Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, Hk328 said:

Most schools have at least 2 dates. If school B extends an invite, then you can see what their options are for alternate dates. I agree with @ihatedis, prioritize the school you know you have an interview for. 

thanks so much, really needed some advice! The back and forth with this PI is getting very nerve racking and stressful

8 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

I believe it's Feb 15th? (This is the date my supervisor is interviewing her candidates). Not sure if this varies by POI though. 

52 minutes ago, Letitbedone said:

Does anyone know what the FIU in-person interview dates are?

I was told Feb 8 or 10 (around then, POI wasnt 100% sure). So I wonder if it does in fact vary, I guess its only really a diff of one week so maybe they have two weekends for alternates if one cant make weekend A

47 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

I believe it's Feb 15th? (This is the date my supervisor is interviewing her candidates). Not sure if this varies by POI though. 

36 minutes ago, psychclin said:

I was told Feb 8 or 10 (around then, POI wasnt 100% sure). So I wonder if it does in fact vary, I guess its only really a diff of one week so maybe they have two weekends for alternates if one cant make weekend A

Thanks for sharing! This is super helpful!!

Ugh y’all I’m so tired of being anxious! 

I was told in December that GW (psyd) we’re going to discuss applicants at their faculty retreat Jan 11 and then extend interviews shortly after. I was also informed that the first interview weekend is the 25th. That’s so soon and there’s no word out yet! I know with the storm their faculty retreat may have been pushed back. But it’s so hard waiting!

also waiting to hear back from Minnesota (counseling track) and Umass Boston (counseling)

Is anyone starting to worry that the government shutdown and the TSA issues might mess up their interviews? I’m flying across the country for mine in less than two weeks and I’m starting to worry the shutdown will still be going on and everyone will be on strike by then!

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

Is anyone starting to worry that the government shutdown and the TSA issues might mess up their interviews? I’m flying across the country for mine in less than two weeks and I’m starting to worry the shutdown will still be going on and everyone will be on strike by then!

YES! But totally outside our control. I don't think any department will hold this against their applicants ever.

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

100%. Especially because I'll be flying in from Canada, and then all around the USA. But I am flying in next week, and I am planning on staying in the US with my SO until the end of my interviews. Since I'm Canadian and am not keeping up with all the current events in the states, how exactly could the shutdown affect both domestic and international flights in the coming months? 

3 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

100%. Especially because I'll be flying in from Canada, and then all around the USA. But I am flying in next week, and I am planning on staying in the US with my SO until the end of my interviews. Since I'm Canadian and am not keeping up with all the current events in the states, how exactly could the shutdown affect both domestic and international flights in the coming months? 

Our government is shutdown so that means TSA employees aren’t being paid (and all government employees except congress and the executive branch essentially) sooo in theory they could go on strike. If they do go on strike, they won’t have their jobs anymore so it’s really messed up that they have to work for free or not have a job. I don’t think this would impact you coming in but it may impact you going home! I hope this isn’t a concern for any of us and the government opens up soon. 

What time do people usually receive email invitations? I'm sure we all experience anxiety checking our inboxes, but maybe we can all take a break when professors don't typically email applicants. For instance, have any professors contacted y'all after 5pm? (assume match between program + student time zone)? What about before 8am?

1 minute ago, 21ny14 said:

What time do people usually receive email invitations? I'm sure we all experience anxiety checking our inboxes, but maybe we can all take a break when professors don't typically email applicants. For instance, have any professors contacted y'all after 5pm? (assume match between program + student time zone)? What about before 8am?

I'm sorry to tell you this but my first interview invite (currently have 2) was at 10:30 pm. I was so sure no one is emailing at that hour so it can really be any time during the day. 

1 minute ago, 21ny14 said:

I got one late at night (like 10ish) and one right at the end of the work day (5ish)

2 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

I'm sorry to tell you this but my first interview invite (currently have 2) was at 10:30 pm. I was so sure no one is emailing at that hour so it can really be any time during the day. 

2 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

I got one late at night (like 10ish) and one right at the end of the work day (5ish)

Lmfao. RIP. Hoping yours were outliers. Maybe there should be a poll about this but I don't care enough. Anecdotes are enough for me. Anxiety 24/7 I guess.

Edited by 21ny14

7 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Our government is shutdown so that means TSA employees aren’t being paid (and all government employees except congress and the executive branch essentially) sooo in theory they could go on strike.

This not actually what’s going on. The US is currently in a partial government shutdown. Over 60% of government employees are not furloughed or working without paychecks. That is because the DOD (by far the largest federal employer) is funded for fiscal year 2019. 

To to the point, though, the problem with the TSA right now is that the employees are required to work during the shutdown (most government employees are just not currently working). A lot of TSA agents are calling out sick, so it is causing airports to close TSA check points are dramatically increasing the wait time to get through the checkpoints. 

I also want to point out that the TSA employees are not exactly working without pay. They will get paid retroactively when the government reopens. It can definitely be hard on families who do not have a lot in savings, but they aren’t working for free. 

42 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

YES! But totally outside our control. I don't think any department will hold this against their applicants ever.

I’m sure they wouldn’t hold it against me, but I would hate to miss out on things because of the strike. They’re having a department brunch the morning I leave and if I end up having to be at the airport like 5 hours early, I will miss it. Hopefully this will be resolved and a non-issue for all of us!

28 minutes ago, 21ny14 said:

Lmfao. RIP. Hoping yours were outliers. Maybe there should be a poll about this but I don't care enough. Anecdotes are enough for me. Anxiety 24/7 I guess.

Totally speculating here, but I wouldn't expect many PIs to reach out first thing in the morning, so you could maybe pause the anxiety from midnight-12pm. My thinking is that they're usually excited to make these offers, so they'd want to do it ASAP. If they're waiting for approval from a committee or something, they'd find out during the day and email you later. Prob won't find out at night and then wait until 9am to email you.

But again...totally extrapolating :)

6 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Totally speculating here, but I wouldn't expect many PIs to reach out first thing in the morning, so you could maybe pause the anxiety from midnight-12pm. My thinking is that they're usually excited to make these offers, so they'd want to do it ASAP. If they're waiting for approval from a committee or something, they'd find out during the day and email you later. Prob won't find out at night and then wait until 9am to email you.

But again...totally extrapolating :)

Going to have to object to that idea. Two of the four invites I've received so far have been sent at 8am. Granted, I'm Pacific timezone and the schools were both Central so it was more like 10am for them. If you live on the East Coast/Eastern timezone I would say it's probably a safe bet not to receive anything by around 10am though. Pesky timezones mess with everything. So maybe midnight-10am unless you reside on the West Coast of the US; then change it to midnight-8am (so essentially you can hold off on the anxiety while you sleep ?).

5 minutes ago, SoldierOn said:

Going to have to object to that idea. Two of the four invites I've received so far have been sent at 8am. Granted, I'm Pacific timezone and the schools were both Central so it was more like 10am for them. If you live on the East Coast/Eastern timezone I would say it's probably a safe bet not to receive anything by around 10am though. Pesky timezones mess with everything. So maybe midnight-10am unless you reside on the West Coast of the US; then change it to midnight-8am (so essentially you can hold off on the anxiety while you sleep ?).

Wow wait, sort of unrelated but I didn't realize until reading this and then googling the city that the school I was accepted to is in a different timezone than me. I def would've screwed this up and skyped her 3 hours early if we hadn't scheduled our meeting through a web service that defaulted to my time zone ?