On 1/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, onerepublic96 said:

Does Irvine always interview?? I’ve had radio silence from them... ?

I can affirm what @thoreaulymodern said and vouch for the DGS. I was contacted for a brief interview by an adcom member. By mid-February, I got the official offer letter.

Following last year's timeline, it's still a little bit early for UCI English. I got my interview notification at 1/31, and did a phone chat the next day.

Edited by ArcaMajora

Does anyone want to claim the single UNC-Chapel Hill rejection on the board? They usually don't notify until a good bit later so I am curious. Is there anyway that it was a Greensboro rejection that was just accidentally entered incorrectly? I know they notified yesterday.

1 hour ago, Dogfish Head said:

Does anyone want to claim the single UNC-Chapel Hill rejection on the board? They usually don't notify until a good bit later so I am curious. Is there anyway that it was a Greensboro rejection that was just accidentally entered incorrectly? I know they notified yesterday.

I would also love to know! I almost had a heart attack when I saw that on the results board. 

10 hours ago, ArcaMajora said:

I can affirm what @thoreaulymodern said and vouch for the DGS. I was contacted for a brief interview by an adcom member. By mid-February, I got the official offer letter.

Following last year's timeline, it's still a little bit early for UCI English. I got my interview notification at 1/31, and did a phone chat the next day.

Ahh that’s somehow both reassuring and anxiety-inducing..

6 minutes ago, Barquentine said:

Where’s this results board?

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

At the top of any page on this site there are tabs called "Browse" "Activity" "Results" and "Leaderboard"

Click on the "Results" tab to find results posted by others. You can even search specifically "English" or "UNC Chapel Hill" to sort through all the results. 

Edited by CanadianEnglish

On 1/24/2020 at 5:00 PM, Indecisive Poet said:

Take it as a strong (although not definite) sign that you will be accepted! Mine with Chicago was a trainwreck and my partner claims his was too (although I don't for a minute believe him). I imagine others who were interviewed feel the way we do, too, so you should feel really great that yours went so well. According to partner's POI, decisions will be out by Wednesday, so I imagine they'll be spending Monday and Tuesday weeding out the mes and writing up funding letters to the yous!

Did the POI seem sure about that decision release date, out of curiosity? It's Wednesday (though only 11 am in Chicago) and I've been refreshing madly all day... 

Would it be really weird if I email Notre Dame asking them if there have been any developments with my application? Cause I haven't gotten a rejection nor an interview, and my anxious brain has somehow convinced itself that they haven't even gotten my application which doesn't make sense, but now I can't stop thinking about it. UGGH.

2 hours ago, NinaM said:

Would it be really weird if I email Notre Dame asking them if there have been any developments with my application? Cause I haven't gotten a rejection nor an interview, and my anxious brain has somehow convinced itself that they haven't even gotten my application which doesn't make sense, but now I can't stop thinking about it. UGGH.

They might have an invisible WL?

Apparently the emails are coming out from Purdue (West Lafayette). One of my colleagues just got in, and I'm so happy for her. I am also terrified that it could mean my application has no hope. 

32 minutes ago, StormChild said:

Apparently the emails are coming out from Purdue (West Lafayette). One of my colleagues just got in, and I'm so happy for her. I am also terrified that it could mean my application has no hope. 

Oh wow, really? Haven't heard anything and legally, mentally, physically and metaphysically I am not letting myself check emails + portal again. Shaking

Long-time lurker--and here's a weird one. Just got an email from the DGS at University of Minnesota-Twin Cities that I'm very high on the waitlist with high odds of acceptance, that they'd love to chat with me about the program, etc... And the DGS also mentions that I should've already gotten the official waitlist email. Thing is... I didn't get an official email from UMinn, and my UMinn portal still says "Submitted - Awaiting Decision". I'm debating what I should do, but thinking I'll probably email back and say thanks, but didn't get an official email, but omg thanks???

Edited by undercaffeinated

26 minutes ago, undercaffeinated said:

I'll probably email back and say thanks, but didn't get an official email, but omg thanks???

This does sound like the reasonable thing to do. Don't forget to ask them to send the official email again!

Edited by EM51413
typo

33 minutes ago, Emailchecker said:

Oh wow, really? Haven't heard anything and legally, mentally, physically and metaphysically I am not letting myself check emails + portal again. Shaking

I feel you. The stress dreams are real. I'm handling it exactly the opposite way, though. I keep refreshing my email and almost crying. 

Here’s a question: for those of you who applied to UW-Madison, did you apply as PHD or MA? I might have made a pretty awful error in submitting my application, and I’m hoping it hasn’t sunk me (because I *still* haven’t heard anything from them). I went hunting for some information, and in their FAQ I noticed a question I didn’t read the answer to previously: 

“Applicants to the Graduate Program in Literary Studies should choose the “English MA” option. You will be given the opportunity to indicate your intent to pursue the PhD in a subsequent question... Applicants to the Composition and Rhetoric and the English Language and Linguistics program should indicate the English PhD.”

So, oops? I’m kicking myself right now. 

1 minute ago, vondafkossum said:

Here’s a question: for those of you who applied to UW-Madison, did you apply as PHD or MA? I might have made a pretty awful error in submitting my application, and I’m hoping it hasn’t sunk me (because I *still* haven’t heard anything from them). I went hunting for some information, and in their FAQ I noticed a question I didn’t read the answer to previously: 

“Applicants to the Graduate Program in Literary Studies should choose the “English MA” option. You will be given the opportunity to indicate your intent to pursue the PhD in a subsequent question... Applicants to the Composition and Rhetoric and the English Language and Linguistics program should indicate the English PhD.”

I applied to the "English MA" option for an eventual PhD in Literary Studies, but I haven't heard anything either. 

2 minutes ago, Barquentine said:

I applied to the "English MA" option for an eventual PhD in Literary Studies, but I haven't heard anything either. 

Sorry that you haven’t heard anything! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. 

Now I feel like I wasted that entire app by carelessly not selecting the correct thing. It’s absolutely my fault, though. I should have just lived in ignorance!

29 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Hey @vondafkossum, I applied to UW Madison for the PhD in Literary Studies and definitely made the same mistake...however, they accepted me last week so I'd say it shouldn't affect your application at all. 

Good luck!