11 hours ago, marval13 said:

Me neither 

Adding to those who have not heard from Emory, yet. Yesterday does seem a bit early. From looking at last year's results, they released interviews on January 9, which would be the equivalent of this upcoming Monday. Perhaps, they are doing it somewhat staggered this year though.

I also saw someone put in an interview for JHU International Health.  Has anyone else heard from JHU IH? 

1 hour ago, oncearunner said:

Adding to those who have not heard from Emory, yet. Yesterday does seem a bit early. From looking at last year's results, they released interviews on January 9, which would be the equivalent of this upcoming Monday. Perhaps, they are doing it somewhat staggered this year though.

I also saw someone put in an interview for JHU International Health.  Has anyone else heard from JHU IH? 

Thanks all for your information! 

In terms of JHU, not sure about IH, but I applied for Environmental Health and haven't heard anything back. 

On 1/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, FrozenFreshMeat said:

Thanks all for your information! 

In terms of JHU, not sure about IH, but I applied for Environmental Health and haven't heard anything back. 

I applied at JHU for their Population, Family, and Reproductive Health program and also haven't heard anything. (Submitted application 12/1).

28 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Should a longer wait for programs be directly proportional to nervousness? 

Anyone know how the adcomms process apps? It seems like they meet for like one person at a time, given the results tab on gradschool cafe. ..<_<

Seems like this year is taking longer than usual just for interview invites. :-/ 

51 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Should a longer wait for programs be directly proportional to nervousness? 

Anyone know how the adcomms process apps? It seems like they meet for like one person at a time, given the results tab on gradschool cafe. ..<_<

To your first point, I wouldn't say so. Don't go overthinking the process; Historically (from last year's data), Epidemiology programs don't start sending PhD interview notifications until the tail end of this week, at the very earliest. Sure, there are two Epidemiology interview postings in the Results section already this year, but those are the outliers to the norm.

Adcomms have changed over time, seemingly. No longer do they have to meet with stacks of papers to go over each student (though, some still may). As most everything seems to be submitted electronically, packets can be reviewed at each committee member's own pace (should they not meet together for each review process). I've heard of some adcomms that let individual reviewers make decisions, while others still centralize everything.

While the following link is regarding MS programs, the author states that much could be extrapolated to the PhD process as well: https://www-cs.stanford.edu/~rkarthik/DAGAP.pdf

Also, there was a book published within the past few years titled Inside Graduate Admissions: Merit, Diversity and Faculty Gatekeeping...if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole.

Remember a few things: For programs that you applied to with a December 1st deadline, schools need to let you know before April 15th if you've been accepted (at least, I believe this holds true). That's more than 3 months away! Historical data can only predict so much, so sit back, relax, and breathe. For the time being, everything is out of your hands. Also, not everyone who hears from programs posts on the forums/results/visits this website. So, there may be three or four people who have heard from the Harvard Epidemiology program rather than the one individual currently listed, but we'll never know. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to keep tabs on every single person passing through the gates, so to speak.

24 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

Seems like this year is taking longer than usual just for interview invites. :-/ 

The anticipation is killing me...not to mention I'm checking my e-mail at least 15 times a day...even though I know new e-mails get pushed to my iPhone :lol:

On 1/5/2018 at 1:12 PM, boisdejasmin said:

I applied to UMD as for the Behavioral and Community Health MPH, but they sent me an email saying they'd like to interview me as a PhD candidate instead. A huge surprise and now I'm both excited, but also quite nervous as I think my research and presentations aren't comparable to having papers published or working as a research assistant in public health.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: 163 V/157 Q/5.0 AW
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors: Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

And @eek_...

I applied to UMD as well but the maternal child health track.  I attended their open house in October and was very apprehensive about the whole thing. I had my heart set on University of South Florida. When I got to the open house at UMD , I was extremely impressed and felt so at home! Even if I don't get accepted, I will try to stay ok contact with the faculty and school of public health (and apply again next year). The location is such a plus too!

2 minutes ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

Hahaha me too! Good luck other other programs! 

Haha we posted this at the exact same time. Good luck to you as well. I'm hoping to get accepted to just 1 program (with funding)! 

Rejection too! Pretty bummed because I thought my interests aligned well with multiple faculty, and spoke to them as well... Goes to show this whole process is a complete crapshoot. Makes me extra nervous with the waiting game :/

16 hours ago, ianmleavitt said:

For the time being, everything is out of your hands. Also, not everyone who hears from programs posts on the forums/results/visits this website. So, there may be three or four people who have heard from the Harvard Epidemiology program rather than the one individual currently listed, but we'll never know. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to keep tabs on every single person passing through the gates, so to speak.

Sorry to all those that got email rejections from Emory today. As @ianmleavitt said, not everyone will check and update gradcafe, but for those of us that do it would be helpful if people start adding data points to the survey! Adding those rejections really stung last time I applied - but they were really useful references.

I was more of less "ghosted" by a program last time - I found out I was really on the wait list but low enough that they didn't want to tell me an give me hope since there was such a low probability enough people would reject offers to pull me of the list.

Anyway - good luck this week everyone!

3 hours ago, beepboopbeepboop said:

Hey guys! So it begins...

Anyone know if Harvard PHS is doing interviews for all of the tracks?

My company obviously blocked the result page, so that I had a hard time to submitting my data…

My friend applied to PHS-EPI and heard back today to schedule a skype interview by a professor. Seems that professors are reaching individuals instead of admin sending out general emails. So I assume that it may takes a while for them to send out all the invitations. (That assumption makes me feel better???