Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

17 minutes ago, clinical_sike said:

There are really great sample questions in the book “Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology”, and there are also some great articles on the internet with questions you may receive and questions to ask. Here is one:

https://sites.education.uky.edu/motivation/files/2013/09/prinstein-how-to-interview-for-grad-school.pdf

Thank you!!! 

Many of the interview questions I can find on the internet are mostly research/thesis-related. The program I applied to is a non-thesis program so I am not sure what kind of questions I should be expecting... do you have any advice on this too?

4 hours ago, DrApple said:

You could add "I remain very interested in the program and the scholarship opportunities that are available. I was writing to inquire..."

Not sure why @clinical_sike had downvoted this – I personally think it’s a decent addition to the template that @tryingtostaypositive provided.

Edited by JoePianist

1 hour ago, Hopefulapp said:

Has anyone heard from catholic university of America’s clinical psych program? 

I know someone who heard from them last week and got an invite.  DM me for POI!

1 hour ago, Jumbo3 said:

Thank you!!! 

Many of the interview questions I can find on the internet are mostly research/thesis-related. The program I applied to is a non-thesis program so I am not sure what kind of questions I should be expecting... do you have any advice on this too?

As a general recommendation, I like Navigating Academia and Becoming Dr. Baker on YouTube. They both have useful videos about interviews. If you have access to it, the Insider's Guide to Doctorate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology has an incredible amount of information - from full profiles on (all?) schools in the US to an entire chapter on interviews. I found it for free through my university's online library, but it's well worth the $22 on Amazon if you can afford it. 

9 hours ago, Pbigz said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Houston (Counseling Psych)? There is 1 interview listed in results from 11/30. I've called and they say look for a response 6 weeks (minus the 2 week holiday break) after the deadline. Going on what, 10 weeks now?

I heard back on December 1st. Interviews are February 12.

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Harvard's Psychology – Clinical Science department yet regarding interviews?

Also, I have heard of people emailing PIs to ask whether interview invitations have already been extended. I've been considering that option, but don't want to come off as pushy. Any advice? Is this a good idea?

Thank you, and good luck to us all :)

7 minutes ago, psychrenaissance said:

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Harvard's Psychology – Clinical Science department yet regarding interviews?

Also, I have heard of people emailing PIs to ask whether interview invitations have already been extended. I've been considering that option, but don't want to come off as pushy. Any advice? Is this a good idea?

Thank you, and good luck to us all :)

Definitely a slippery slope. Maybe email the admissions coordinator instead? I think people are emailing PI's if they had a prelim and haven't heard anything back. Otherwise.... it might come off a tiny bit pushy. I heard that some programs just started reviewing apps. Maybe give it a few more weeks before you reach out. 

1 hour ago, K3lD1Psych said:

I don't know who is doing this but... thank you to the person on the results page who keeps telling everyone to stop asking questions and having back and forth conversations there, lol. 

And to the person who said that someone who posts in all caps isn’t ready for grad school: You may also not be cut out for grad school if you can’t follow the simple instructions on what to post in the forum vs the results page.

Tensions are high, everyone is stressed, and we deal with it in different ways. I don't think anyone should be judged on their fitness for grad school based on their online behavior ? I also know people are just grasping for any kind of useful information, and that is frustrating when it clogs up the results section, but the person posting in all caps is also not following the results page rules? I really try my best to just let that shit go. It doesn't serve me or my anxiety to get mad at a random, anonymous person on the internet. 

1 hour ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

And to the person who said that someone who posts in all caps isn’t ready for grad school: You may also not be cut out for grad school if you can’t follow the simple instructions on what to post in the forum vs the results page.

Indeed their response telling the person they weren't "ready for grad school" because of writing in caps and not wanting the results survey clogged up was... quite the response! ? Don't think that is quite the credential to go off of. . . Also is super ableist to tell someone they don't have what it takes "emotional-developmentally" for grad school on the internet for being frustrated about clogging up a results survey. I am saddened to see that response coming from a prospective psychologist to someone stressed. That was uncalled for. In the end I would be way more concerned about the person being ableist in response and telling them they aren't "developmentally" cut out for grad school over it than I would be over someone stressed about clogged up survey results.

Editing to add I don't think the rules are very clear on there from the beginning, and I can't really see them anywhere.. I haven't ever posted to the results before, but I didn't even know questions and back and forth convo were against the rules there and found myself thinking about how disruptive it was. So I personally don't really blame them for posting to tell them to stop clogging it up, even if it did "break the rules" to do it. To some people it can be a real accessibility barrier. I do appreciate them posting the link to the forum so people can actually have their questions answered and check the forum because it does indeed help with the stress too. The results can appear to be the right place to ask questions if you don't know about it. Ah well. 

Edited by K3lD1Psych

25 minutes ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Indeed their response telling the person they weren't "ready for grad school" because of writing in caps and not wanting the results survey clogged up was... quite the response! ? Don't think that is quite the credential to go off of. . . Also seemed super ableist to tell someone they don't have what it takes "emotional-developmentally" for grad school on the internet for being frustrated about clogging up a results survey. I am saddened to see that response coming from a prospective psychologist. That was uncalled for. 

Editing to add I don't think the rules are very clear on there from the beginning, and I can't really see them anywhere.. I haven't ever posted to the results before, but I didn't even know questions and back and forth convo were against the rules there and found myself thinking about how disruptive it was. So I personally don't really blame them for posting to tell them to stop clogging it up, even if it did "break the rules" to do it. It can appear to be the right place to ask questions if you don't know that. Ah well. 

I think the main thing is that there isn’t an option for asking a question or chatting. When the options are “interview, admitted, rejected, other” and the page asks you to take the time to post your results, it just doesn’t seem to me like it’s the place for back and forth. That being said, I also don’t think caps/yelling is necessary but also, there were multiple posts saying that the results page isn’t for back and forth and asking for people to stop doing it, so the continued back and forth is even more frustrating because it’s happening after multiple requests for it to be taken to a different place. Someone even provided the link for where to discuss, when they posted about it.  

11 minutes ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

I think the main thing is that there isn’t an option for asking a question or chatting. When the options are “interview, admitted, rejected, other” and the page asks you to take the time to post your results, it just doesn’t seem to me like it’s the place for back and forth. That being said, I also don’t think caps/yelling is necessary but also, there were multiple posts saying that the results page isn’t for back and forth and asking for people to stop doing it, so the continued back and forth is even more frustrating because it’s happening after multiple requests for it to be taken to a different place. Someone even provided the link for where to discuss, when they posted about it.  

I fully agree with everything you said! I have never posted there and didn't even know how until like yesterday (apparently the button is way at the bottom), so I didn't know what options were included in the results survey form thing. I edited my response to include they put the link too and how I found it helpful for people but didn't get the chance to add it before you quote-replied. I didn't even see that you included it in your response too. ?  Ooooohh also editing to add for some reason I was under the impression that they used caps so that people saw it. I didn't even see the post until it was caps. I tend to ignore or brush over lots of text on the results page when it is not my school. 

Edited by K3lD1Psych

*sings “why can’t we be friends” while navigating the results page* yikes ? 

but in all seriousness, we are all so stressed and at our wits end. Let’s be supportive! Invalidating each other’s emotional readiness for grad school is so draining. 

2 hours ago, TR95 said:

Has anyone received any type of 'confirmation email' after filling out the interview time slots? I haven't and am a little paranoid about it?

I have not! I've accepted an interview invitation and was only given the date. I was told the specific time and other pertinent details would be supplied "soon". 

To anyone who will be interviewed or have interviewed from John Jay CUNY:

Did you all get a confirmation (or anything at all) after filling out that interview response link? I only saw the typical "Thank you for your response! Your response has been recorded" Now I'm a little bit paranoid now unsure if it really went through or if I was just dreaming....