Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Has anybody heard from York advanced standing (one year)? MyFile still says Currently Under Consideration... but it looks like a lot of people have heard from the two-year, so I'm wondering if I've been rejected!

1 hour ago, Katims said:

Has anybody heard from York advanced standing (one year)? MyFile still says Currently Under Consideration... but it looks like a lot of people have heard from the two-year, so I'm wondering if I've been rejected!

So I’m not certain, but from what I’ve read on the forums if you don’t hear from York right away it means you’re waitlisted. Instead of notifying people they are waitlisted,  they keep the applications in a sort of limbo, and if a position becomes available you’ll be offered admission. If not, eventually you‘ll get a rejection. 

It’s a pretty shitty way of doing it in my opinion, and I may be wrong - but that’s what it seems like from here. 

Wooohoooo!! Accepted to Lauriers 2 year MSW Program.
I got my email on the 17th! :)
I am so excited to start, but so curious how the first year is going to be with this whole pandemic situation!
Anyone else get accepted? 
Curious where everyone is coming from!
Congratulations to all!!!! 

Edited by Laurier MSW

1 hour ago, Laurier MSW said:

Wooohoooo!! Accepted to Lauriers 2 year MSW Program.
I got my email on the 17th! :)
I am so excited to start, but so curious how the first year is going to be with this whole pandemic situation!
Anyone else get accepted? 
Curious where everyone is coming from!
Congratulations to all!!!! 

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your experience?? 

Just now, MSW2020lm said:

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your experience?? 

I did 4 years at McMaster in Sociology with an 86% average.
After graduation I worked at a non-profit agency for 3 years.
I had a lot of hands on experience with marginalized youth.
Spent years building relationships to strengthen my references. 
Does this help?? Whats everyone else's experiences!?

5 hours ago, Tahirah said:

Anyone heard back from Laurier for the part-time online program? 

I'm still impatiently waiting too. The website did say May but I'm hoping any day we'll start to hear about the online program.

Hey everyone this is my first post. I just applied for Laurier's online part time for January 2021. Does anyone know that statistics for Laurier's advanced standing part time online program are? Also, I did my bsw at Laurier is it okay that I want to do my masters there too ?

I am also waiting to hear from Laurier online MSW Advanced standing. This will be my third time applying. 

First time - declined - I was fresh out of school so that was expected. 

Second time - Waitlisted - which did not end up moving due to the competitive nature of the program (they informed me that there were over 600 applications and I was 1 of 20 placed on the waitlist) 

Fingers crossed for everyone! 

1 hour ago, ConfusedTherapist said:

Since I've been refreshing the page on the daily (hourly let's be honest) I thought I would drop a post. I am also waiting to hear back from Laurier for their online MSW starting this fall. I also check Loris waaayyyyy to often.  Ugh. 

Hi everyone waiting for the Laurier online program. I actually had to contact Laurier with a question, and they did also confirm that results would be posted in May. I'm not sure if they've ever been early before, but they are still using the May date...at least it's not late? Good luck! (I applied to the PT online MSW)

On 4/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, mystiqueMSW said:

Has anyone who was accepted at UofT (2-year) made their decision about deferring/rejecting their acceptance? :) 

On 4/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, SCCPHopeful said:

Also wondering this!

Was offered admission...still mulling over this very difficult decision :( really not sure given COVID-19 and how FIFSW has said they are anticipating classes being moved to online on their official FAQ page 

11 minutes ago, jmfmsw said:

Hi everyone waiting for the Laurier online program. I actually had to contact Laurier with a question, and they did also confirm that results would be posted in May. I'm not sure if they've ever been early before, but they are still using the May date...at least it's not late? Good luck! (I applied to the PT online MSW)

Good to know. I guess I can dial back the refresh for 9 days....

On 4/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, MSWMissy said:

Thanks so much for your response! I am glad it is not just me. They finally got back to me today and let me know that all training cohorts for April are full. They will open new training in the coming weeks for May. It sounds like they are incredibly busy and there are a ton of applicants, so it may be a pretty slow process. Hopefully we both hear something again soon :)

Hey! Were you able to sign up for a cohort yet? I got accepted to start volunteering!

5 hours ago, Jen1212 said:

Hey everyone this is my first post. I just applied for Laurier's online part time for January 2021. Does anyone know that statistics for Laurier's advanced standing part time online program are? Also, I did my bsw at Laurier is it okay that I want to do my masters there too ?

Welcome! What statistics are you looking for, exactly? 

And there isn't a problem with you doing your masters at the same school. Many people do this. It used to be more "taboo" to get the entirety of your education at one institution as it meant that you did not have a wide range of educational perspectives (for example different schools with different focuses, values, learning objectives), but many MSWs have different lenses, so it really depends on what you're looking to get out of your education. Even if you did your BSW there. I know many folks who have 2-3 degrees all from the same school.