Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

20 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Random question, but if a professor is accepting a new student this cycle, will they most likely not be taking a student next year? 

In my experience it depends on the size of that professor's lab! If they have a large lab and adequate funding, they likely take 1-2 students per year. Some others are much smaller and can only take 1 student every 1-2 years. But there are so many other factors that affect this (i.e. the professor might be taking some time off next year, one of their grad students didn't end up graduating on time, etc.) it's pretty hard to tell who will be taking students next cycle. I'd recommend emailing that PI when the app season ends and inquiring about their lab :) 

1 minute ago, mwood126 said:

In my experience it depends on the size of that professor's lab! If they have a large lab and adequate funding, they likely take 1-2 students per year. Some others are much smaller and can only take 1 student every 1-2 years. But there are so many other factors that affect this (i.e. the professor might be taking some time off next year, one of their grad students didn't end up graduating on time, etc.) it's pretty hard to tell who will be taking students next cycle. I'd recommend emailing that PI when the app season ends and inquiring about their lab :) 

Thanks! That is really helpful. I was late to the game this cycle, so I'm planning on getting ready to email as soon as this round dies down around April. 

Just a quick update. I talked to a PI through skype today at NYU and she said the notifications for campus interview will be sent by X'mas. Different division may have different pace but we can expect it to happen before January lol. Pretty much freak out now. Hope they'll invite me for a formal interview. 

38 minutes ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Just a quick update. I talked to a PI through skype today at NYU and she said the notifications for campus interview will be sent by X'mas. Different division may have different pace but we can expect it to happen before January lol. Pretty much freak out now. Hope they'll invite me for a formal interview. 

Social or C&P??

For those who have received interviews, or are in their second round of applications, do you tend to receive invites at a certain time of day? I noticed that Notre Dame sent invitations for interviews this time last year, and am deciding how often I need to frantically check my email (ND is my top pick). 

4 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I get why they're not reviewing yet. Don't stop me from checking every few hours. It's mad nerve wracking.  

I feel like if you look at the results page, a majority of the interviews being sent out are for counseling, developmental, and clinical. Even the clinical forum is showing much more interview invites than social, I/O, or cognitive.

1 hour ago, ItsExistential said:

For those who have received interviews, or are in their second round of applications, do you tend to receive invites at a certain time of day? I noticed that Notre Dame sent invitations for interviews this time last year, and am deciding how often I need to frantically check my email (ND is my top pick). 

In my experience it is totally random! I once recieved an interview by email on Christmas eve at 6pm and for another I got a phone call at 8:00 am two weeks after christmas (neither were for Notre Dame) but I wouldn't expect the time-of-day of notification to stay the same from year to year. 

15 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

I'm applying to development psychology in C & P but I believe their pace should be similar. 

Looks like you're doing well this application cycle! Rooting for you, fellow international student :D

22 hours ago, kalman_gain said:

To everyone who is worried about GRE scores and whether or not some schools would even consider you as an applicant if you don't have a score above threshold X, please treat yourselves better throughout this time and pay little mind to those who would have you believe that it's either a great GRE score or failure.

this is the positive energy I NEEEEDDD lol

56 minutes ago, socpsy said:

To the person who posted their acceptance at the University of Minnesota, what program did you get accepted to? :)

LOL sounds fishy...getting accepted before apps are even fully reviewed...hmmmmm

2 minutes ago, higaisha said:

LOL sounds fishy...getting accepted before apps are even fully reviewed...hmmmmm

From previous years, it looks like UMN takes their sweet time. Especially in social.

Can provide some insight to UMN. 

I visited there in October and they said they decide before the winter break, but the graduate school doesn't send anything out until January. So it's possible that their POI wanted to email the applicant before official results came in. 

Also, I'm applying to PIB program. 

Edited by DevelopingThoughts
Add

Noticed that someone posted an interview invite from UNC Chapel Hill on the results board.  It just says "Psychology."  If you're that someone, would you mind sharing which concentration?  And if it's clinical, would you mind DM'ing me the POI name?  If not, I totally understand.  I'll just be breathing into a paper bag for a while.  Don't mind me... ?

7 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

Noticed that someone posted an interview invite from UNC Chapel Hill on the results board.  It just says "Psychology."  If you're that someone, would you mind sharing which concentration?  And if it's clinical, would you mind DM'ing me the POI name?  If not, I totally understand.  I'll just be breathing into a paper bag for a while.  Don't mind me... ?

can you dm me your POI?

13 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

Same I would love to know if it was clinical or not because UNC is one I applied to if you could post the initials if you're comfortable with that 

Just want to comment and sympathize! I know we are all so intensely stressed!

Additionally, I'm a UNC (undergrad) alumna and social neuroscientist -- so if anyone has any questions about UNC PIs, feel free to DM me! I also applied there this cycle and have not heard back. I asked a friend/colleague in the program there ("normal" psych/neuro, not the BBSP thing) and she said she hasn't heard anyone talking about it yet (which implies admission comm hasn't met yet?) but she could just be out of the loop.

Edited by veileddreamer