Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I received a text from my POI at Tulane (one of my top choices!!) which is exciting, but am getting told from my father and others that to pause on committing there is a mistake. Anyone have valuable input here? I was basically offered a spot, in what I would term a "soft" offer with further details to come. Does this mean that if I don't act I will lose that offer waiting on the likes of UNC, Brown, Yale, Harvard etc?

 

HALP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

I received a text from my POI at Tulane (one of my top choices!!) which is exciting, but am getting told from my father and others that to pause on committing there is a mistake. Anyone have valuable input here? I was basically offered a spot, in what I would term a "soft" offer with further details to come. Does this mean that if I don't act I will lose that offer waiting on the likes of UNC, Brown, Yale, Harvard etc?

 

HALP

Embarking on a PhD is a significant endeavor, as you know. I would make whatever choice feels most authentic to you and is best for your over-all well being (financial, mental, physical etc) rather than deciding based on external pressure. 

 

Logistically, if you are offered a spot I believe you have until April 15th to make a decision-you won't lose the offer from Tulane until after the 15th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

I received a text from my POI at Tulane (one of my top choices!!) which is exciting, but am getting told from my father and others that to pause on committing there is a mistake. Anyone have valuable input here? I was basically offered a spot, in what I would term a "soft" offer with further details to come. Does this mean that if I don't act I will lose that offer waiting on the likes of UNC, Brown, Yale, Harvard etc?

 

HALP

Firstly congrats!!! 

I feel there is no need for you to "commit" right now since founding/mentor is not clear at this point. A thank you message would not serve as commitment for sure.  When the official offer comes, generally they will include a deadline for you to reply, and any formal reply to that offer message would be considered "commitment".

P.S. My friend committed to school A last year, and got an offer from her top choice afterwards (in crazy late April!). It was a chaos for her and for both programs, but she ended up her best choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, linnbear said:

It seems like a lot of people have already heard back from UNC Epi for interview requests and some even have acceptances. UNC was my first choice and I haven't heard anything. I'm assuming it' a no go for me. :(

UNC's decision process to me is a bit "non-traditional"

From my past experience (2016 cycle), POI emailed me in late February saying "just reviewed" my application; interview was in mid-March; wait-list was in early April and formal rejection came late April.....

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

UNC's decision process to me is a bit "non-traditional"

From my past experience (2016 cycle), POI emailed me in late February saying "just reviewed" my application; interview was in mid-March; wait-list was in early April and formal rejection came late April.....

Hope this helps!

Hmm thanks for sharing! I am wondering if they review what they deem to be "weaker" applicants later and then send rejections late on. I hope this isn't the case. It's only mid January so I guess I should not panic yet. Besides a generic rejection email from Emory, I haven't heard anything from the 8 programs I applied to :(. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, linnbear said:

Hmm thanks for sharing! I am wondering if they review what they deem to be "weaker" applicants later and then send rejections late on. I hope this isn't the case. It's only mid January so I guess I should not panic yet. Besides a generic rejection email from Emory, I haven't heard anything from the 8 programs I applied to :(. 

I know that feeling!!! Hang in there, despite the anxiety....No news doesn't mean a bad news! It's just mid-January

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, eek_ said:

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia? For any of their programs?

No response from Columbia so far. At least we’re both in suspense together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CatDog1122 said:

No response from Columbia so far. At least we’re both in suspense together!

I too applied and am in waiting. After doing some searching, I found something on their admissions page mentioning that notifications will not go out until at least February. Anyone have evidence to suggest otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

Firstly congrats!!! 

I feel there is no need for you to "commit" right now since founding/mentor is not clear at this point. A thank you message would not serve as commitment for sure.  When the official offer comes, generally they will include a deadline for you to reply, and any formal reply to that offer message would be considered "commitment".

P.S. My friend committed to school A last year, and got an offer from her top choice afterwards (in crazy late April!). It was a chaos for her and for both programs, but she ended up her best choice.

Thanks!!

 

Right so I am less interested in my dad's opinion than the potential semi-truth it reveals. But, it seems like that may be wrong and I really have the position despite not immediately "committing." Hopefully my call with POI this afternoon will clear up a bunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, pkv said:

Yesterday, I received an invitation for a 30-minute phone/Skype interview for the SBS/PHS program at Harvard.

A buddy of mine who applied to the same program was also invited yesterday. 

Hi, I received this invitation as well. But my interviewer is none of my POIs, and I know nothing about him. Are you in the same situation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard back from most of my programs, including those that other people already have interviews/acceptances such as UNC, Brown, and BU... The anticipation/anxiety is killing me. :wacko: Doesn't help that I'm not a citizen and funding is tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jjyyg Not who you quoted, but my interview is with my POI that I mentioned in my statement of purpose. For what it's worth, I both emailed and spoke with him over the phone before submitting my application to ensure he would have funding and that I felt the match would be good. Had you spoken to any of your POIs prior to applying? Does the interviewer have any research interests that match up with you at all? Perhaps they are part of the AdComm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pbcup said:

I haven't heard back from most of my programs, including those that other people already have interviews/acceptances such as UNC, Brown, and BU... The anticipation/anxiety is killing me. :wacko: Doesn't help that I'm not a citizen and funding is tough.

Me neither (besides a generic rejection email). It's only mid January, so don't worry yet. Same thing I'm telling myself hahaha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjyyg said:

Hi, I received this invitation as well. But my interviewer is none of my POIs, and I know nothing about him. Are you in the same situation? 

Hey, I'm not sure how helpful this will be  but the same thing happened to me for my UNC interview. For UNC they won't tell you who they are considering for faculty match prior to acceptance, but it was obvious during my interview that I was interviewing with someone they'd consider placing me with. This wasn't someone I'd spoken to or written about in my personal statement. Try to read up on them and see if it's someone you're interested and if it's obviously a potential match. If the research interests aren't at all close then I think @ianmleavitt is right it's probably just someone from AdComm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ianmleavitt said:

@jjyyg Not who you quoted, but my interview is with my POI that I mentioned in my statement of purpose. For what it's worth, I both emailed and spoke with him over the phone before submitting my application to ensure he would have funding and that I felt the match would be good. Had you spoken to any of your POIs prior to applying? Does the interviewer have any research interests that match up with you at all? Perhaps they are part of the AdComm...

Yes I met one of my POIs in person before I submitted my application. I feel weird because my interviewer shares no common research interests with me. I just asked the coordinator, and got a reply that some interviewers are with potential mentors but some interviewers are evaluating candidates on general admission criteria. 

Anyway, thank you for your information! Good luck to both of us!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, west_k said:

Hey, I'm not sure how helpful this will be  but the same thing happened to me for my UNC interview. For UNC they won't tell you who they are considering for faculty match prior to acceptance, but it was obvious during my interview that I was interviewing with someone they'd consider placing me with. This wasn't someone I'd spoken to or written about in my personal statement. Try to read up on them and see if it's someone you're interested and if it's obviously a potential match. If the research interests aren't at all close then I think @ianmleavitt is right it's probably just someone from AdComm.

I think so! He is probably form the AdComm as we share no common research interests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with FrozenFreshMeat that UNC is a bit "non-traditional".

I received my masters from Gilling's in another program and applied the doctoral Epi at UNC. My PI during my maters knows my POI very well so I contacted POI before and after my application and the POI emailed me back just now saying she hasn't received my application for review yet. I know there are few people reporting had interviews already and even got admitted to UNC Epi, but like I said some professors haven't even started reviewing so for those haven't heard back from UNC - don't panic yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an email from Columbia to fill out the FAFSA... lol 

last year there was a FinAid survey that seemed to go out to everyone, as I evidently got rejected. So wondering if anyone else just got a similar email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Just got an email from Columbia to fill out the FAFSA... lol 

last year there was a FinAid survey that seemed to go out to everyone, as I evidently got rejected. So wondering if anyone else just got a similar email?

I believe it's just a general email to everyone-It's also in my mailbox

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

I believe it's just a general email to everyone-It's also in my mailbox

 

Same! FAFSA for a phd program doesn’t make any sense. My 2016 income would be irrelevant if I’m a full-time student. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Just got an email from Columbia to fill out the FAFSA... lol 

last year there was a FinAid survey that seemed to go out to everyone, as I evidently got rejected. So wondering if anyone else just got a similar email?

I got it too, I think they sent it out to everyone who applied. Do you guys know if we have to complete the FAFSA as doctoral applicants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 1:34 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Anyone who applied to JHU Population, Family, and Reproductive Health heard anything?

I applied to JHU (but for Implementation) and haven't heard a thing. Also not heard from GWU - I think you applied there too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjyyg said:

I think so! He is probably form the AdComm as we share no common research interests. 

ah! a good old fashion admissions interview :) enjoy the somewhat silly general admin questions, those are always fun. Good luck!! Hopefully it means you're basically in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.