2017. It's a very brief invitation to Doctoral Students Day, and did not mention "interview" inside.

also, I picked them out from my "promotion" folder (if you are using gmail), so worth another search! Good Luck!

7 minutes ago, eek_ said:

Received invitation to JHU recruitment weekend this morning (For Environmental Health and Engineering-I think department specific?)

Wow congrats! I applied for the same program, but haven't heard anything?

Good luck on your application!

2 minutes ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

Wow congrats! I applied for the same program, but haven't heard anything?

Good luck on your application!

Fingers crossed for you! It was just sent out by an administrator I think - so perhaps they are sending them individually/still working on the invites :)

On 12/3/2017 at 12:34 PM, Pennk said:

Accepted

• University of Texas Health Science Center - by email on 11/29/17 (I am surprised as anyone!)

Did UT give you funding? Parts of their website indicates that they don't offer funding for Fall semester, but then other parts of their website make it seem like they do. 

18 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

Did UT give you funding? Parts of their website indicates that they don't offer funding for Fall semester, but then other parts of their website make it seem like they do. 

No word on funding yet.  I did apply by December 1st which was called the Scholarship deadline.  It said that if you applied for the March deadline that funding would only be offered if still available, so I assume there will be some funding offer.  I just received an informal email about my acceptance and my UTH applicant portal reflects that I was accepted.  I was told that I would receive more information in "coming weeks."  It has been over a month now.

12 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Anyone else apply to, and hear from, UNC, Brown, or Tulane?

These are my top choices and I am getting antsy despite the earliness :unsure:

Looks like, based off of results from past years, you'll hear back (potentially) about interviews from UNC in late January/early February, Brown in mid/late January, and Tulane in late January.

I'm paying attention to a slightly different track (health behavior) from UNC, but I'm not expecting anything until late January. They're just getting back from winter break, so their adcomms are starting their sorting process (I would assume).

57 minutes ago, tiyapakhi said:

Anybody know when people have heard back from UCLA or Univ. of Southern California? Thanks!

You can search past results here: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

There's a search bar at the top where you can type in both your school and program to find more information on past years.

17 hours ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Anyone else apply to, and hear from, UNC, Brown, or Tulane?

These are my top choices and I am getting antsy despite the earliness :unsure:

I am with you on getting antsy!! I feel like this year is a bit delayed. Seemed like a good chunk of ppl last year knew something

New to grad cafe and a bit behind the ball with posting it seems! But I too am getting antsy and am enjoying reading everyone’s backgrounds and processes! 

• Undergrad Institution: Big state school 
  • Major: Biology and French (double major)
  • Minor(s): Statistics
  • GPA: 3.6
  • Grad Institution: Top 10 PH school
  • Concentration: Biostatistics 
  • Grad GPA: 3.7
  • GRE: 161V, 161 Q, 5W
  • Statistician  at the CDC for 3.5 Years with extensive work internationally, RA and TA experience in grad school and undergrad 
  • Strong letters of rec from CDC statisticians, epidemiologists 

Publications/Presentations: 3 first author papers, 6 coauthor papers, others in development, 2 conference presentations 

Applied to

• UW GH metrics, UW Epi, Tulane Global biostatistics and Data Science, UGA Epi, Emory Epi

Acceptances / interviews:

• Admitted at Tulane Global biostatistics and Data Science, no word about funding

I is anyone really familiar with the funding process? It seems like every school has a different mechanism, and some schools seem to admit more students than they offer funding to.... and how important do you think contacting faculty before applying is? I emailed or called someone at 3/6 schools and I’m hoping that’s not a deal breaker....

I applied to UMD as for the Behavioral and Community Health MPH, but they sent me an email saying they'd like to interview me as a PhD candidate instead. A huge surprise and now I'm both excited, but also quite nervous as I think my research and presentations aren't comparable to having papers published or working as a research assistant in public health.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: 163 V/157 Q/5.0 AW
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors: Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

1 hour ago, boisdejasmin said:

I applied to UMD as for the Behavioral and Community Health MPH, but they sent me an email saying they'd like to interview me as a PhD candidate instead. A huge surprise and now I'm both excited, but also quite nervous as I think my research and presentations aren't comparable to having papers published or working as a research assistant in public health.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: 163 V/157 Q/5.0 AW
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors: Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

Congrats! I've been really impressed by UMD so far. I applied to Toxicology and Environmental Health and received an unofficial acceptance from my contact a week or two ago. Do you think you'll go if admitted? It would be great to chat to other people interested in the school!

I'm at another MD school now for my MPH but have not had the best experience...so UMD is very appealing right now!

1 hour ago, eek_ said:

Congrats! I've been really impressed by UMD so far. I applied to Toxicology and Environmental Health and received an unofficial acceptance from my contact a week or two ago. Do you think you'll go if admitted? It would be great to chat to other people interested in the school!

I'm at another MD school now for my MPH but have not had the best experience...so UMD is very appealing right now!

Thanks! I really want to be back in the DC area, so it's a close call between GW and UMD, unless one of the other schools I applied to for MPH bumps me up into the PhD/DrPH pool and offers amazing financial aid. But I can't see anything pulling me away from DC if I an opportunity there.

Edited by boisdejasmin

1 hour ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

I'm wondering if anyone who applied to Emory Epi program has heard anything back?

I saw someone submitted an interview invitation from result search...Usually they send out interview and rejs at the same time...freaking out:o

I saw that too, and have been feeling the same way. No word either way for me!