2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

19 minutes ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Does anyone know what time CGS-M results are announced tomorrow? Is it worth checking at 12:01am??

I think one of the automated emails said 9:00 a.m. (ET).

59 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

I think one of the automated emails said 9:00 a.m. (ET).

"The results of the 2021 CGS M competition will be available in the research portal starting April 1, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. (ET). All applicants will have access to the research portal to obtain their results on April 1"

from the official emails folks, lets crash that portal at 8am hahaaha

8 hours ago, higaisha said:

"The results of the 2021 CGS M competition will be available in the research portal starting April 1, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. (ET). All applicants will have access to the research portal to obtain their results on April 1"

from the official emails folks, lets crash that portal at 8am hahaaha

Hahah it's happening! I can't get on to see my results and it feels like torture!?

3 minutes ago, clinicalpsychhopeful5 said:

What does it mean if your status still says "Received by administrator" and the date hasn't been updated?

Mine said that when I logged in, but then I had to click to open to application. Hopefully you'll see something if you open the full application.

15 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

It happened for me!!! I got the award offer and I've accepted!!!

Yay! Congrats!!

I was placed as an alternative. Does anyone know someone who had received the award from the alternative list? 

36 minutes ago, clinicalpsychhopeful5 said:

I'm still not seeing any status update. It still just says "received by administrator". Is anyone else experiencing this?

Also wondering this!! Funny enough that the only school that hasn't been updated for me is the one I got an offer from..

Just now, xtrahotlatte said:

Also wondering this!! Funny enough that the only school that hasn't been updated for me is the one I got an offer from..

I just got an email saying my application status has changed. I'm still waiting for one more school to update, but I'm assuming I'll hear at some point today. Hopefully for you too, good luck!

1 hour ago, cpsych2021 said:

Yay! Congrats!!

I was placed as an alternative. Does anyone know someone who had received the award from the alternative list? 

18 minutes ago, psych101010 said:

I also got "alternate" for 2 schools (one of which I am attending next year). Does anyone have any more information about what this means? Are alternates ever ultimately given funding?

"Alternate" = wait listed. I was an alternate for two schools, and they ultimately got more funding, so I received CGSM CIHR the summer before I started at my current program. There is always hope! 

It doesn't guarantee you funding but it ultimately doesn't mean you were "rejected". You will receive an email of a status change if your status changes. Best of luck!

Edited by Mickey26

17 minutes ago, hopefulsomehow said:

I received an Alternate for a school that I was rejected from. I am assuming I should wait to see if my status changes before contacting them. Does anyone know how long it usually takes before they update your status to accepted/rejected? 

A slight glimmer of hope

" Offers to alternate applicants may be made up until January 31 of the next calendar year. It is the responsibility of the applicant to regularly check the research portal between April 1 and January 31 for results of the competition."

Source: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/pg-cs/cgsm-bescm_eng.asp

Aka January 31st, 2022 for this years competition.

Edited by Mickey26

Sorry to spam the forum but do you guys think an alternate offer is something we could list on our CV's? Because the school technically considered the application CGSM-worthy, it just fell below the allocation cutoff? Like they could have just outright declined the proposal instead but they didn't. Or is that reaching? Lol

Edited by carlrogersfan98

22 minutes ago, hopefulsomehow said:

I received an Alternate for a school that I was rejected from. I am assuming I should wait to see if my status changes before contacting them. Does anyone know how long it usually takes before they update your status to accepted/rejected? 

A slight glimmer of hope

I'm in the same boat! 

I'm taking it as a good sign that out of however many applications they reviewed ours were competitive enough to be in the running. I'm not convinced it will help me get into the program even if I do get an offer later, as I wasn't interviewed by that school, but after a loooong and depressing process it's nice to have something positive to hold on to haha!

1 minute ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Sorry to spam the forum but do you guys think an alternate offer is something we could list on our CV's? Because the school technically considered the application CGSM-worthy, it just fell below the allocation cutoff? Like they could have just outright declined the proposal instead but they didn't. Or is that reaching? Lol

I was thinking about this as well. Half of me thinks, if you were shortlisted for a conference award or something, I would put that on my CV even if I didn't win. The other half of me thinks if I was waitlisted into a PhD program but ultimately didn't make it, I wouldn't put that on my cv... So I'm not sure! I guess if you're early in your research career and don't have a long CV it would probably be helpful, but if you have more impressive things on your CV (have won other scholarships, have publications etc) it might look weak in comparison.

4 minutes ago, emsmith said:

I'm in the same boat! 

I'm taking it as a good sign that out of however many applications they reviewed ours were competitive enough to be in the running. I'm not convinced it will help me get into the program even if I do get an offer later, as I wasn't interviewed by that school, but after a loooong and depressing process it's nice to have something positive to hold on to haha!

Literally my exact thoughts. I'm super thrilled because so far it's been nothing but rejections, "no's", and bad news, so I am absolutely over the moon that one school at least waitlisted me for SSHRC and thought my proposal was strong LOL. I'm gonna celebrate this, even though everyone I've told so far has been like "you're waitlisted? congrats I guess?" hahahahaha

Edited by carlrogersfan98

2 minutes ago, emsmith said:

I was thinking about this as well. Half of me thinks, if you were shortlisted for a conference award or something, I would put that on my CV even if I didn't win. The other half of me thinks if I was waitlisted into a PhD program but ultimately didn't make it, I wouldn't put that on my cv... So I'm not sure! I guess if you're early in your research career and don't have a long CV it would probably be helpful, but if you have more impressive things on your CV (have won other scholarships, have publications etc) it might look weak in comparison.

I think this would be more equivalent to the conference award situation than the program though, because CGSM is an award! So maybe it would be acceptable, especially early on in your research career :) they always say the rich get richer, so perhaps mentioning you were on an alternate list for CGSM would make you more favourable for future CGSMs in the future

11 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Echoing this. I was listed as an alternate at a school I was rejected from. I already accepted an offer of admission to a school that I unfortunately did not list in my CGS-M application, so I will not be circling back to the alternate status school. If anyone has any info on whether alternate status has any use for CV/future CGS-M purposes that would be great. Thanks!