2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

Anyone waiting for decisions from Notre Dame? They gave out a few accepts and waitlists weeks ago according to the results page and then nothing...I don’t know how I should interpret this. Is it likely that they are doing a second wave kind of thing or the rest who haven’t heard back are just rejects...

So just out of curiosity, how professional should I dress for a visitation weekend? I'm going to UC Boulder's visit next week and don't really know the formalities, what to pack, etc. Some insight would be most appreciative. 

14 minutes ago, ijustwantin said:

So just out of curiosity, how professional should I dress for a visitation weekend? I'm going to UC Boulder's visit next week and don't really know the formalities, what to pack, etc. Some insight would be most appreciative. 

I would say probably business casual. Academia is not like industry, people don't expect a very high level of dress. For men that usually means a tie, button down, and khakis. For women, whatever the equivalent of that is (sorry for the vagueness, I have no experience dressing myself as a woman, LOL). Full suits are too much, I think, but it's probably (slightly) better to be overdressed than under if you're worried.

29 minutes ago, ijustwantin said:

10 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

I would say probably business casual. Academia is not like industry, people don't expect a very high level of dress. For men that usually means a tie, button down, and khakis. For women, whatever the equivalent of that is (sorry for the vagueness, I have no experience dressing myself as a woman, LOL). Full suits are too much, I think, but it's probably (slightly) better to be overdressed than under if you're worried.

You definitely don't need to wear a tie as a man, based on the visit I've done. People were in everything from jeans and a polo to khakis and a button down/blazer. None of it really seemed out of place.

11 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

Thank you! I just know it'll be blooming cold so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself. 

5 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

Don't worry, the boundary of what "business casual" for women is also really confusing for women and I'm convinced is partly just based on accessories and cardigans and clothing cuts. 

I'm going with a nice (clean, no rips) pair of skinny jeans, tops that would be acceptable in a conservative business (the kind where if worn with a pantsuit in a pantsuit-requiring-office it'd be okay), booties with a 1 inch fat heel, and a cardigan. 

Just now, eggsalad14 said:

Don't worry, the boundary of what "business casual" for women is also really confusing for women and I'm convinced is partly just based on accessories and cardigans and clothing cuts. 

I'm going with a nice (clean, no rips) pair of skinny jeans, tops that would be acceptable in a conservative business (the kind where if worn with a pantsuit in a pantsuit-requiring-office it'd be okay), booties with a 1 inch fat heel, and a cardigan. 

Perfect because that's what I was thinking.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, ijustwantin said:

I'm also a Boulder admit for IR! What subfield?

I assume, like the others, that the dress expectation is business casual, but I am going to touch base with the graduate admissions coordinator today to confirm.

Edited by StormingTheCastle

1 hour ago, ijustwantin said:

17 minutes ago, StormingTheCastle said:

I'm also a Boulder admit! What subfield?

I assume, like the others, that the dress expectation is business casual, but I am going to touch base with the graduate admissions coordinator today to confirm.

Nothing to add on clothes, but another Boulder (theory) admit here going to the recruitment event! 

2 hours ago, ijustwantin said:

I've got an invitation for Arizona State's visitation day in three weeks. They said in the email to were business casual. Button-up or blouse and slacks or khakis would be perfectly acceptable and no tie or jacket needed.

2 hours ago, as2472 said:

Nothing to add on clothes, but another Boulder (theory) admit here going to the recruitment event! 

2 hours ago, StormingTheCastle said:

I'm also a Boulder admit for IR! What subfield?

I'm American

22 minutes ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

You'd think I've been around the internet enough to recognize that url from mousing over it but noooooo.

?

But yeah I definitely thought we were going to get something this week from Columbia or Harvard. I guess there is hope yet

18 minutes ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

I see a lot of people here email or call schools to ask for status updates. Who do you email and what do you ask them?

I've always had success emailing the grad coordinator, they are usually one of the non-professor staff members within the department. 

As for what to ask them, I have usually said something along these lines of asking if there is any update on your application. Obviously these emails should be written respectfully and all that stuff. 

If that doesn't work then maybe reach out to the Director of Graduate Studies for that specific department, I would generally ask the same thing to them as well. 

14 minutes ago, DuBois said:

I feel like a fool getting all rejections and waiting for Yale decisions. 

I knw what you mean... all schools that I had chances of getting in have rejected me... waiting on Harvard and UPenn makes no sense, yet there is no closure until they send out their decisions...

25 minutes ago, HanZero said:

I knw what you mean... all schools that I had chances of getting in have rejected me... waiting on Harvard and UPenn makes no sense, yet there is no closure until they send out their decisions...

Have you heard from UVA, thought you applied there?