Applications 2019

Sigaba

1 minute ago, eks933 said:

I unfortunately predict it is as simple as they haven't  hit "send" on the rejection email button on their application software

My thoughts as well. At this stage, I'm considering it a presumed rejection

15 minutes ago, eks933 said:

I unfortunately predict it is as simple as they haven't  hit "send" on the rejection email button on their application software

42 minutes ago, Aithera said:

My thoughts as well. At this stage, I'm considering it a presumed rejection

I'm strangely looking forward to my presumed rejections becoming actual rejections. It will be a relief to be able to mentally move on.

8 minutes ago, Balleu said:

I'm strangely looking forward to my presumed rejections becoming actual rejections. It will be a relief to be able to mentally move on.

Same, I just want this whole process to be over! I thought this week would have brought some news but... crickets. I know it's been eventful for a lot of people though!

1 hour ago, PaulaHsiuling said:

The job talks were "open" to you as a member of the university community. Information about them was circulated via email, but I doubt very much that it was ever posted on a public-facing website.

Bear in mind that many who make it to the short list for a tenure-track position would be leaving another job, and across industries, it's generally unwise to advertise to one's existing employer that you're eager to move elsewhere, especially when actually receiving the offer is by no means guaranteed...

Agreed. Don't share the information. 

5 hours ago, Karou said:

Congratulations @hahahahaleigh, looks like you actually got two admits, that's amazing!

No news yesterday, it's almost as if Harvard was trying to prove us all wrong by not releasing rejections on Valentine's day!

Thank you! I heard back about UCSD about 20 minutes after UCI.

1 hour ago, Karou said:

Same, I just want this whole process to be over! I thought this week would have brought some news but... crickets. I know it's been eventful for a lot of people though!

Jepp. Another weekend. I'm not looking forward to this one. By wednesday next week I expect to be sure about implied rejections. 

1 hour ago, Balleu said:

I said it and it became true: got my rejection from Wisconsin today. I can't lie, this one is disappointing. I was really hopeful about my fit with the department and the rapport with my POI during our phone conversations. 

But nothing is guaranteed, and at least it's one step closer to the final outcome for my application cycle, whatever that turns out to be.

In case anyone else is waiting to hear back from UC Santa Barbara, I just sent the grad coordinator an email asking about the status of decisions and received this groan-inducing reply:

"The decision making process is on-going and applicants will get a decision through April. You will be notified through an email that asks you to check your status in the eApp portal."

6 minutes ago, gorgogliante said:

I just got my Harvard rejection. Frankly, I am relieved to know at this point!

5 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Whomp, there it is from Harvard.

Let the red flood begin

Harvard rejection. *phew* Glad to get that one finalized. Here's to Penn State coming through as I am not hopeful for UVA's waitlist or UPenn since they have done a bunch of interviews. Hope everyone had a good week and is able to have a rejuvenating weekend. 

10 minutes ago, Taorluath34 said:

Harvard rejection. *phew* Glad to get that one finalized. Here's to Penn State coming through as I am not hopeful for UVA's waitlist or UPenn since they have done a bunch of interviews. Hope everyone had a good week and is able to have a rejuvenating weekend. 

Did UVA say anything to you about how often people get off the waitlist/odds of acceptance in your waitlist letter?

3 minutes ago, eks933 said:

Did UVA say anything to you about how often people get off the waitlist/odds of acceptance in your waitlist letter?

I apologize- wasn't very clear in my post. I am not on a waitlist. Just saying that I am not hopeful with my chances to get on the waitlist. But that is also me assuming that they haven't waitlisted anyone. If they have, then I will add it to my assumed rejection tally (haha... ha... haaa.... ugh). 

13 hours ago, Nicator said:

Thanks for the heads up - glad to know the wait is nearly over.

You're welcome. We were informed that we'd be receiving the list of admits by the end of next week, which indicates the department plans to finalize the admits by midweek next week.

Prospective students will be visiting campus in mid-March.

Edited by Assotto

10 minutes ago, Historiker said:

Anyone have any advice for what to ask DGS and POIs after acceptance? I already know about funding, structure of the program, and whatnot. Would it be a red flag to them if I don’t have any questions?

Ask to be put in touch with current grad students in your field, because they’ll tell you how the program actually operates. 

Whelp, got the official "LOL NO" from Wisconsin, so it's down to Cornell as my last shot at a PhD program this year.  Cornell is my strongest match and was my strongest application of the group, so we'll see how it plays out.  I feel like it was much improved from last year as well.

/crosses fingers