HKS 2018

Stacy_85

21 minutes ago, MPA__Applicant said:

They have spring break from 10th to 18th March. But Adcom still work during break?

Yep office admin usually work during spring break. At least that’s how where I attend. 

5 minutes ago, econ14 said:

Shortly means next Wenesday, I'm almost positive  

Agreed! If this is the first time they are releasing funding decisions at the same time, I can’t imagine they would substantially alter their blog post/admissions announcement sequence, and do it all earlier - but who knows. Not getting my hopes up for today (or getting in ?).

Nothing.

8 minutes ago, 2018MPP said:

From my observations, only for MPP, those who have the text above admission and financial tab disappeared since Monday will get in/waitlisted, and the latter group will get rejected.

MPP applicants who were assigned counselors after 2pm EST will probably get denied. Should not be in alphabetical order, cause my name/ last name is at the beginning..

I'm not sure how much we should read into this...

8 minutes ago, 2018MPP said:

From my observations, only for MPP, those who have the text above admission and financial tab disappeared since Monday will get in/waitlisted, and the latter group will get rejected.

MPP applicants who were assigned counselors after 2pm EST will probably get denied. Should not be in alphabetical order, cause my name/ last name is at the beginning..

Is this something you've determined from forums on prior years?

30 minutes ago, 2018MPP said:

someone (@poefan) who was in the same discussion last year already told us many times that these things have nothing to do with admission decisions

last year they all made the same kind of assumptions on portal changes and so on and when admissions were released they just realised that any link could be drawn

Edited by mpa-applicant

4 minutes ago, mpa-applicant said:

someone who was in the same discussion last year already told us many times that these things have nothing to do with admission decisions

I would think so as well. No consistencies.

Yep, lots of reasons not to read too much into timing. Sometimes schools group applications by sector/experience/profile type and then pick admits from within those subgroups, which could all happen at different meetings. I still stand by my feeling that it's SUPER weird to assign someone a counselor and then reject them. It could very well be what's happening, but it'd be weird nonetheless. 

4 minutes ago, pumpkinturbo said:

Yep, lots of reasons not to read too much into timing. Sometimes schools group applications by sector/experience/profile type and then pick admits from within those subgroups, which could all happen at different meetings. I still stand by my feeling that it's SUPER weird to assign someone a counselor and then reject them. It could very well be what's happening, but it'd be weird nonetheless. 

Is it that strange, though? It could be a way for them to cover up decision results before they come out, and unassigning may not take too long...? I'm more confused about the fact that admits and packages come out together. Does that mean they only make packages for admits and have the list a week beforehand? LOL. 

5 minutes ago, lackey said:

Is it that strange, though? It could be a way for them to cover up decision results before they come out, and unassigning may not take too long...? I'm more confused about the fact that admits and packages come out together. Does that mean they only make packages for admits and have the list a week beforehand? LOL. 

It could be, but IMHO it'd be a bad one for reasons other than their internal workflow: it creates confusion for candidates (they seem to take candidate experience very seriously given how much effort they put into the blog), and would likely result in lots of people bugging the counselors who aren't even going to get in. Wouldn't it be just as easy to not post any counselor info for anybody, and then post it for the admits once decisions come out? I can't imagine that taking much longer.

Unless this is the only way for counselors to get access to the contents of financial aid applications, I don't know why they'd need to do this. And we submitted our financial aid info through the same portal as the admissions app, not through MYFAID. 

5 minutes ago, pumpkinturbo said:

It could be, but IMHO it'd be a bad one for reasons other than their internal workflow: it creates confusion for candidates (they seem to take candidate experience very seriously given how much effort they put into the blog), and would likely result in lots of people bugging the counselors who aren't even going to get in. Wouldn't it be just as easy to not post any counselor info for anybody, and then post it for the admits once decisions come out? I can't imagine that taking much longer.

Unless this is the only way for counselors to get access to the contents of financial aid applications, I don't know why they'd need to do this. And we submitted our financial aid info through the same portal as the admissions app, not through MYFAID. 

It's certainly a confusing process! 

32 minutes ago, pumpkinturbo said:

actually not weird because from a previous post, councelours are assigned based on the program so you just enter the same name for applicants of the same program.

4 minutes ago, mpa-applicant said:

actually not weird because from a previous post, councelours are assigned based on the program so you just enter the same name for applicants of the same program.

Seemed to be mixed based on my reading (some people shared the initials of their counselor) but that doesn't necessarily disprove what you're saying. 

I don't think it's weird because it takes a long time, though. I think it's weird because it causes confusion and results in lots of speculation and (probably) lots of inquiries that they wouldn't get otherwise. 

23 minutes ago, pumpkinturbo said:

Seemed to be mixed based on my reading (some people shared the initials of their counselor) but that doesn't necessarily disprove what you're saying. 

I don't think it's weird because it takes a long time, though. I think it's weird because it causes confusion and results in lots of speculation and (probably) lots of inquiries that they wouldn't get otherwise. 

Yeah that's my point. I'm sure it'll be clearer next year since it's their first time doing fin aid and admissions decision simultaneously.