Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

3 hours ago, liznlex said:

CONGRATS!

I just responded thanking them for the opportunity to interview and confirming that I will attend. My POI was on the email also so I responded to her suggestion to contact other members of the lab and stated that I was looking forward to learning more about the program and meeting faculty on interview day.  Just be gracious and courteous :) I doubt they have time to nitpick exactly what you say as a response ! 

Oh how awesome, congrats to you too! Where are you interviewing?

And yes, I figured out a response thanking them for the interview and how I look forward to both the interview and discussing research interests with my POI. I agree, gracious and courteous is always the way to go. 

Edited by SoldierOn

4 hours ago, h20lily said:

I haven't sifted through 33 pages of entries, but are there any other Community Psychology PhD candidates out there? It's such a small field, but I'd love to meet up with others who are applying. I have submitted apps to: UIC, DePaul, Hawaii, NCSU, GWU, U Mich, Cincinnati, UCSC, Portland, Miami, Alaska and a few social psych programs where my POI was interested in the same areas of research.  Plus UMass Psych of Peace. I have held it together until now, finals week. I am taking 16 units and I cannot focus on anything but my app status.

Basic Stats:

3.89 GPA

GRE Mid-150s

5-written

6 months in a qual lab on interpersonal violence

Presenting my own research on disproportionality in special education this spring

2 years experience in community organizing and grass roots community training, including co-founding my own action group that now has 200 members

I am applying to social programs but also applied to the Psychology of Peace and Violence program at UMass Amherst. Which POIs did you select?

13 hours ago, SoldierOn said:

Oh how awesome, congrats to you too! Where are you interviewing?

And yes, I figured out a response thanking them for the interview and how I look forward to both the interview and discussing research interests with my POI. I agree, gracious and courteous is always the way to go. 

Southern Mississippi! 

On 12/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Anyone applying to George Mason- do you see this in your self-service? "Admissions Initial Processing Completed (AIPC) not received."

Just want to make sure this is not something I should have done!

Mine says "Admissions Initial Processing Completed (AIPC) received." and I also received a confirmation email that my application was "complete" after my final LOR was submitted. I think the AIPC is something they do on their end though, not your responsibility

19 hours ago, PsychGal said:

Has anyone heard from UGA?

I got an email this morning saying I wasn’t being considered for their Clinical program but that I wouldn’t get an official rejection for a few months. Bummer but it’s only one out of the 14 I applied to so still hopeful. 

3 hours ago, liznlex said:

Southern Mississippi! 

Question - 

Did your status update from "Application Complete - Ready to be Reviewed" to something else prior to getting an interview invite? I'm trying to figure out if they just haven't looked at mine yet or if I wasn't selected for an interview.

Okay, question for you all -- on Monday night, I got a text (yes, you read that right, a TEXT) from a POI at UC-Irvine asking if I had time for a call that night or the next day. UCI is PT, but I am ET, so when I got the text, it was already 9:30 pm my time (6:30 pm PT), so I was turning in for the night. I responded saying that I was available on Tuesday and could be flexible with time. Then no response. What do I do now? Text again? Email?

I am leaning toward sending an email. I had not been in contact with this POI before the app was due, because UCI (Developmental Psych program) does not follow a strict 1:1 mentorship model, so when you apply, you are not applying to work with someone specific. I did, however, mention this POI in my SoP because they said in the application that you can mention someone if you want.

Also, yes, I did check the number, and it is a CT number, which could make sense as she completed her PhD at Yale. I couldn't find anything specifically linking that number to her, but she addressed me by name and said, "this is [POI full name] from UCI"

19 minutes ago, DevSci said:

Okay, question for you all -- on Monday night, I got a text (yes, you read that right, a TEXT) from a POI at UC-Irvine asking if I had time for a call that night or the next day. UCI is PT, but I am ET, so when I got the text, it was already 9:30 pm my time (6:30 pm PT), so I was turning in for the night. I responded saying that I was available on Tuesday and could be flexible with time. Then no response. What do I do now? Text again? Email?

I personally would probably text. The fact that she chose to text suggests to me that she doesn't rely on email and may not be responsive if you go that route. Obviously, texting is kind of weird and informal, but I mean...she started it... 

However, I have no expertise at all and also agree that this is a super weird situation. 

39 minutes ago, DevSci said:

I am leaning toward sending an email. I had not been in contact with this POI before the app was due, because UCI (Developmental Psych program) does not follow a strict 1:1 mentorship model, so when you apply, you are not applying to work with someone specific. I did, however, mention this POI in my SoP because they said in the application that you can mention someone if you want.

Also, yes, I did check the number, and it is a CT number, which could make sense as she completed her PhD at Yale. I couldn't find anything specifically linking that number to her, but she addressed me by name and said, "this is [POI full name] from UCI"

UPDATE: I just got a call from UCI -- they explained the situation and invited me to the interview on Jan 13-14. Never mind! Thank you for your thoughts, @buckeyepsych!

1 hour ago, kwilson28 said:

I got an email this morning saying I wasn’t being considered for their Clinical program but that I wouldn’t get an official rejection for a few months. Bummer but it’s only one out of the 14 I applied to so still hopeful. 

Wait I did not receive an email for rejection or invitation?? Should I email them? I assumed I would be rejected since I didn’t receive the mass invite email but I didn’t receive the rejection one either? I’m sure it’s coming lol

Just over here quietly freaking out about you awesome peeps and your UCI interviews... (stares at phone, checks email). UCI is one of my top two choices (stares at phone and checks email again 'cos at least 3 seconds have passed)...

7 minutes ago, olddognewtricks said:

Just over here quietly freaking out about you awesome peeps and your UCI interviews... (stares at phone, checks email). UCI is one of my top two choices (stares at phone and checks email again 'cos at least 3 seconds have passed)...

Same over here frantically refreshing because none of my schools have been mentioned yet 

For those that heard from U of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), who was your PI and do you know if they offered all of there in-person interviews or if they were just conducting some preliminary phone interviews for certain PIs?  Thanks!

(me checking my email every time I see results for my schools)

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, olddognewtricks said:

I'm sure it highly depends on the program to which you applied. The Developmental Psych professor who called me said they had a list of students and they had ~5 faculty who were each assigned to a subset of that list. I am not sure if that's how they do it across programs!

3 hours ago, kwilson28 said:

I didn’t get an interview invite or a rejection email my portal still says decion pending, should I stay a little hopeful ?

How many times do you need to check your email/ this forum before it qualifies as obsessive? Asking for a friend.

I applied to GW, UMD, Catholic, and Uniformed Services University, and haven't seen posts about any of them... apps were only due 11/30 and 12/1, but still wondering WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD BACK?! ?

2 hours ago, mwood126 said:

For those that heard from U of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), who was your PI and do you know if they offered all of there in-person interviews or if they were just conducting some preliminary phone interviews for certain PIs?  Thanks!

I was one of these people - I just had my phone interview! I've DMed you my PI and as far as I know it was just a prelim phone interview with a graduate student - we chatted about the program, she asked me about my research interests and what I want out of a clinical psych degree, and I asked her lots of questions about the program. 

27 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

How many times do you need to check your email/ this forum before it qualifies as obsessive? Asking for a friend.

I applied to GW, UMD, Catholic, and Uniformed Services University, and haven't seen posts about any of them... apps were only due 11/30 and 12/1, but still wondering WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD BACK?! ?

All of these programs are extremely competitive (300-400+ applicants), and they do not send invites until January :) I applied to several of the ones you mentioned. Good luck!

So jealous that people are starting to hear back.... I'm sitting here refreshing my email feeling more nervous every day. Luckily I haven't really seen anyone at the schools I've applied to get interviews yet (except LSU- but that seems like a current student in the lab reached out to them). :/ I'm trying to stay distracted but it's really hard

So I was anxious and decided to do a mass email to be POIs I reached out to over the summer/early fall about my status, here are my mix of results 

Stanford: “We should be done reviewing by mid-January”

NYU: “We are in the middle of reviewing applicants, youll have an update ‘soon’ “

Minnesota: “The applications have filtered our way to us faculty, I will be reviewing them soon. best of luck!” (Glad to know I made the filter haha)

Yale: “Thanks for the update! You’ll hear from me soon”

Michigan: “Expect to hear from me by the end of the week” 

UCSD: “Don’t worry, the other UCs are much faster than us (I referenced how other UCs are sending invites already)”