14 hours ago, psychhealth101 said:

What do you all recommend wearing for socials/dinners with grad students the night before interview day (for men and women)? For those that have already attended interviews, what did most people wear to the socials? Thanks!

I had 2 interviews last weekend on the east coast (so it was cold), and many women were wearing dark/black jeans with boots or flats and a sweater or nice shirt, and men generally had on dark jeans as well with a button-up top and nice shoes. It's not very formal! 

On 1/19/2019 at 7:52 PM, psychhealth101 said:

What do you all recommend wearing for socials/dinners with grad students the night before interview day (for men and women)? For those that have already attended interviews, what did most people wear to the socials? Thanks!

At my social dinner, all the grad students wore very casual outfits. And since most interviewees just got off from their flights, most wore comfy clothes (jeans and sweaters). Just make sure to dress clean or wear a nice top if you want to. Hope this helps!

On 1/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, psychhealth101 said:

Mine was mostly business casual. I am female, and I wore dark jeans, a casual/stylish blazer, and flats. A girl next to me wore chinos and a chiffon-ish buttondown top. I believe guys were mostly in buttondowns.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, psychhealth101 said:

not sure how helpful this will be since everyone seemed to wear different outfits but i'll share my experience anyway--

I am a female and I wore a blouse, pencil skirt, tights and heels (definitely felt overdressed but I rather be overdressed than under...I also changed at the airport since I was not sure if I would have time in between my flight and the social and I was originally in comfy clothes). Other female candidates were in sweaters, dress pants, dresses and/or cardigans. Male candidates were in button ups and khakis.

Grad students were mostly dressed down but professional enough that many of them said they came from practicum, so again females were in dresses and cardigans or dress pants and blouses. A few male students were in jeans but also business casual.

14 hours ago, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

Need opinions: Do you think it would be bad to ask how many grad students my POI will be taking during my interview? I'm so curious but not sure if it's a bad question to ask..

I would probably not ask that question--maybe wait for current grad students who you will meet on interview day to divulge that information to you. It's not a bad question to ask, necessarily, but at the end of the day it's not going to help or harm you--you should still focus on giving the best possible impression with or without that information. 

For me, I was curious, but my grad student host ended up just sharing this information with me anyway without me asking.

15 hours ago, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

Need opinions: Do you think it would be bad to ask how many grad students my POI will be taking during my interview? I'm so curious but not sure if it's a bad question to ask..

Echoing my colleagues above ^^, that doesn't help you at all (except peace of mind). So simply, don't ask. 

If the POI offers up this information (as mine did), then great. Otherwise, no need to ask :)

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your insight.

I'm a first time applicant. Does anyone know if interview questions are different for Counseling Psychology or if there are any variations to the questions/experiences? 

Responses and PMs are welcome

56 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time applicant. Does anyone know if interview questions are different for Counseling Psychology or if there are any variations to the questions/experiences? 

It depends on what you mean. Compared to what? If you mean compared to clinical (based off of your profiled programs) counseling psychology programs emphasize multiculturalism and social justice. Prepare yourself to be asked how you feel about those and how you can contribute to them. Other than that the interview questions will be pretty similar among all psychology mediums meaning research interests, why you chose that program, etc. 

20 minutes ago, Keyz said:

It depends on what you mean. Compared to what? If you mean compared to clinical (based off of your profiled programs) counseling psychology programs emphasize multiculturalism and social justice. Prepare yourself to be asked how you feel about those and how you can contribute to them. Other than that the interview questions will be pretty similar among all psychology mediums meaning research interests, why you chose that program, etc. 

I meant compared to clinical and thank you for the input

13 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I meant compared to clinical and thank you for the input

Gotcha, no problem. I would prepare for them the same way just keeping in mind the multiculturalism and social justice aspects. I'm sure you'll do just fine. 

1 hour ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Hi everyone,

Agree with Keyz about being prepared or tie in why multiculturalism and/or social justice is important. Could be asked about certain multicultural, social justice or ethical dilemmas you faced or experiences and how you learned from it, dealt with it, etc. Plus all the standard questions you would be asked at a clinical interview.

14 minutes ago, psych5ever said:

Agree with Keyz about being prepared or tie in why multiculturalism and/or social justice is important. Could be asked about certain multicultural, social justice or ethical dilemmas you faced or experiences and how you learned from it, dealt with it, etc. Plus all the standard questions you would be asked at a clinical interview.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Definitely be prepared to answer the question, "Why Counseling Psychology and not Clinical Psychology?" :)

10 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Definitely be prepared to answer the question, "Why Counseling Psychology and not Clinical Psychology?" :)

Whoa. Hian! Thank you for this.

I have a whole dossier to read on how to answer this question.

Also do you mind if I PM you this weekend to pick your brain on some questions?

On 1/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, Neurophilic said:

Has anyone met one on one with the Clinical Program Coordinator? Can you provide any insight on what to expect? :) 

I have with a few of mine! They asked me generic questions e.g. why this program, how did you hear about us, how do you feel about living in this city, etc. They also offered to answer questions about program logistics (e.g. practical timelines, scholarships, etc). For me, a lot of our time was spent talking about advanced standing since I already have a masters and was applying for programs which would allow me to transfer courses. 

Edited by dancedementia

Does anyone have some insight to give on group interviews? I recall there being one person who gave a really thorough description of theirs, but I was wondering what kinds of questions might be asked? I have my first group interview coming up this weekend and have no idea how to prepare!

9 minutes ago, ilobebrains said:

Does anyone have some insight to give on group interviews? I recall there being one person who gave a really thorough description of theirs, but I was wondering what kinds of questions might be asked? I have my first group interview coming up this weekend and have no idea how to prepare!

I wasn't the person who gave a description, but in mine it was 3 faculty and then interviewees. We were given a topic to discuss- a clinical scenario/ ethical dilemma and asked how we would proceed. It was a round table discussion and actually the least stressful part for me. We all gave our POVs and brought up different questions. The faculty basically just observed, and then gave us an additional prompt to consider. So mine wasn't like let's go down the line and  talk about our individual experiences,  it was more simulating a classroom discussion. Hope that helps!! 

4 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

I wasn't the person who gave a description, but in mine it was 3 faculty and then interviewees. We were given a topic to discuss- a clinical scenario/ ethical dilemma and asked how we would proceed. It was a round table discussion and actually the least stressful part for me. We all gave our POVs and brought up different questions. The faculty basically just observed, and then gave us an additional prompt to consider. So mine wasn't like let's go down the line and  talk about our individual experiences,  it was more simulating a classroom discussion. Hope that helps!! 

Thanks! I hope that's what ours turns out to be! 

Was super nervous for the first 15 minutes of the interview with the PI I applied to, and really said some not ideal things (nothing inappropriate, but responses that were questionable/weak). Any thoughts on whether I should explain myself in the thank-you email? I don't think it was severe, it was just a little awkward. 

All of my other interviews (non-PI faculty, group, grad students) went super well, and I feel like they would relay only good things about me, but the PI I applied to probably has the most weight for decision-making so I keep ruminating about the fumble.