Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 minute ago, ResilientDreams said:

Meh. Guess my scores will keep me out of all my programs then...would have been nice to have known before I applied. 

Not every program does it and not every year. I had heard of it before applying and then I heard an adcomm faculty mention it this year. My quant was well below 50th percentile (my verbal and AWA were good). Honestly, so much of this process is chance. I've known people that had horrible application packages that got into programs and people with amazing credentials not get in. So much of it is variables that we as applicants have no control over. 

2 hours ago, higaisha said:

I've heard this is the case for many schools with admissions panels; if the committee doesn't like you, it doesn't matter how much your POI advocates on your behalf. Its so annoying, because you're applying to work with a single person meanwhile the whole department has to vet you, and they might not even know the significance of your work relative to your POI's line of research. 

This is likely to be my fate as well, thanks for sharing your experiences. It makes rejection all that much easier knowing what talented candidates have been cut over something as *seemingly* arbitrary as a test score. 

/sigh

You're welcome! I'm hoping to have better luck this year. I have been invited for one interview so far so that's good news. Good luck! Remember, it is very common for people to go through more than one application cycle before getting into a clinical psych PhD program!

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Meh. Guess my scores will keep me out of all my programs then...would have been nice to have known before I applied. 

Don't count yourself out yet, ResilientDreams. Remain resilient! Having a quant score in the 50th percentile range is definitely not the worst and may be good enough to get you where you want to be. As everyone is saying, there are so many factors at play so don't count yourself out yet! If your scores are similar to those of the previously admitted students in a given program, even if yours is a point or two lower,  you should really not count yourself out yet! Try to remain positive. :] and happy belated birthday.

2 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Apologies that was me, I applied to developmental. Skype interview for first week of January 

No need to apologize! I’m happy to hear that it wasn’t CCSP, though. (; 

Congrats on your interview, and good luck! 

5 minutes ago, Gradphd123 said:

does anyone know if there is a site we can see what the interview dates are for programs? arhis site i know we can see once one student posts, but what about programs which have yet to post?

This one is helpful for clinical programs: https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

35 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

This one is helpful for clinical programs: https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

That site is also helpful for some interview notification deadlines. That's how I found out there are a few who will let you know by the 21st!

44 minutes ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

That site is also helpful for some interview notification deadlines. That's how I found out there are a few who will let you know by the 21st!

Do we know how accurate this website is? I saw UDel should have notified by 12/14 but haven't seen posts about interviews yet. 

5 hours ago, Hk328 said:

This is usually done before it gets to the POI. When you have 300 applicants and 8 spots or less, you are likely to have your pick of tons of great applicants. Statistically, they don't need to thoroughly read 300 applications when they can pull 30-50 high quality applicants to interview from a list of 150 rather than 300. 

The school I'm going to currently (an R1) does not go through admissions processes this way. 

Hi guys. Newcomer here. Here are the programs and PI initials I applied and also my personal experiences. Wish to gain some useful advice here! I am expecting to know someone who applied the same program or same school!!

Applied: Minnesota (PIB, MS), Northwestern (PD&H,OR), UCSC (Developmental, MZ)

Visited: Northwestern (as full-time RA)

Accepted: 

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: 

Stats: 3.65 overall GPA | 3.91 Psychology GPA  | 153V, 3.0AW |1 paper, 2 conferences (1 oral presentation) | 3 years research experience 

Research Interests: identity development among adolescents, master narrative (gender & race), socialization of identity, identity-based intervention, cross-cultural studies

BTW, how can I put this into signature? 

For the coming year (and years following if not admitted), I will still seeking more research experience and currently I have several RA job interviews. And probably I will retake the exams next year but I really question the validity and reliability of GRE..If I became a professor one day, I would not list it as a application requirement XD

Edited by Sepal
add useful information

11 minutes ago, psychxgeekx said:

I was wondering what are the poi initials for those who got interviews at the University of Nevada, Reno?

I was wondering this too! Even more so because I talked to the admissions office this morning on the phone - there was something wrong with my application that I needed changed. I asked the admissions officer if any applications had even been reviewed yet, since I was worried the PIs had seen the incorrect info already, and she reassured me that no clinical applications had even been looked at yet.