16 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

It sounds like such a great program! Who did you apply to work with?

Sorry, I didn't see this part of your post until now! I applied to work with Dr. Scalora in the clinical psyc/law concentration. It's my top choice because my dream area of study is targeted violence and threat assessment, so the research fit is perfect. Who did you apply to?

54 minutes ago, mtoad527 said:

Experienced the same thing here w/ my UNL Clinical app. I got an e-mail the day before yesterday saying there was an update in the status of my application. I checked my application portal and it said my application status was "Reviewed." Yesterday, I got another e-mail of the same kind saying that my application went back "Under review." ? Trying to remain calm.

Ok everyone saying this is making me feel much more calm. Thank you guys! ?

This is a google doc of some compiled interview/acceptance/rejection data, all in one place. Feel free to add your own data or to just stalk like me ;) 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/edit?usp=sharing

Just now, imonfire98 said:

congrats!

Thank you so much! I was an interview alternate at this program last year so I am very excited to be invited to interview this year!

7 minutes ago, El_Gaucho said:

Thoughts about emailing the PI after a good phone interview and subsequent in person rejection?

Was this a dream school for you? Would you try applying for this POI again next application round?
If no, I'd say take the loss and not message them (Unless you're really wanting closure/feedback). I personally wouldn't :(

Sort of off topic, but how many of you have research experience directly related to the labs you applied to? I am having trouble finding research positions that are in the field I'm passionate about, but have heard that it's mostly just important to demonstrate your ability to engage in the process in general. Thoughts on this? 

Really hoping to beef up my credentials for next year!

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Sort of off topic, but how many of you have research experience directly related to the labs you applied to? I am having trouble finding research positions that are in the field I'm passionate about, but have heard that it's mostly just important to demonstrate your ability to engage in the process in general. Thoughts on this? 

I've tried to find experiences as related to what I want to study as possible, but as you say, it's not always an easy task to find something in your intended field. Myself, I hope to eventually do research in juvenile justice and child trauma, so I've pursued research in child protection, victim services, and criminology. I couldn't find experiences directly in juvenile justice in my geographical area so I found related paths and pursued the opportunities available to me. My mentor from an R1 school told me the most important thing is that you've had experience engaging in multiple aspects of the research process (i.e. not just data entry, also analysis, literature review, data collection, etc.) and that your experience was somewhere with a good reputation, whether that's a university, a lab, an organization, or just an individual mentor, they should publish quality research. Having publications or conference presentations is a great way to demonstrate your ability as well, so look out for those kinds of opportunities in preparing for the next cycle as well. Best wishes in your application process! :) 

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

What area specifically are you hoping to study? Some populations are harder to get access to, especially without a graduate degree as I'm sure we have all found. I've found it helpful to get experience in things close to what I'm interested in, which has slowly gotten me into the positions I actually wanted. For example, if you're interested in neuropsych or something, maybe get experience in a cognitive lab. Or if you're interested in working with families, maybe work with in a lab that focuses on development or vice versa. 

All that being said, I think (depending on the type of program you're applying to), most PIs are aware that it's hard to find a lab nearby that focuses on exactly your interests, and that it's even harder to get into some of those labs. I think the most important thing is being able to relate the experiences you have with what you want to do, should you be invited into their lab. My mentors really emphasized that if you can explain how your interests have grown and how you've gained things from less than relevant research, then PIs will still be impressed.  

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

I applied primarily for clinical psych programs with neuropsychology tracks and I'm in a neuropsych lab right now! I'm also working with the same population/using similar methods that I applied for. Willing to DM about this! 

3 hours ago, spookycat said:

What area specifically are you hoping to study? Some populations are harder to get access to, especially without a graduate degree as I'm sure we have all found. I've found it helpful to get experience in things close to what I'm interested in, which has slowly gotten me into the positions I actually wanted. For example, if you're interested in neuropsych or something, maybe get experience in a cognitive lab. Or if you're interested in working with families, maybe work with in a lab that focuses on development or vice versa. 

All that being said, I think (depending on the type of program you're applying to), most PIs are aware that it's hard to find a lab nearby that focuses on exactly your interests, and that it's even harder to get into some of those labs. I think the most important thing is being able to relate the experiences you have with what you want to do, should you be invited into their lab. My mentors really emphasized that if you can explain how your interests have grown and how you've gained things from less than relevant research, then PIs will still be impressed.  

I'm interested in infant mental health/attachment/maternal risk factors. I actually have clinical experience and a master's in clinical psychology, but my research experience is lackluster (only a year, although it was fairly intensive). It's tough to find labs focusing on this! I am putting out feelers for any type of lab that can provide well-rounded responsibilities. This is super helpful, thank you. 

@hopefulgrad2019 @mwood126 thanks for your input as well! It's good to know where other applicants are coming from and their backgrounds. 

7 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'm interested in infant mental health/attachment/maternal risk factors. I actually have clinical experience and a master's in clinical psychology, but my research experience is lackluster (only a year, although it was fairly intensive). It's tough to find labs focusing on this! I am putting out feelers for any type of lab that can provide well-rounded responsibilities. 

I would strongly suggest trying indeed.com. Look for the keywords "psychology research" or "child psychology research" or anything you think might populate opportunities, and don't limit your search to locations. This is how I found my current position in a highly competitive academic/clinical research based center, coordinating a RCT with a prominent PI in my field who's an expert with the clinical population I'd like to work with/my POIs have experience working with. 

Edited by checkingmyemail