Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Just now, MSWgoals said:

I'm wondering the same thing for the 2-year program! It still says "under consideration" I'd rather they stated "rejected" just so I have an answer haha 

Agreed lol. The odd thing is, mine just states “No Decision Yet”. My friends has “No Decision Yet - Under Consideration” I wonder if there’s a difference. I am scared haha. 

3 minutes ago, Socwrk2 said:

I could not agree more. I applied for the 2 year program last year and they did not tell me I got rejected (aka it continued to say 'under consideration') until July which is real late. 

2 minutes ago, JosephineJ said:

Agreed lol. The odd thing is, mine just states “No Decision Yet”. My friends has “No Decision Yet - Under Consideration” I wonder if there’s a difference. I am scared haha. 

Oh man! This is so intense lol now I'm lowkey freaked out about the differences hahaha. Prayers for us alllll who are in this boat! xo 

Does York waitlist for the 2-year program?

4 minutes ago, JosephineJ said:

That is odd ..Mine says the whole 'No Decision Yet - Currently Under Consideration'. Who knows if it actually means anything. All I know is that York sends out admissions on a rolling basis once they've sent out their first wave of acceptances

17 minutes ago, Socwrk2 said:

Has anyone actually received a rejection from York yet (from the 1 year advanced standing program)? It sounds like all those who aren't admitted are still "under consideration". I just want to know ..

I also haven't heard of anyone being rejected from York's Advanced Standing MSW. Many of my classmates are "under consideration" as well. I know that those who got accepted had until March 28 to decline or accept the offer. From then the department said they were going to re-evaluate the application pool. 

Maybe if you call the School of Social Work they can better explain how they're giving out acceptances. Pam is always helpful :)

All the best to those waiting! 

1 minute ago, Giantoreo said:

I just called York. They said all the acceptances were given out yesterday. They're seeing if any of the applicants with the acceptances are accepting it first, then they'll update those with "under consideration" status by accepting or waitlisting them. 

Thank you for the update. I am wondering if it is the same for the one year advanced standing. 

On 2/26/2019 at 6:20 PM, SuzyH said:

I found out I was accepted to Laurier through Loris before the e-mail went out, if that helps at all. I am still waiting to hear from Waterloo. Positive vibes to all!

thank you that is valuable information!

Hi folks! Congrats to those who have heard from Laurier! And to everyone else who has been accepted to other universities.

Has anyone heard from Laurier for the 2.5 year online part-time program Sept 2019 yet? I have butterflies!

12 minutes ago, Giantoreo said:

I just called York. They said all the acceptances were given out yesterday. They're seeing if any of the applicants with the acceptances are accepting it first, then they'll update those with "under consideration" status by accepting or waitlisting them. 

Thanks! I'm confused though -- did she say how long they have to accept before they send out a new wave? How do they choose who is being accepted or waitlisted? 

13 minutes ago, tpg13 said:

Thanks! I'm confused though -- did she say how long they have to accept before they send out a new wave? How do they choose who is being accepted or waitlisted? 

They have two weeks to decide. I think they review the applicant pool again before deciding 

Okay - for those of us who have received the acceptances we want to receive -- can I ask how everyone is making their decisions? Are you thinking about the city in which you'll have to live? Are you focusing on the reputation of the program? Class sizes, the foundational unpinning of the program? All of the above?

I'm very torn between Laurier and Western, and would love any input on the way you're all making your decisions.

1 hour ago, mswash said:

Okay - for those of us who have received the acceptances we want to receive -- can I ask how everyone is making their decisions? Are you thinking about the city in which you'll have to live? Are you focusing on the reputation of the program? Class sizes, the foundational unpinning of the program? All of the above?

I'm very torn between Laurier and Western, and would love any input on the way you're all making your decisions.

I had to choose between Laurier and Western too! (Advance standing). I originally had my heart set on Western, but then I was offered a significant scholarship from Laurier and went with them.

This is what my thought process was: 

Western: Better location for me because I live in London, better/more local placement options to London, clinical focus which is very important to me, it is a small program which I like, but has higher tuition (about $3,000 more for 1 year) and I wasn’t offered scholarships 

Laurier: An hour commute to campus for me, has a strong reputation, I like that they have their own building instead of being on main campus, has a mix of macro and micro programs but from what I’ve heard their classes are more focused on macro issues/reflexivity, offered me a lot of money

If Western had offered me the funding I personally would have chosen them just based on me being in London and their clinical focus. However I’m happy about Laurier because both are GREAT programs! You can’t go wrong. Are you doing the 2 year route I assume?

On 4/2/2019 at 8:44 AM, f*ckthepatriarchy said:

Hey Sage! I'm a little late to the party as I've been a longtime lurker. But I got into Laurier's 2 year program and I am still in kinda in shock lol. I'd love to join the fb group!

Yes! Please join! 

10 hours ago, the.social.nurse said:

Hi folks! Congrats to those who have heard from Laurier! And to everyone else who has been accepted to other universities.

Has anyone heard from Laurier for the 2.5 year online part-time program Sept 2019 yet? I have butterflies!

I am still waiting to hear from Laurier for the two-year on campus and online program.. is anyone else in the same boat of hearing nothing?

Has anyone received a rejection for either of the Laurier programs yet ?

SO STRESSED with this waiting!

On 4/2/2019 at 5:50 PM, MSWdreams said:

Fair enough! Thanks for your response. I had high hopes for Laurier because the letter said there are only approx. 13 of us on the waitlist. But still nothing :( 

Hi there! For reference - I was waitlisted at Laurier beginning of April last year, and received my acceptance about four weeks later :) There is hope!

On 4/2/2019 at 12:38 PM, MSWgoals said:

Hi all, 

For anyone that has been accepted to the 2 year on campus program at Laurier, do you know what the rough schedule would be like? Would we have class everyday? I am trying to plan out my finances and was considering driving there from Toronto depending on how many times a week I would be on campus...any input would be helpful :) 

Hey! I am only in my first year of the two year program, so can't speak to the whole thing as we are just finishing up term 2/3 for first year. But for the first semester, we had class three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) with packed days, but Mondays and Fridays off. Definitely seems like a dream schedule, and it is helpful because you will need it for the work load! It is a lot but manageable if you put the time into it with the free days you're given. 

Second semester we have had placement from Monday-Wednesday, and classes Thursday and Friday. More physically exhausting for sure.

For our third term placement is now increasing to Monday-Thursday and classes on Fridays. 

For placement, they offer them all around in many different cities so you may be able to get one close to your current home. I know many people who only rented a place from September-December then moved back home once placement started, and only commuted on class days. (I am not one of them so I can't speak to how that is - I personally like being near the campus so I am near both school libraries, the school gym, professors for help, and classmates to study/take a break with). 

Hope that helps :) 

For everyone waiting to hear from York - I was rejected two years in a row and both times they never updated MyFile. It continuously said "under consideration" for months, until I eventually stopped checking (I kept checking for fun after I knew I received my other acceptances). They are not great at letting people down gently!

4 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

For everyone waiting to hear from York - I was rejected two years in a row and both times they never updated MyFile. It continuously said "under consideration" for months, until I eventually stopped checking (I kept checking for fun after I knew I received my other acceptances). They are not great at letting people down gently!

Literally the same thing happened to me last year...definitely not great at letting people down gently and keeping people waiting for months 

Still haven't heard from Laurier either! Has anyone gotten the snail mail yet, or the rejection on LORIS? I don't even know where to look on LORIS, could someone give me some direction? 

12 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey! I am only in my first year of the two year program, so can't speak to the whole thing as we are just finishing up term 2/3 for first year. But for the first semester, we had class three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) with packed days, but Mondays and Fridays off. Definitely seems like a dream schedule, and it is helpful because you will need it for the work load! It is a lot but manageable if you put the time into it with the free days you're given. 

Second semester we have had placement from Monday-Wednesday, and classes Thursday and Friday. More physically exhausting for sure.

For our third term placement is now increasing to Monday-Thursday and classes on Fridays. 

For placement, they offer them all around in many different cities so you may be able to get one close to your current home. I know many people who only rented a place from September-December then moved back home once placement started, and only commuted on class days. (I am not one of them so I can't speak to how that is - I personally like being near the campus so I am near both school libraries, the school gym, professors for help, and classmates to study/take a break with). 

Hi Nicole!

Thanks so much for sharing some information about your schedule for the first few semesters of the MSW program at Laurier.  How are you enjoying the program so far? Do you have any others tips or words of wisdom for those of us who are just starting the program? I was also wondering if you found that you were able to buy used textbooks and what the approximate cost was for textbooks during your first two terms?
 I am starting this September and am really looking forward to it!!

Thanks in advance!
Jessica

12 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

22 minutes ago, Jessica_11 said:

Hi Nicole!

Thanks so much for sharing some information about your schedule for the first few semesters of the MSW program at Laurier.  How are you enjoying the program so far? Do you have any others tips or words of wisdom for those of us who are just starting the program? I was also wondering if you found that you were able to buy used textbooks and what the approximate cost was for textbooks during your first two terms?
 I am starting this September and am really looking forward to it!!

Thanks in advance!
Jessica

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question, I really appreciate it :) I am so conflicted about moving out vs. driving down to Kitchener haha. Your reply was very helpful!!! I also just wanted to know what course load looks like for the first semester. How long are those days from tuesday- thursday? (Like a 9-5?) Many thanks Nicole!