2017 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Congrats! Was it an email from the DGS, a phone call from your POI...?

Standard autoemail telling me to check the website. Said details would come directly from the department soon. Check the website if you applied! Was feeling pretty down too after implied rejections from Berkeley and UCLA. I guess it really is about fit.

Hi, all! Congratulations on all of your acceptances!

This is my first time posting. I just got my acceptance to Miami University yesterday! I'm curious if it's normal to receive a portal decision prior to an email from the DGS? I haven't received any emails but have a decision letter on my portal. It's from the graduate school director and does not mention any details about funding.  Any ideas on this?

36 minutes ago, positivitize said:

I got into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's English MA program yesterday!

18 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

JUST GOT INTO BROWN AHHHHHHHHHH

Woo hoo!! Congrats to you both! :D

4 minutes ago, somethingcreative said:

This is my first time posting. I just got my acceptance to Miami University yesterday! I'm curious if it's normal to receive a portal decision prior to an email from the DGS? I haven't received any emails but have a decision letter on my portal. It's from the graduate school director and does not mention any details about funding.  Any ideas on this?

Yes, it happens sometimes -- that was the case for my acceptance at OSU: it changed on the portal and I didn't receive an email from the DGS until a full day later. So you should be able to safely start celebrating. Congrats!

5 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yes, it happens sometimes -- that was the case for my acceptance at OSU: it changed on the portal and I didn't receive an email from the DGS until a full day later. So you should be able to safely start celebrating. Congrats!

Thanks for easing my mind a bit! I can't wait to find out more information. Miami is my first acceptance and definitely in my top 2! 

11 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Thanks so much man! I'm still having trouble believing it. Hopefully the tuition waiver follows. Congrats at getting into OSU!

Whether you know it or not, you helped me a lot over the last few weeks. I've read your posts for a few hours a day and learned a ton. Hopefully I'll be as good as you at the whole process in another two years when I'm applying for my PhD. =D

Edited by positivitize

31 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Standard autoemail telling me to check the website. Said details would come directly from the department soon. Check the website if you applied! Was feeling pretty down too after implied rejections from Berkeley and UCLA. I guess it really is about fit.

I don't know if this makes it better or worse but when I spoke to the grad adviser at UCLA he said that not all acceptances go out on the same day.... So UCLA may still be on the table!

17 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

I don't know if this makes it better or worse but when I spoke to the grad adviser at UCLA he said that not all acceptances go out on the same day.... So UCLA may still be on the table!

Thanks a ton for calling them!! Really helps quell the anxiety. And you're right, an acceptance would make decisions harder, but at this point I just want to know one way or the other. Good luck to you as well, I hope you hear good news from them and elsewhere!

50 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Checked on mine--still just says submitted. CONGRATULATIONS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously so amazing!!!!!!!!! Brown is the coolest school ever in my book.

Side note: how is it that grad programs are so much more disorganized/staggered when it comes to announcing admit results? In the undergrad days, it was like "okay, everyone check and this time on this day!" for thousands of applicants. I'm sure it has to do with more individualized nature of the grad admit procedure, but come on! Maybe the application boards aren't hip to the communal anxiety of the Grad Cafe...;) 

8 minutes ago, VirginiaWoolf said:

Checked on mine--still just says submitted. CONGRATULATIONS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously so amazing!!!!!!!!! Brown is the coolest school ever in my book.

Side note: how is it that grad programs are so much more disorganized/staggered when it comes to announcing admit results? In the undergrad days, it was like "okay, everyone check and this time on this day!" for thousands of applicants. I'm sure it has to do with more individualized nature of the grad admit procedure, but come on! Maybe the application boards aren't hip to the communal anxiety of the Grad Cafe...;) 

My guess is that undergrad admissions are managed centrally by the Admissions office whereas grad goes to individual departments/committees!

@claritus are you the Brown poster who said they were shut out last year? I ask cause I think we should start a club :P But seriously, I've been thinking those of us who managed to turn our applications around should do a thread on how we changed strategies once all the results are in, to help out future applicants. I remember there was a poster last year who struck out and then was accepted to Columbia the following year, and seeing that really helped me stay positive.

6 minutes ago, Caien said:

@claritus are you the Brown poster who said they were shut out last year? I ask cause I think we should start a club :P But seriously, I've been thinking those of us who managed to turn our applications around should do a thread on how we changed strategies once all the results are in, to help out future applicants. I remember there was a poster last year who struck out and then was accepted to Columbia the following year, and seeing that really helped me stay positive.

No I'm applying directly out of undergrad, which is partially why I'm so astounded! I had a pretty rough go for a fair bit of undergrad; dealt with some mental health issues and ended up completing a 6-year BA. I thought I was aiming really high, and expected one PhD acceptance at maximum, so this is really beyond anything I expected.