To those who applied to UCLA, did you send 2 separate GRE scores to SOPHAS and to UCLA's own application form?

It was a bit confusing having to do 2 separate applications, one via SOPHAS and one via the UCLA website... My GRE scores were received in my SOPHAS application, but not in the UCLA mainframe application (i'm not sure if they will have 2 different college codes?). I recently got an email saying that there was a minor discrepancy in my application which was preventing it from loading onto the mainframe database... I wonder if it's because I didn't send the GRE score to both portals

Edited by jjj02027

22 hours ago, beepboopbeepboop said:

Hey guys! So it begins...

Anyone know if Harvard PHS is doing interviews for all of the tracks?

I got a Skype interview invite yesterday for the epidemiology track/subfield. But I don't know about others. Does anyone know if PHS does any in-person interviews? Or are final decisions based on the Skype ones?

This question is for everyone. 

I have been in contact with a few students from the University I'm waiting to hear back from. Last time I heard from them was around finals. I had emailed to thank them for spending time with me at apha and blah blah blah... You get the point. They replied back and said to keep in contact and if I have any questions to just call text email them.  I didn't not email back after this. I figured with finals/holidays they'd be busy. Now that all that is over, do you think it's appropriate to email them back just saying hope they enjoyed their holidays and the off and give them an update about how I applied and just waiting to hear something ? Does this seem a little desperate? 

17 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

I have been in contact with a few students from the University I'm waiting to hear back from. Last time I heard from them was around finals. I had emailed to thank them for spending time with me at apha and blah blah blah... You get the point. They replied back and said to keep in contact and if I have any questions to just call text email them.  I didn't not email back after this. I figured with finals/holidays they'd be busy. Now that all that is over, do you think it's appropriate to email them back just saying hope they enjoyed their holidays and the off and give them an update about how I applied and just waiting to hear something ? Does this seem a little desperate? 

I don't think it's "desperate" to email them to say thanks and mention that you submitted your app, but honestly, I wouldn't expect much/anything to be gained from sending that email. It's just being polite.

1 hour ago, wildtype said:

I got a Skype interview invite yesterday for the epidemiology track/subfield. But I don't know about others. Does anyone know if PHS does any in-person interviews? Or are final decisions based on the Skype ones?

Congrats!! I'm not in Epi, but seems like Epi departments in general are really moving things along.

Per u/FrozenFreshMeat's post, did you get an automated email from the university/department, or a direct email from a potential advisor?

26 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

I agree with @beepboopbeepboop. Also, I doubt students have much information or insight into the admissions process. 

3 hours ago, jjj02027 said:

To those who applied to UCLA, did you send 2 separate GRE scores to SOPHAS and to UCLA's own application form?

It was a bit confusing having to do 2 separate applications, one via SOPHAS and one via the UCLA website... My GRE scores were received in my SOPHAS application, but not in the UCLA mainframe application (i'm not sure if they will have 2 different college codes?). I recently got an email saying that there was a minor discrepancy in my application which was preventing it from loading onto the mainframe database... I wonder if it's because I didn't send the GRE score to both portals

I had a similar issue with Hopkins. Apparently, when I took the GREs, I picked "Bloomberg School of Public Health" instead of the Hopkins one that involved  SOPHAS--I think because it was SOPHAS Hopkins MPH, and I wasn't applying for an MPH. I told this to the admissions person at Hopkins, and she was able to retrieve my GRE scores from the portal where I had them sent. I hope that makes sense...So maybe let the UCLA rep know where you submitted them and see if they can access them there?

4 hours ago, jjj02027 said:

I sent mine to UCLA sophas only as well and on UCLA application portal it says that my scores werent received . I called and asked if I shouldve sent it directly to UCLA and they told me I’m only supposed to send it to sophas and that I shouldn’t worry abt the Gre staus on my application checklist. 

I checked today and it’s still marked as “not received” but I didn’t receive an email saying that I have a ‘minor discrepancy’ so I’m guessing it should be something else? I recommend you call them to make sure!

31 minutes ago, Louie21 said:

Hi all! 

Just received a Skype interview request from Brown for epidemiology. It was from office of admission not a specific professor- do you think it would appropriate for me to ask which professor I would be interviewing with? Would they tell me?

Congrats!! I think it's appropriate - besides, you would want to know whose research is you'd want to brush up on and talk about. 

20 minutes ago, pbcup said:

I applied as well but haven't heard back. 

Ah ok. I just the check past results page, and it looks like they reached out between Jan 20-24. So it can be anytime in the next few weeks! 

6 hours ago, wildtype said:

For which area of specialization? Because the professor with whom I talked to told me that each area of specialization of the epidemiology field of study has his own committee, and I am wondering if they are sending invitations at different times. 

5 hours ago, beepboopbeepboop said:

Congrats!! I'm not in Epi, but seems like Epi departments in general are really moving things along.

Per u/FrozenFreshMeat's post, did you get an automated email from the university/department, or a direct email from a potential advisor?

It does seem that way, based on thegradcafe search results for Harvard/PHS - it's all epi so far. I got some sort of email template from Ellen Furxhi, the epi department admin. It was very short and included a set of times when the potential advisor would be able to meet. 

11 minutes ago, marval13 said:

For which area of specialization? Because the professor with whom I talked to told me that each area of specialization of the epidemiology field of study has his own committee, and I am wondering if they are sending invitations at different times. 

It was for the neuro-psychiatric epidemiology specialization. And yes, I spoke with Deborah Blacker who is/was the head of this specialization and she said the same thing about each having a bit of its own governance. I'm not too sure about how they are coordinating all the invitations, but it seems a little haphazard. Good luck!!

13 hours ago, Louie21 said:

I sent mine to UCLA sophas only as well and on UCLA application portal it says that my scores werent received . I called and asked if I shouldve sent it directly to UCLA and they told me I’m only supposed to send it to sophas and that I shouldn’t worry abt the Gre staus on my application checklist. 

I checked today and it’s still marked as “not received” but I didn’t receive an email saying that I have a ‘minor discrepancy’ so I’m guessing it should be something else? I recommend you call them to make sure!

14 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

I had a similar issue with Hopkins. Apparently, when I took the GREs, I picked "Bloomberg School of Public Health" instead of the Hopkins one that involved  SOPHAS--I think because it was SOPHAS Hopkins MPH, and I wasn't applying for an MPH. I told this to the admissions person at Hopkins, and she was able to retrieve my GRE scores from the portal where I had them sent. I hope that makes sense...So maybe let the UCLA rep know where you submitted them and see if they can access them there?

Thanks I checked with them and they said the GRE thing isn't an issue and that the 'minor discrepancy' are, as the name suggests, minor things that will not affect my application and that I should just wait for the admissions team to contact me about it. I should probably chill a bit!

33 minutes ago, boisdejasmin said:

I'm interviewing with UMD's Department of Behavioral and Community Health on Tuesday; the coordinator said other invitations to interview for other departments will be coming shortly.

This makes me nervous!!! Thanks for the update! ?

Edit: I sure as heck hope that the fact that I don't have a rejection in the portal is a good sign!

Edited by hccgrl

5 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

This makes me nervous!!! Thanks for the update! ?

I'm really feeling nervous now too, by the time I'm interviewed it will have been a grand total of 12 days that I've known I'm being considered for the PhD program instead of an MPH, eek!

14 minutes ago, boisdejasmin said:

I'm really feeling nervous now too, by the time I'm interviewed it will have been a grand total of 12 days that I've known I'm being considered for the PhD program instead of an MPH, eek!

That's great!! Do you remember who you spoke to?

Anyone have a SOPHAS applications that is still just "COMPLETE" (not verified)? I am getting really annoyed with SOPHAS as to why it's taking them so long since I submitted in late November. I already reached out multiple times. All the programs I applied to sent me an email saying that my application is considered complete and has been forwarded to the dept for review. I am still concerned that not being verified will hurt my chances of admission.