Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

I had a skype interview with the PI (developmental) at Rutgers-Newark on 12/11. PI hasn't emailed me anything since. I don't think the interview went amazing so I'm really worried. ? It was supposed to be a 30 minute interview but ended up being an hour. I'm so sad because it was my first ever PhD interview. Sigh, I hope I get more.

Hey so this is super unrelated to applications but I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with Praat and running spectral analysis. I am trying to learn how to use Praat to analyze emotional stress in audio files for a study I am working on and a little desperate for help ?. So if any of you are able to help me it would be amazing ❤️!!!

11 hours ago, Sepal said:

Update about Northwestern: " The applications are in the first round of reviews.  Emails should be sent out later this week inviting candidates to an interview next year. " (Hoather, 2018)

I assume this is Northwestern in Evanston, not Northwestern Feinberg, right? Northwestern Feinberg has their interview date in March and said applicants will hear by Feb 1st I think about invitations, so I'm assuming their invitations will be a while from now.

56 minutes ago, mhassa17 said:

I had a skype interview with the PI (developmental) at Rutgers-Newark on 12/11. PI hasn't emailed me anything since. I don't think the interview went amazing so I'm really worried. ? It was supposed to be a 30 minute interview but ended up being an hour. I'm so sad because it was my first ever PhD interview. Sigh, I hope I get more.

I wouldn't take this as a rejection!! Maybe they just had other interviews later and can't give you any news until after they've talked with everyone. Also maybe they are just still deciding between people they interviewed - lots of possibilities! Hope everything works out for you!

Almost all my applications say "submitted". Only Tulsa is sent me a mail that it's being reviewed. SIU contacted me about some stuff they need before review.

As bad as I feel for professors because they are at the end of the semester and are trying to churn out as many results as possible, I also feel a little betrayed.

Like why ain't you reviewing yet, fam. Why?

Edited by Oluwachristabel

1 minute ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Whoever received an official interview invite to U of Miami...Can you please let me know POI Initials? 
Did you receive an email directly from POI or mass email?

Received a mass e-mail. Interestingly, the e-mail specifies a specific faculty member who I "seem to be an excellent fit to work with" but who is not either of the two faculty members I mentioned in my application or wrote about in my Statement of Purpose. I'll DM you the initials of the POI's I hope to work with / the one I'll be interviewing with.

Hi all, I don't have a question or a status report, just a collection of observations in case they're helpful. In perusing this forum, I've noticed the following possibilities:

1. Immediate acceptance without interview.
  2. Acceptance after interview.
  3. Immediate interview invitation without a Skype/phone pre-interview.
  4. Interview invitation after pre-interview.
  5. Immediate rejection.
  6. Rejection after pre-interview.
  7. Rejection after interview.
  8. Wait list followed by rejection.
  9. Wait list followed by acceptance.

Additionally, I've noticed the following possibilities regarding notification:

1. Mid- to late December acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  2. Early to mid-January acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  3. No rejection until after interview.
  4. No rejection until the end of the admission period (in March or April), either by mail, email, or application portal.

Finally, I see a few more possibilities:

1. Mass emails inviting/accepting/rejecting everyone at once.
  2. Individual generic emails.
  3. Individual personalized emails, especially from POI.

Wouldn't it be nice to know which of these possibilies is likely for each program/department? Feel free to post this info if you know it!

Edited by zpalqm

Anyone else with a significant other who's applying to med school? So you both just come home from work and check your email a million times a night and share (or not) a pint of sea salt caramel halo top and watch Christmas movies and pretend like your lives aren't falling apart and the universe isn't going to separate you and everyone will live happily ever after with their PhD's and MD's? Yeah, me neither.

7 minutes ago, ProperBostonian said:

Anyone else with a significant other who's applying to med school? So you both just come home from work and check your email a million times a night and share (or not) a pint of sea salt caramel halo top and watch Christmas movies and pretend like your lives aren't falling apart and the universe isn't going to separate you and everyone will live happily ever after with their PhD's and MD's? Yeah, me neither.

Present. SO got accepted to Penn State for their chemistry PhD program and it's not looking good. PM me if you want to vent.

20 minutes ago, zpalqm said:

Hi all, I don't have a question or a status report, just a collection of observations in case they're helpful. In perusing this forum, I've noticed the following possibilities:

1. Immediate acceptance without interview.
  2. Acceptance after interview.
  3. Immediate interview invitation without a Skype/phone pre-interview.
  4. Interview invitation after pre-interview.
  5. Immediate rejection.
  6. Rejection after pre-interview.
  7. Rejection after interview.
  8. Wait list followed by rejection.
  9. Wait list followed by acceptance.

Additionally, I've noticed the following possibilities regarding notification:

1. Mid- to late December acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  2. Early to mid-January acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  3. No rejection until after interview.
  4. No rejection until the end of the admission period (in March or April), either by mail, email, or application portal.

Finally, I see a few more possibilities:

1. Mass emails inviting/accepting/rejecting everyone at once.
  2. Individual generic emails.
  3. Individual personalized emails, especially from POI.

Wouldn't it be nice to know which of these possibilies is likely for each program/department? Feel free to post this info if you know it!

I think clinical psych PhD programs rarely immediately accept without interviews, but I could be wrong...

I have a little insider info on U of Miami, if anyone wants to ask me about PIs about DM. They had their initial committee meeting as far as I know and so if you don't hear back relatively soon it's probably not great news.

Edited by veileddreamer

On 12/18/2018 at 4:06 PM, clynclinical said:

School: Ohio University

Type: PhD

Date of Invite: Dec. 17, 2018

Type of invite: Email from PI for phone or Skype interview

Interview date(s): 12/20 or 12/21

School: University of Kentucky

Type: PhD

Date of Invite: Dec. 18, 2018

Type of invite: Mass Email from Department

Interview date(s): Jan. 24-25th

Are these both for Clinical Psychology?

19 minutes ago, veileddreamer said:

I have a little insider info on U of Miami, if anyone wants to ask me about PIs about DM. They had their initial committee meeting as far as I know and so if you don't hear back relatively soon it's probably not great news.

Hello! i would like a dm please :)

1 hour ago, mtoad527 said:

Received a mass e-mail. Interestingly, the e-mail specifies a specific faculty member who I "seem to be an excellent fit to work with" but who is not either of the two faculty members I mentioned in my application or wrote about in my Statement of Purpose. I'll DM you the initials of the POI's I hope to work with / the one I'll be interviewing with.

Could you DM me as well?  Thanks!  Also, what area did you apply to?

12 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

The person who got an interview for unc chapel hill clinical can you DM me the POI?

I'm assuming that anyone who requested it when it was posted earlier in the week is still hoping to hear...myself included :)