2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

11 hours ago, cofffeee said:

has anyone received official rejection from UTSC clin psyc? 

I still haven’t, and my friend hasn’t either. Still waiting on UTSC and Ryerson. 

21 hours ago, gradclinical said:

I still haven't received official rejection  from OISE SCCP. My status of application is still " Under Review". Has anyone received official rejection from OISE SCCP? 

I am in the same boat. I have seen some folks post rejections on the results page. Thus, I'm assuming it's just a matter of time, but part of me is still holding out hope. Good luck! 

On 3/29/2021 at 7:10 AM, criticalthinker said:

It isn't necessarily good or bad! It simply means that the school has yet to enter a decision for your CGS-M application. Once a decision is made and entered into your CGS-M research portal you will received an e-mail that your application status has changed and that you will be able to view the decision on April 1st. Also the date will change from the date you submitted your app to the date when the decision was made. The only exception to this is if your application was deemed ineligible, in which case you will be able to see that decision right away. If interested in reading more about it you can check out this link (specifically under the heading "Competition Results Mid-March - April 1st":

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/RR_CGSM-RR_BESCM_eng.asp#Appointment_of_the

I hope that helps!

Ah, yes I finally got the email this morning about the application status change. I was worried they'd forgotten to update my application!

On 3/25/2021 at 5:49 PM, janelove said:

Hi there, good question! 

I think an ineligible status at this point means either that you turned town an admission offer from that school or that you were not offered admission to that school. This is just because admission at the school is a requirement to hold an award there, and some schools seem to update that before the official results from CGS-M come out! I saw the same ineligible status with McMaster after I turned down an offer.

Hope this helps!

I believe you can still technically win a CGS-M even if you were rejected from that school. Program admissions and CGS-M awards are decided independently. I've heard of cases where people got a CGS-M for a school they were not admitted in to!

On 3/29/2021 at 7:10 AM, criticalthinker said:

It isn't necessarily good or bad! It simply means that the school has yet to enter a decision for your CGS-M application. Once a decision is made and entered into your CGS-M research portal you will received an e-mail that your application status has changed and that you will be able to view the decision on April 1st. Also the date will change from the date you submitted your app to the date when the decision was made. The only exception to this is if your application was deemed ineligible, in which case you will be able to see that decision right away. If interested in reading more about it you can check out this link (specifically under the heading "Competition Results Mid-March - April 1st":

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/RR_CGSM-RR_BESCM_eng.asp#Appointment_of_the

I hope that helps!

I just got that email a few moments ago and my status still is the date I submitted the application. But I don't think it was deemed ineligible because it would have said that too... this is so odd haha

On 3/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, Maria Tahir said:

Hi everyone, I am an international student looking to apply to clin psyc programs in the upcoming cycle to start in Sept 2022. I have spent a lot of time reading this thread and I am absolutely confused as to where i should, should i even apply etc. I am really afraid i wont be able to get into any clin psyc programs considering they are so competitive and i am international student on top of that. 

For reference, my current CGPA is 3.57, i spent 2 summers working as research assistant and will be gaining more research experience this upcoming year before applying. I also have a publication but it was a part of my school's course because we did a replication and extension research under open-science framework. I am also currently writing up my own honors thesis. However, as a bachelors, thats about it for my application. Kinda not feeling confident with applying and not sure how to go about this. If anyone can lend me advice, it would be so so helpful. Thank you

You sound very qualified! I had a lower CGPA (3.4) than you and got 2/3 interviews (UBC/Queens) and 1 acceptance (Queens) on my first round of clin applications. I also have less relevant experience than you have listed here. Hope that is helpful! 

2 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I just got that email a few moments ago and my status still is the date I submitted the application. But I don't think it was deemed ineligible because it would have said that too... this is so odd haha

That should be fine. The date in my portal didn't change either, so it's still showing the date I submitted the application, and I'm certain I'm eligible as well.

4 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I believe you can still technically win a CGS-M even if you were rejected from that school. Program admissions and CGS-M awards are decided independently. I've heard of cases where people got a CGS-M for a school they were not admitted in to!

That's correct. Last year I was rejected from the schools I applied to and was still offered CGS-M SSHRC (even after I was rejected)

19 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

So, I double checked the portal again, and the date I saw when first entered was indeed my submission date. However, when I clicked to open the application file, I saw the new date. It's entered as March 30th, 2021. I suspect you should see this there too. I attached a screenshot of what I see/what it should look like.

Application Status.png

Just an update that I got my UTSC rejection. I knew it was coming but still a bummer. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that if you get a scholarship after rejection you might be able to contact the school and let them know? And they might find space for you? Anyone know if this is true?

3 hours ago, VanessaB said:

So, I double checked the portal again, and the date I saw when first entered was indeed my submission date. However, when I clicked to open the application file, I saw the new date. It's entered as March 30th, 2021. I suspect you should see this there too. I attached a screenshot of what I see/what it should look like.

Application Status.png

Yes, it does look like that for me, interestingly enough only for one of the three schools I listed! I mean, I didn't get into any of them, so it doesn't really matter ? would still be neat to see the results though 

Edit: oh okay I just got another notification so I guess the schools just upload results at their own paces. I guess this also means some results may not be available right away on the 1st depending on if the school posted the results yet or not.

Edited by carlrogersfan98

1 hour ago, gumbaline said:

Just an update that I got my UTSC rejection. I knew it was coming but still a bummer. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that if you get a scholarship after rejection you might be able to contact the school and let them know? And they might find space for you? Anyone know if this is true?

I have heard of this and I encourage anyone who receives CGS-M to contact the program if you were previously rejected from the admission committee. I've personally heard of a few cases where they did end up taking the applicant.

Good luck! :)

52 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

I have heard of this and I encourage anyone who receives CGS-M to contact the program if you were previously rejected from the admission committee. I've personally heard of a few cases where they did end up taking the applicant.

Good luck! :)

Welp, I was indifferent about CGS-M given that I didn't get in anywhere but now I have an ever-so-small glimmer of hope ? 

Do all schools have to update the CGSM portal by April 1st? Or is that the date at which they can start updating students (assuming you are eligible for an award)? 

STILL have not heard anything from OISE. When I emailed the APHD department a couple weeks ago they copied and pasted an e-mail to me essentially saying that I would hear back by the end of March. I also followed up a few weeks ago with the POI I interviewed with and NO reply. I honestly am really turned off and upset by how inconsiderate, non-transparent, and unresponsive OISE is. Maybe it's for the best that I won't be going there.

23 minutes ago, psychsci said:

Do all schools have to update the CGSM portal by April 1st? Or is that the date at which they can start updating students (assuming you are eligible for an award)? 

I'm assuming that's the date you can first begin viewing awards. One of the schools I listed still hasn't posted results so my guess is that results for some schools might come in after April 1 depending on how backlogged they are.

I actually had a question regarding about CGSM. With actual grad schools often sending admissions decision before CGSM decisions are out, are there actually instances where a person might get awarded a CGSM scholarship but received a rejection earlier from those 3 schools anyway? What happens then?

I kind of thought that the CGSM reviewers for those schools would know if you were accepted or not beforehand, so being rejected in those 3 schools prior would factor in to their decisions for awarding the scholarships. It just didn't make sense to me to award you with a scholarship if the school rejected you in the first place.

Edited by psychowannabee

2 hours ago, psychowannabee said:

I actually had a question regarding about CGSM. With actual grad schools often sending admissions decision before CGSM decisions are out, are there actually instances where a person might get awarded a CGSM scholarship but received a rejection earlier from those 3 schools anyway? What happens then?

I kind of thought that the CGSM reviewers for those schools would know if you were accepted or not beforehand, so being rejected in those 3 schools prior would factor in to their decisions for awarding the scholarships. It just didn't make sense to me to award you with a scholarship if the school rejected you in the first place.

Disclaimer: I am like 95% sure about all this, if someone sees this and I am wrong with something please correct me ASAP lol 

To my understanding, the people who award CGSM's and the people who evaluate grad school applications are separate and don't influence each other. The CGSM people give awards solely based on what is included in each application, regardless of whether or not that person was accepted to the school. So it is entirely possible students don't get in to the program yet still get offered the award; however, if the student is unable to attend the program, they obviously cannot accept the award because you need to be enrolled the graduate program that awarded the money to take it.

Apparently, there have been many instances where a student would get a CGSM at a school after not getting in and then being squeezed in after the fact if they got CGSM. I'm presuming this is because programs have such a limited amount of spots because there's only so much funding they can give, so if a student is coming in with their own funding, then that relieves the pressure of the department to find funding for that student - so if the student is otherwise a very strong applicant, they may be let in. 

IMO it's so weird that grad school decisions are made before the CGSM results are out, I feel like it would save everyone so much time if decisions were made after CGSM results are released. That way, whether or not the student actually has funding would be factored into the decision, and grad schools wouldn't have to deal with rejected students who have nonetheless gotten CGSM contacting them to inquire about being squeezed in to the program after the fact.

6 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

STILL have not heard anything from OISE. When I emailed the APHD department a couple weeks ago they copied and pasted an e-mail to me essentially saying that I would hear back by the end of March. I also followed up a few weeks ago with the POI I interviewed with and NO reply. I honestly am really turned off and upset by how inconsiderate, non-transparent, and unresponsive OISE is. Maybe it's for the best that I won't be going there.

I’m in a similar situation. I was deciding whether to move provinces for another program/ look for accommodation and had to delay everything because OISE has yet to respond. I’ve also received a copy/paste response. There’s no consideration for how their lack of professionalism impacts students and applicants. Funny enough their application deadline was the earliest.