Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

While we're on the subject of work backup plans... does anybody have input on research assistant vs clinical research coordinator jobs? My RA position is quite data focused, which has allowed me to bump up my quant skills and I thought this would be an advantage. However, I'm realizing that maybe I'm lacking in the direct patient-facing work in the clinical realm that a CRC job may offer. Would switching to a CRC job from an RA job provide additional qualifications that schools are looking for?

I also don't know if it would be bad to switch jobs, since I've heard that longevity in one lab is sometimes seen as better than shorter experiences at more labs. I'm entering my third year in my current lab though, and it's tough that my responsibilities extend over such a wide realm of lower level tasks. I can't focus on writing or independent projects as much as I want. I'm also terrified of burning bridges with my current PIs if I decide to start looking for other jobs.

I have an interview next week for an RA position in a nearby lab, in which I would help with recruitment for clinical drug trials. I'm not interested in psychopharmacology (it's the reason I never considered med school), so I'm wondering if a Clinical Psych PI would view experience with med trials differently than a position that is purely academic. The position is at a well-respected institution and receives government funding, so it's not with "big pharma." I know this will vary from person to person, depending on my interests and theirs. Does it even matter? Am I just overthinking this? I don't want to commit to a contracted position that won't provide the professional development I'm looking for.

31 minutes ago, rainbow56 said:

Hope this helps with trying to organize thoughts for your year in between cycles, though I hope it doesn't come to that for you :) Wishing everyone luck! 

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment! :) I was already planning on reaching out to the PI's I had direct contact with, and this has steeled my resolve to do so. It's so hard to network even in the best of times, nevermind COVID, but it's nice seeing it actually work out for somebody.

Quick follow-up Q: what are your thoughts on reaching out to current grad students during the summer or so? I'm afraid this might come across as too random or me trying to "game the system", and they might mention me as a weirdo to the PI. But I know it can be quite informative too.

2 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

That's an interesting theory, I suppose we'd have to try checking back through prior posts. I applied to the clin-neuro track!

Any of the other GSU folks here willing to share which they chose?

I also got the email from admissions today. I applied to the clinical - neuropsych program! 

PI: VD, but I also listed TK in my personal statement and application.

1 hour ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

While we're on the subject of work backup plans... does anybody have input on research assistant vs clinical research coordinator jobs? My RA position is quite data focused, which has allowed me to bump up my quant skills and I thought this would be an advantage. However, I'm realizing that maybe I'm lacking in the direct patient-facing work in the clinical realm that a CRC job may offer. Would switching to a CRC job from an RA job provide additional qualifications that schools are looking for?

I also don't know if it would be bad to switch jobs, since I've heard that longevity in one lab is sometimes seen as better than shorter experiences at more labs. I'm entering my third year in my current lab though, and it's tough that my responsibilities extend over such a wide realm of lower level tasks. I can't focus on writing or independent projects as much as I want. I'm also terrified of burning bridges with my current PIs if I decide to start looking for other jobs.

I’m currently a CRC, and I think you definitely can describe the position as a clinical experience while also being data focused. I’ve met so many wonderful participants and learned a bunch of new software while working on this study!! Honestly a very good gig.

1 hour ago, PsychBear92 said:

I have an interview next week for an RA position in a nearby lab, in which I would help with recruitment for clinical drug trials. I'm not interested in psychopharmacology (it's the reason I never considered med school), so I'm wondering if a Clinical Psych PI would view experience with med trials differently than a position that is purely academic. The position is at a well-respected institution and receives government funding, so it's not with "big pharma." I know this will vary from person to person, depending on my interests and theirs. Does it even matter? Am I just overthinking this? I don't want to commit to a contracted position that won't provide the professional development I'm looking for.

My CRC job deals with psychopharmacology!! I don’t think they view it differently than other RA positions because you still are getting clinical experience. If the position requires you to score different scalar measures I think that’s also an added plus, just because you’ll become more familiar with scales you might have to use in the future. I’ve found it very enriching despite wanting to go into Clinical Psych over Psychiatry.

1 hour ago, PsychBear92 said:

It's still very beneficial. Even though psychologists do not have prescriptive authority outside of a handful of states, they still deal with medications. So many clients will have medication, and some programs have clinical psychopharmacology as a required or elective course. Clients will also turn to psychologists for more information about their meds since they often have more frequent interaction with their therapist than their prescribing provider. So, on top of what @expensiveswimmer said above, this opportunity can be very useful for your future career as well. 

Hi all,

I'm curious. Is anyone else here interested in researching self-harm? And if so, where did you apply? I had a tough time finding a lot of programs to apply to. So, now that I'm sitting, waiting for interviews, I'm wondering more and more about my program fit. 

For those of you who applied to Suffolk and didn't receive an interview invite today, I reached out to admissions and here's what they said:

"At this moment we have sent out our first round of invitations to interview for the program - they went out a little earlier today.  That said, as people get back to us we may be extending a few more offers to interview.  We will also be notifying some students this week or next that we are not going to pursue their candidacy at this time.  

I realize that doesn't give you a lot of information, but you should hopefully have a clearer idea of where you stand by the end of next week."

I know I hate not knowing where I stand, so I hope this is helpful to someone here.

18 minutes ago, RebeccaPsych said:

Hi all,

I'm curious. Is anyone else here interested in researching self-harm? And if so, where did you apply? I had a tough time finding a lot of programs to apply to. So, now that I'm sitting, waiting for interviews, I'm wondering more and more about my program fit. 

Hey there!

I'm interested in researching self-harm and suicide! I will say that it seems like a niche area, but I found quite a few programs and POIs that would support my interests. I'm sure we applied to similar people and universities, and from your list of programs applied to in your signature I would say you chose some great ones. Is this your first round applying? You're welcome to DM me to chat about programs!

7 minutes ago, PsychBear92 said:

Hey there!

I'm interested in researching self-harm and suicide! I will say that it seems like a niche area, but I found quite a few programs and POIs that would support my interests. I'm sure we applied to similar people and universities, and from your list of programs applied to in your signature I would say you chose some great ones. Is this your first round applying? You're welcome to DM me to chat about programs!

Hey! I'm also curious about this - could I dm you?

2 hours ago, PsychBear92 said:

My first "in" to research was a CRC in clinical psychopharmaceutic trials (with big Pharma) and now I currently work as a RA in a university lab with non-clinical trials. I learned a ton in the clinical trial job, but there are some very big differences. For the clinical trials - you have a lot more exposure to different populations. We worked with PTSD, MCI, MDD, Schizophrenia, BD, chronic migraines, etc. basically it was a wider net of exposure than a lab only working on a few studies - likely all with the same population. I also had a wide exposure to different clinical assessments because of this. HOWEVER because clinical trials are super strict with who can do what, I wasn't able to administer 90% of the scales with only a BA and my job was actually to just coordinate who does what when and where.

I also got more experience in different skills (taking blood pressure, blood slides and centrifuging, doing EKGs) but the biggest downside is you collect the data, enter it into their database and never see it again. There is basically no work to be done on creating, managing, cleaning, analyzing a dataset or for any of the other assessments. I also wasn't able to contribute to any posters/papers during this time since big Pharma doesn't let you see the data (understandably?).

All in all, if you are having trouble finding a university RA job I think it would be fine to do, but for me it did feel like a long "intro to research" type of job and I was already several years out of undergrad at that point and didn't want to waste more time. I think they are good jobs and definitely won't HURT your chances but honestly I think my current lab experience heavily outweighs the prior experience. BUT I have friends who worked alongside me in clinical trials who are now in Counseling PhD programs so in any place it depends on the actual lab and what you are willing to get out of it. 

Also this was just my experience and I know other clinical trials are done WITHIN university labs too so this may be different than this job!

Hi all! Thought I'd share the response I received from UCLA re: my Clinical PhD application status:

"Thank you for checking. Currently, applicants being invited to interview are being contacted directly via email. All applicants will receive a decision on their application no later than April 15, 2021."

Hope this helps anyone who has applied to UCLA. I'm hoping interview emails will continue to be sent out throughout the week. 

Sending positive energy to you all! 

1 hour ago, RebeccaPsych said:

Hi all,

Hey there! I see that you've also applied to George Mason, have you heard back from them yet?

And I feel you about program fit, although I'm not researching self-harm, I'd have a tough time finding programs researching resilience. 

3 minutes ago, CoffeeErryday said:

Hey there! I see that you've also applied to George Mason, have you heard back from them yet?

And I feel you about program fit, although I'm not researching self-harm, I'd have a tough time finding programs researching resilience. 

I haven't heard back from George Mason! I did see some interviews go out in the results page, though. 

1 hour ago, JELS said:

Hi all! Thought I'd share the response I received from UCLA re: my Clinical PhD application status:

"Thank you for checking. Currently, applicants being invited to interview are being contacted directly via email. All applicants will receive a decision on their application no later than April 15, 2021."

Hope this helps anyone who has applied to UCLA. I'm hoping interview emails will continue to be sent out throughout the week. 

Sending positive energy to you all! 

out of reacts but thank you!