Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

31 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Well no interview invites yet, BUT I did just get a job offer to work full-time in a new lab :) salary and benefits! Yay for a backup plan!

Could I ask how you found a full time position? I have been trying to find RA jobs/coordinator jobs and haven't had much luck. Not sure if it's how I'm looking or the area I am in!

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

Could I ask how you found a full time position? I have been trying to find RA jobs/coordinator jobs and haven't had much luck. Not sure if it's how I'm looking or the area I am in!

I had a close relationship with the lab from my undergraduate internship. Also, since you're interested in clinical I would recommend looking at hospital job websites. For instance, I am currently working in a clinical psychology lab for tobacco cessation interventions for disadvantaged populations. I found this position through my state's cancer center/university associated hospital. Worth a shot if you have anything similar nearby you.

13 minutes ago, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Anyone applying to George Mason- do you see this in your self-service? "Admissions Initial Processing Completed (AIPC) not received."

Just want to make sure this is not something I should have done!

I applied to a different program there and it's something main office had to do! it'll eventually get resolved once they go through the initial processing in the graduate admin office before shipping off to the dept. 

47 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Another place you could try is just Indeed.com

I searched "neuroscience research" and "psychology research" etc in the search bar and found about 40 labs to apply to that I liked, and that's how I got my current full time position.

Best of luck!

11 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

My inbox is Sahara dry... *sigh*

I know it's hard, but everyone needs to try to take a deep breath, go do something fun, and enjoy the holidays. Some programs, such as the program I attend, will not even begin reviewing applications until after the fall semester is over, meaning that the faculty will meet and extend invites to the applicant pool sometime early to mid-January. It's still a few weeks of waiting, but checking your email or worrying if you have not heard anything that you are not getting interviews is counter-productive. 

I was there two years ago, though, so I get it! I am rooting for all of you. :)

1 minute ago, Clinapp2017 said:

I know it's hard, but everyone needs to try to take a deep breath, go do something fun, and enjoy the holidays.

Oh I'm at my lab, trying to keep busy, LOL. Half of the programs I'm applying to send invites prior to X-MAS, so there's a reason for my compulsiveness haha

1 hour ago, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Anyone applying to George Mason- do you see this in your self-service? "Admissions Initial Processing Completed (AIPC) not received."

Mine says received, but I am applying to the Applied Developmental Track -- not sure if it would be different though.

1 hour ago, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Yes, that shows up in my checklist too. I had emailed admissions about that and something else, and they didnt specifically say anything about it so I imagine it is an internal administrative thing.  

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

I don't know if other people have said this already, but you could also check the job listings for specific universities or institutions, since postings are usually listed there before anywhere else (like Indeed or another job searching engine).  I work at a medical center affiliated with an ivy league and applied to ~20 "Research assistant" postings before I heard back from one and was offered my current position. 

Well, after a few years of lurking various Grad Cafe threads, I figured my third application cycle (fall '16, fall '17, fall '19) would be a good time to actually start posting things! 

Three out of my five applications are not even due until mid-January (hooray ??), so I guess I will live vicariously through all of you who are getting invites now ?

Wow, it would have been nice to know that there was a huge group of people talking about the application process before the initial stage was over. haha
I'm anxiously awaiting interview offers and stumbled upon this page. 
I applied to 10 programs, mostly clinical but a few counseling. Working with a 3.777 GPA and  166V, 155Q, 5.5A for the GRE.
I've been working for the past year and a half since graduation in a counseling-esque position with marginalized populations. Two years in a research lab, independent research that I conducted purely because I saw a need in the population that I work with, and I now do some research dissemination with the Department of Ed in my state. I've presented quite a bit at conferences, but no journal publications. I also have experience in clinical settings. I'm partially banking on how well my experience and research interests align with the faculty I'm hoping to work with.
I know UCSB should be releasing their interview invites soon, and they were one of the schools that I applied to, so here's hoping! 
Looking forward to following everyone's progress. ?