2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

8 minutes ago, upsy said:

Ditto, for me Chicago came out almost 3 weeks ago.

well, that answers that -_(o.o)_- Didn't really expect an acceptance from them. My portal just says "submitted."

Edited by thephaeron
added information

41 minutes ago, upsy said:

TY! And, nope, a member of the admissions committee. 

This cycle's over for me then! Best of luck to all still waiting. 

Interesting that it wasn't a POI... person must have been very interested in your work. Congratulations and farewell from this godforsaken website, may our paths cross again in Valhalla. 

3 minutes ago, GiornoGiovanna said:

should we assume at this point Columbia has basically released all its acceptance and the rest of us are just doomed. 

I’d like to be more optimistic, but I think this is correct. I’m assuming Columbia is a rejection for me 

5 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I got a call from a Cambridge, MA number but could not catch it. The last time this happened, it was the utility companies or telemarketers... So I will wait my official rejection e-mail

Call it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

It is a telemarketer... I called it back... Sad :( 

Since it's a telemarketer and they're now officially trolling you I think it's only fair that you should start ringing them up all hours of the day and try to sell them on your prospective dissertation. Gotta fund grad school somehow.

Just now, usmeme said:

Just wondering how Harvard would notify acceptance to the international applicants.

I did see someone received an email from the Harvard on the results page. Can anyone who received the phone call confirm this?

TY!

Oh, my bad, that was me... I got a phone call but I just picked the wrong option. Sorry about that

1 minute ago, brownie_z said:

Just checking.. to the people who posted about their harvard admission--it's for the PhD in Government (as opposed to the PEG one), right?

Congrats to all!! 

Yes—I figured it would be more useful to people scrolling through political science results rather than putting it under government. 

8 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

I guess that's a rejection for me -- hope to get the rejection email soon. I went to check the "application proof" but it doesn't seem like I left my phone number :(

They might be spreading things out over a couple days, so I wouldn’t lose hope yet.  Calling each admit personally takes time.  They said the emails will go out within the next couple days. 

4 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

They might be spreading things out over a couple days, so I wouldn’t lose hope yet.  Calling each admit personally takes time.  They said the emails will go out within the next couple days. 

Thank you!! Best of luck making that very difficult decision come April 15th!

30 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

Yes—I figured it would be more useful to people scrolling through political science results rather than putting it under government. 

Totally! I assume it's a rejection for me. But I will be looking out for some official rejection before I make my decision. It's such a tough choice, especially when all the programs I got admitted to are perfect fits. 

Congrats again to the harvard admits! Good luck to everyone still waiting on offers.

8 hours ago, I.Macks said:

Damn right, I emailed the grad enrollment officer I talked to at Pitt when I applied, I'll comment what he says. Apparently, some applicants didn't hear back from Pitt until Mid-March for acceptances/rejections, so yeah it's nerve season for sure.

Ouch, that seems risky from a retention point. I can see the benefits from potential gaining students who were rejected from top tier programs, but they risk competing against other mid-tier programs that will already have had a chance to "court" candidates. Well good luck to those still awaiting. 

Good morning amazing people, and congratulations to all who have been accepted!

I would address a question to the experienced applicants: would it make sense to reach out to one of the departments where things may not have been decided, and confirm that they're my top choice for very valid reasons? I heard that it may have a positive effect on one's standing on the unofficial wait lists. 

I feel like it's an utterly desperate step (it is), but I also feel like I have almost nothing to lose at this point.