2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

16 minutes ago, clinpsychhopeful2021 said:

Hi, has anyone heard back from lakehead? I remember someone posting saying that first round offers are delayed a bit, so I'm curious if they have gone out yet

also, for anyone on a waitlist, do you think it is okay to email and ask what your position on the waitlist is?

I haven't heard anything yet, and based on the results page it seems that other people haven't heard yet (like those who were on the waitlist). I do not know about asking for your position on the waitlist, it seems like if they wanted to let people know where they were on the waitlist they would have done so already. But we can maybe ask if the second round of offers have been extended already? That would give us an idea of what has been done. 

25 minutes ago, clinpsychhopeful2021 said:

Hi, has anyone heard back from lakehead? I remember someone posting saying that first round offers are delayed a bit, so I'm curious if they have gone out yet

also, for anyone on a waitlist, do you think it is okay to email and ask what your position on the waitlist is?

I haven't heard anything yet, and based on the results page it seems that other people haven't heard yet (like those who were on the waitlist). I do not know about asking for your position on the waitlist, it seems like if they wanted to let people know where they were on the waitlist they would have done so already. But we can maybe ask if the second round of offers have been extended already? That would give us an idea of what has been done. 

I also wanted to mention when I contacted them about GRE requirements for the next application cycle, they told me (on March 10th) that only the first round of offers had gone out, and that offers may be extended until April 15th. So it seems that they are taking sometime and may not send out offers until the end of March or early April as mentioned in the last mass email to the waitlisted candidates. 

16 hours ago, Sundaythecat said:

Official results for CGS-M are released on April 1. 

Was just about to come here to ask - anyone know if they're released at a specific time on April 1? Like midnight EDT or something? Lol it's not that important I was just wondering if I shouldn't be surprised if I check that morning and they're not posted.

35 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Was just about to come here to ask - anyone know if they're released at a specific time on April 1? Like midnight EDT or something? Lol it's not that important I was just wondering if I shouldn't be surprised if I check that morning and they're not posted.

Oh so I woke up super early at 6am MT just to check results (2 yrs ago now?). The portal crashed in the morning LOL given too many users were trying to logon so I went back to sleep and was able to check/log on in the afternoon haha. So not sure waking up early to check results is helpful haha 

52 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Oh so I woke up super early at 6am MT just to check results (2 yrs ago now?). The portal crashed in the morning LOL given too many users were trying to logon so I went back to sleep and was able to check/log on in the afternoon haha. So not sure waking up early to check results is helpful haha 

HAHAHA good to know, I def won't be waking up at 6 then ? I usually check my email every day at around 8 AM MDT so I was wondering if they'd be posted by then.

14 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

HAHAHA good to know, I def won't be waking up at 6 then ? I usually check my email every day at around 8 AM MDT so I was wondering if they'd be posted by then.

It should be! If the portal isn't down hahaah :P Best of luck!

11 minutes ago, hopefulsomehow said:

Has anyone not received a rejection from ryerson or anything about being on the waitlist? I am assuming rejection but wanted to know if more people were in the same situation

I think most people who know they are on the waitlist or rejected know because they reached out to the school and asked about their status. They seemed to answer everyone who asked, so if you’re curious you could reach out

3 hours ago, hopefulsomehow said:

Has anyone not received a rejection from ryerson or anything about being on the waitlist? I am assuming rejection but wanted to know if more people were in the same situation

I haven’t heard anything and my friend hasn’t either. I’m assuming rejection. :(

Hi everyone! I just came across this site and have been browsing this forum in preparation for my clinical psyc applications - I'm currently in 4th year at Queen's and taking a year off before applying. I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me!

1. How do you go about asking potential referees for academic references that will be needed not for fall 2021, but for fall 2022? What if they forget or do not want to promise a reference for so long from now?

2. What is the acceptance rate like for the clinical psyc programs at UofT, Ryerson, and York? 

34 minutes ago, psyc1818 said:

Hi everyone! I just came across this site and have been browsing this forum in preparation for my clinical psyc applications - I'm currently in 4th year at Queen's and taking a year off before applying. I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me!

1. How do you go about asking potential referees for academic references that will be needed not for fall 2021, but for fall 2022? What if they forget or do not want to promise a reference for so long from now?

2. What is the acceptance rate like for the clinical psyc programs at UofT, Ryerson, and York? 

Hey it is great you are starting early :) 

I would say it depends on your professor and references how they will respond to being asked so early on. I am sure they will ask to be reminded closer to the deadline but will likely give you a response immediately about they feel about their suitability to write you a letter. 

I believe because the schools you listed a all CPA accredited they have to publish a table with statistics about their acceptance rates and such on their website. I haven’t applied to any of those schools so I wouldn’t be able to direct you the tables as readily as someone else who maybe applied. Maybe they can comment on your post and give you a more direct and immediate answer. 

4 minutes ago, psychsci said:

Hey it is great you are starting early :) 

I would say it depends on your professor and references how they will respond to being asked so early on. I am sure they will ask to be reminded closer to the deadline but will likely give you a response immediately about they feel about their suitability to write you a letter. 

I believe because the schools you listed a all CPA accredited they have to publish a table with statistics about their acceptance rates and such on their website. I haven’t applied to any of those schools so I wouldn’t be able to direct you the tables as readily as someone else who maybe applied. Maybe they can comment on your post and give you a more direct and immediate answer. 

thanks so much for your response!! :) fingers crossed for my referees' responses!

2 hours ago, psyc1818 said:

There are two programs affiliated with UofT - the one at OISE and the one at UTSC. They probably have comparable rates but I know last year for utsc it was around 2-3% acceptance and this year it was actually less than 1% - close to 500 applicants for 4 spots :(. It's because this is an exceptionally small program.

I expect Ryerson and York to have similar rates - they both take more students but also get more applicants - so around 2-3% I would expect (at most 5%)

Edited by Chebben

hiiii all, v random but please message me if you'd like to chat about starting a program in the fall, moving (?!?!), the frustration of applying multiple times, anything you want, but /especially/ imposter syndrome ? i wanted to put it out there since this is such a competitive program where it may seem that the odds are stacked against us, and it's so so easy to let setbacks make us forget how capable and deserving we are. i'm definitely feeling this way even as i start a new and super exciting chapter of my life, and i'm sending love to anyone else that is too ❤️ 

Hey guys!

I was fortunate and received two offers of admission this season. I like both programs, both are a great fit, and the professors I mentioned in my statement of intent were both willing to be my supervisor. Both professors are great and both are well-known within their field. Unfortunately, I have to reject one program in favor of the other (due to several factors). However, I am reluctant to just leave it at that. If possible, I would like to keep in contact with the supervisor from the rejected program. I admire her work and I think she's great! Is this okay to do? Do you think the professor would be okay keeping in touch even though I rejected their program?

This is the email I intend to send to that professor.

Dear Dr. X,

I was happy and grateful that I was considered for admission to the --- program. After careful consideration, I decided to decline my offer at ---. I hope that we cross-paths in the future and that there's an opportunity for us to collaborate on a project.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

2 hours ago, GradApplicant2021 said:

Is anybody still waiting to hear any response from McMaster for the MSc in Psychotherapy program (rejection, acceptance, or waitlist)? I haven't received anything. 

Same! I haven't heard anything from McMaster and my portal says Pending. :C 

I also sent an email to ask about it but got an automated response that they won't be getting back if the emails about the results, so I don't know if I've been rejected or waitlisted. 

2 hours ago, Ellisse said:

Hey guys!

I was fortunate and received two offers of admission this season. I like both programs, both are a great fit, and the professors I mentioned in my statement of intent were both willing to be my supervisor. Both professors are great and both are well-known within their field. Unfortunately, I have to reject one program in favor of the other (due to several factors). However, I am reluctant to just leave it at that. If possible, I would like to keep in contact with the supervisor from the rejected program. I admire her work and I think she's great! Is this okay to do? Do you think the professor would be okay keeping in touch even though I rejected their program?

This is the email I intend to send to that professor.

Dear Dr. X,

I was happy and grateful that I was considered for admission to the --- program. After careful consideration, I decided to decline my offer at ---. I hope that we cross-paths in the future and that there's an opportunity for us to collaborate on a project.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

congratulations on both acceptances - that's really amazing! i completely understand how you're feeling as i was in your shoes this cycle too. i wasn't even sure i'd receive any acceptances let alone have to turn one down. what you have is totally okay in my opinion, it shows your interest and that you'd like to stay in contact. it's also good that you're keeping it relatively brief :))

i wrote a little bit more in my email bc i was genuinely so torn and really felt like i got to know that supervisor during the interview process. i did inform them what program i would be attending and a quick why, and i also mentioned that i hoped to stay in touch and potentially work together in the future. again, what you've written is concise and genuine, and faculty are used to this happening (it's such a competitive field and the norm is to apply to several places), so if they were willing to extend an offer to work with you, i'm sure they would be happy to keep in touch. keep in mind that faculty want what is best for you, and sometimes that means attending a different program!