Applications 2019

Sigaba

Just now, hctr11 said:

Hi! Just created an account so I could post. It's been so helpful to read this thread so I feel like I should start contributing! I'm the person who was admitted yesterday. My subfield is more social history of medicine/public health focusing on the Progressive Era, so it sounds a bit different from yours and @spacealienphilosophy. Don't have any more information than that unfortunately, but I'm wishing you both the best! 

Thank you so much for making an account to post, and congratulations on the admission!

1 minute ago, hctr11 said:

Hi! Just created an account so I could post. It's been so helpful to read this thread so I feel like I should start contributing! I'm the person who was admitted yesterday. My subfield is more social history of medicine/public health focusing on the Progressive Era, so it sounds a bit different from yours and @spacealienphilosophy. Don't have any more information than that unfortunately, but I'm wishing you both the best! 

Thank you so much for replying!! And congrats :)

2 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

My adviser was out of town during my campus visit so I'm empathetic to your situation. Set up phone calls/skype convos with them and go in with a list of questions. During the visit, focus on speaking to potential comps/dissertation committee members, the GPC, grad program staff (SUPER important) and as many of your POI's grad students as possible. To be quite honest, it was my adviser's grad students who clinched it for me because they gave insight into her advising style (also super important--what kind of adviser do you want? Someone hands off? Someone who lets you determine how much advising you need? Someone who is all up in your project? Weekly, monthly, quarterly meetings?).  They can also give info on where your POI's past grads landed jobs.

You can totally make an informed decision without meeting your POI in person--other than how you vibe with them. A phone conversation or two will help you determine if the vibe is off.

This is great advice! I plan on trying to make the most of visit when I go there and I thought about trying get into contact with my advisor's grad students. Did you e-mail them outright or did you meet up with them during your visit? 

2 hours ago, sickeagle said:

Congrats on the admits! I got admitted to UO as well, and will be at the campus visit in March, even though I am still waiting to hear back from other programs before I commit. My experience with the department so far has been very warm, so I would say feel free to send them an email with any questions you have.

Congratulations to you as well! I was accepted into the MA program and I know the scheduled campus visit is for Ph.D students. After asking about a campus visit, they offered if I would like to join, but I won't be able to on those dates. I hope to schedule something a little earlier in March. My experience with the department has been the same. They have been extremely helpful so far. 

2 hours ago, andnothing said:

This is great advice! I plan on trying to make the most of visit when I go there and I thought about trying get into contact with my advisor's grad students. Did you e-mail them outright or did you meet up with them during your visit? 

I asked my adviser for names and also met some people who had her on one of their committees but not as major adviser by happenstance. You may be able to figure out who your POIs students are from the department website, too. Another way is contacting the grad coordinator and asking if you can set up any meetings or be put in touch with specific people. My department has current grads take prospective grads out for breakfast to discuss the program one-on-one, so I'm sure other places do something similar.

For Cornell folks: the department just finished its search for two tenure-track Europeanists. The job talks and deliberation seemed to suck most of the faculty's energy. Now that it is over, I imagine they will be sending grad admissions over the next week or so.

5 hours ago, Assotto said:

For Cornell folks: the department just finished its search for two tenure-track Europeanists. The job talks and deliberation seemed to suck most of the faculty's energy. Now that it is over, I imagine they will be sending grad admissions over the next week or so.

???

Thanks for the update! Do you know if they'll just send acceptances out first and then keep the rejected ones waiting til March/April?

29 minutes ago, eks933 said:

Does anyone know if Harvard waitlists have gone out? I've already assumed rejection but still holding on to some hope

I wish they would release the rejections already so that we can accept any offers we might have and open spots up for other people. 

27 minutes ago, mediumatcha said:

I wish they would release the rejections already so that we can accept any offers we might have and open spots up for other people. 

HoS doesn't seem to have sent out the official rejections (maybe not even the acceptances yet), and I also have nothing on the application website. I know they also had two faculty up for tenure this December, so maybe that's why? Or maybe that's wishful thinking, idk.

9 minutes ago, spacealienphilosophy said:

HoS doesn't seem to have sent out the official rejections (maybe not even the acceptances yet), and I also have nothing on the application website. I know they also had two faculty up for tenure this December, so maybe that's why? Or maybe that's wishful thinking, idk.

HoS seems to have a separate process from the history department, so you might be right. I have less hope for myself because there a few acceptances posted for the "regular" history department already. Good luck! 

12 minutes ago, mediumatcha said:

HoS seems to have a separate process from the history department, so you might be right. I have less hope for myself because there a few acceptances posted for the "regular" history department already. Good luck! 

You too, nevertheless! ?

Edited by spacealienphilosophy

5 hours ago, elx said:

???

Thanks for the update! Do you know if they'll just send acceptances out first and then keep the rejected ones waiting til March/April?

You're welcome! The admissions committee did in fact meet yesterday, so I would imagine decisions would be sent out over the next week or so. In recent years, acceptances (usually in the form of a letter from your POI) are sent first followed by rejections a few days later. They do use a waitlist, though I am not sure if they will use one this year. 

Edited by Assotto

1 minute ago, Assotto said:

You're welcome! The admissions committee did in fact meet yesterday, so I would imagine decisions would be sent out over the next week or so. In recent years, acceptances (usually in the form of a letter from your POI) are sent first followed by rejections a few days later. They do use a waitlist, though I am not sure if they will use one this year. 

You're a gift from god, thanks for the info! Let the nail-biting commence.

11 hours ago, Assotto said:

Could you share, if possible, who were the final candidates?

5 minutes ago, jos123 said:

Privacy laws generally prevent that. I can tell you that, at Wisconsin, we're interviewing two Ivy graduates and one comparable public program graduate for our history of technology position. 

6 minutes ago, jos123 said:

This is the kind of question that gets a graduate student on the outside looking in when sensitive conversations are taking place in a department. If job talks are by invitation, it's also the kind of question that sees a graduate student not knowing they're taking place.

5 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

This is the kind of question that gets a graduate student on the outside looking in when sensitive conversations are taking place in a department. If job talks are by invitation, it's also the kind of question that sees a graduate student not knowing they're taking place.

I've been at job talks for a TT position. At many places, these are open and public. The people given them, by necessity, are the final candidates for the TT posotion. If these weren't open, then please do not share the info and forget about my comment. 

1 minute ago, thisisnew said:

Any thoughts on Harvard's art history rejection posts but (at least for me, though I think for others too) radio silence on general history apps? 

To my knowledge, Harvard has already sent out all their acceptances, but not rejections. Not sure about waitlist though.

1 hour ago, jos123 said:

I've been at job talks for a TT position. At many places, these are open and public. The people given them, by necessity, are the final candidates for the TT posotion. If these weren't open, then please do not share the info and forget about my comment. 

The job talks were "open" to you as a member of the university community. Information about them was circulated via email, but I doubt very much that it was ever posted on a public-facing website.

Bear in mind that many who make it to the short list for a tenure-track position would be leaving another job, and across industries, it's generally unwise to advertise to one's existing employer that you're eager to move elsewhere, especially when actually receiving the offer is by no means guaranteed...

36 minutes ago, thisisnew said:

Any thoughts on Harvard's art history rejection posts but (at least for me, though I think for others too) radio silence on general history apps? 

I thought Harvard wanted to have an idea of who is going to accept their offers to help them firm up the depth of the waitlist and ultimately the rejections, but now I'm not so sure. I unfortunately predict it is as simple as they haven't  hit "send" on the rejection email button on their application software