officially got the long-expected uchicago rejection! (and maph referral...yeah, thanks SO much, guys!) kind of a relief to finally be able to cross it off after the endless limbo.

Also rejected from Chicago, also referred to the MAPH, which like...nah. The email was nicely flattering though I guess.

kind of appreciate that the MAPH email is the only grad-school related email I've received in this process that got filtered into my spam folder, feels right! we are all that poor disappointed lab today.

2 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

I weirdly have not received a Chicago rejection yet, which I hope is because they read my application enough to know I already have an MA and don't want MAPH.

last year i didn't get referred and i felt like scum, so it'd be nice if i'm going to be rejected again that they then at least refer me. that way i can feel like i've leveled up in their eyes ?

2 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

last year i didn't get referred and i felt like scum, so it'd be nice if i'm going to be rejected again that they then at least refer me. that way i can feel like i've leveled up in their eyes ?

I hope you do then!!

4 minutes ago, reluctanthuman said:

@placeinspace oh thanks! Just checked the portal and there it was, sweet sweet rejection. (By the way, they don't even sound kind like the way other rejection letters do, it's just a "yeah we don't want you" letter...)

I was prepared so it wasn't too bad for me. I'm honestly just waiting for my Davis rejection letter, which are notorious for being brutal (aka "you just weren't competitive enough"). Like, thank you, I know that, you don't need to tell me!!

uchicago rejection officially means i'll be moving away from chicago in the fall - and away from my fiancee and our home and pets, because it's not the right time for her to leave her job and we've got a mortgage to pay in chicago (we bought a home just a few months before we decided i should apply to grad school, so that's been...interesting). she's amazingly supportive given the circumstances but man, the whole situation is starting to feel a lot worse now that my local schools are both rejections. anybody else grappling with any tough situations around grad school and partners/families? uchicago wasn't a good fit for me at all so it was a lot easier to immediately wave off than northwestern when the email came through, but it's hitting a little harder as it sinks in. this whole process is, generously, exhausting. ugh.

8 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

uchicago rejection officially means i'll be moving away from chicago in the fall - and away from my fiancee and our home and pets, because it's not the right time for her to leave her job and we've got a mortgage to pay in chicago (we bought a home just a few months before we decided i should apply to grad school, so that's been...interesting). she's amazingly supportive given the circumstances but man, the whole situation is starting to feel a lot worse now that my local schools are both rejections. anybody else grappling with any tough situations around grad school and partners/families? uchicago wasn't a good fit for me at all so it was a lot easier to immediately wave off than northwestern when the email came through, but it's hitting a little harder as it sinks in. this whole process is, generously, exhausting. ugh.

That's really rough. I mean you will get through it of course and all that. But it's tough to have that conflicted excitement about starting your PhD and the coupled disappointment of leaving that space behind. You will be refreshed soon. We all just need official news and then a vacation from waiting/deciding.

I am going through a similar situation potentially.

14 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

3 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

That's really rough. I mean you will get through it of course and all that. But it's tough to have that conflicted excitement about starting your PhD and the coupled disappointment of leaving that space behind. You will be refreshed soon. We all just need official news and then a vacation from waiting/deciding.

I am going through a similar situation potentially.

Same here. My SO is a medical student in Houston, so getting off of Rice's waitlist and being able to live in the same city for 3 years would be really wonderful — but I'm also facing the reality that all of the other schools on my list have far better placement rates, and a few of them are better fits for me. Part of me hopes that every other place will reject me so that I don't have to be responsible for the decision to move away. But of course I also really, really want to do my research at Stanford (et al)

thanks for the kind words and the sense of solidarity, @Matthew3957 and @dilby - the most bearable part of this process is that we're all in it together, in one way or another, and it's helpful to hear from others looking at a similar situation. it's just that complicated blend of excitement and then the rest: the guilt of likely moving away and the sadness of it too... but i think you're right, @Matthew3957, that we just need to get through this part of it! i assume everything will be easier once all decisions are in and we can take a break, recharge, and then actually start thinking about what will really happen rather than worrying about everything that might happen. i hope everything works out the very best for both of you too!

@amphilanthus love those sentiments. This purgatory feels SO precarious--everytime I try to get zen and let the chaos take a backseat, some email or phone call explodes the calm. Making these decisions seems impossible; mainly, the part where you have to inevitably say 'no' to something. and the part where you have to totally upheave life-as-you-know-it to take the next step--whatever that ends up being. Jeeeeshhhhhh

also.....i can't help but fall in love with the people at every program......or...i can't help comparing the ''friendliness'' of their respective emails to each other, then feeling biased toward those that are "friendlier"......objectivity must rule the day in this, but i'm such a "feelings" kinda folk...

Has anyone else literally heard nothing from the schools they applied to?  Although a few of my schools have started notifying, it's complete radio silence on my end.  I just want the silence to be broken so I can breathe!

2 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Has anyone else literally heard nothing from the schools they applied to?  Although a few of my schools have started notifying, it's complete radio silence on my end.  I just want the silence to be broken so I can breathe!

Same! None of my schools have started notifying, no interview requests, zip. I was starting to think I'd done something wrong even though I know it's pure coincidence! 

Just got the email that my daughter was accepted to University of Illinois Ischool. 

It is exciting because it looks like such an amazing program, but really expensive. 

I’m still hoping for a fully-funded PhD program because we have another daughter finishing her undergrad degree and 2 more still at home so it would be great to have a little break from tuition. 

In the end, she would like to get both an English PhD and a Library Information masters, so this is great news and in the end, all of her options are good ones. 

14 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

12 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Same! None of my schools have started notifying, no interview requests, zip. I was starting to think I'd done something wrong even though I know it's pure coincidence! 

Three of my programs haven't said a peep either. My #1 had a late deadline (january 15) so I'm expecting a later notification and my heart may give out.