2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Oh and also, I wrote an OGS application to another school I interviewed at but was ultimately not offered admission. I feel like (and the POI agreed) the OGS proposal was strong! I'm wondering if OGS operates similarly to CGS-M where you can be offered an OGS scholarship to a school you were rejected from? I know I won't get the money, but it would be awesome to add to my CV. Anyone have any input on this?

how long do schools have to make a decision about CGS-M? I still have received by administrator as the status for one of my schools, does this mean a decision has yet to be made? 

for anyone on the waitlist at lakehead: I emailed to ask about when we might hear back, and they said that the second round of offers will likely go out after April 15 (if any). they said to keep checking your lakehead email. hope this helps a little bit with this loooong waiting process :)

2 hours ago, hopefulsomehow said:

Anyone else waiting for an actual response from Ryerson and also for the CGS-M decision? 

Same! It still says "received by the administrator". I'm wondering if I should contact Ryerson and ask. I called the SSHRC people today and they said it's up to the university to update the portal.

Checked this morning, and received SSHRC for Windsor Child Clinical. Too bad I got rejected from there already almost a month ago... And all other schools to follow.
And yes I already contacted the school to ask if they could make an exception and they said "lol nope". So yea, gonna decline. On the bright side, when I told the POI that rejected me, they asked to have a zoom chat in late April, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

Hi all! I was just wondering if anyone knows of any profs doing research focusing on child/adolescent mental health who may be accepting volunteer RA's from other universities? I don't have any opportunities in my current city, so I'm hoping I can find a lab that I can volunteer with online! Thanks :) 

13 hours ago, cpsych2021 said:

Yay! Congrats!!

I was placed as an alternative. Does anyone know someone who had received the award from the alternative list? 

Last year I received SSHRC from the alternate list! However, I wasn't able to accept it because the school had already rejected me. I did e-mail the school to see if having SSHRC would change anything and unfortunately it didn't. I will say that after getting rejected by all of the schools I applied to last year, getting SSHRC was the glimmer of hope that I was a still worthy applicant! haha

12 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Literally my exact thoughts. I'm super thrilled because so far it's been nothing but rejections, "no's", and bad news, so I am absolutely over the moon that one school at least waitlisted me for SSHRC and thought my proposal was strong LOL. I'm gonna celebrate this, even though everyone I've told so far has been like "you're waitlisted? congrats I guess?" hahahahaha

This was me last year! I was rejected across the board and the fact that I was an alternate for SSHRC for 2 of the 3 schools I applied to really gave me hope! haha I was eventually offered SSHRC from the alternate list but it unfortunately didn't change the fact that the school still didn't accept me.

12 hours ago, criticalthinker said:

Last year I received SSHRC from the alternate list! However, I wasn't able to accept it because the school had already rejected me. I did e-mail the school to see if having SSHRC would change anything and unfortunately it didn't. I will say that after getting rejected by all of the schools I applied to last year, getting SSHRC was the glimmer of hope that I was a still worthy applicant! haha

Do you remember how long after the CGS-M results came out that you were notified that your status changed from 'alternate' to 'offered'?

33 minutes ago, clinicalpsychhopeful5 said:

I'm curious how one would write that on their CV.

Under the section "Scholarships, grants, bursaries, and awards" on my CV I put it like this:

Canada Graduate Scholarships – Masters, SSHRC (2020) Declined                                  $17,500

Others may have done it differently but that is just how I wrote it. I hope that helps!

On 4/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, hopefulsomehow said:

Anyone else waiting for an actual response from Ryerson and also for the CGS-M decision? 

Not about CGSM but yes about Ryerson. Haven't heard a thing since the deadline. 100000% know it's gonna be a rejection though.

Just now, pyschluver said:

Do you remember how long after the CGS-M results came out that you were notified that your status changed from 'alternate' to 'offered'?

Exactly 21 days! So I don't know if that means that whoever had the award before me didn't decline it until the last minute or if they declined it right away and I just wasn't updated until the 21 days had passed.

12 hours ago, criticalthinker said:

This was me last year! I was rejected across the board and the fact that I was an alternate for SSHRC for 2 of the 3 schools I applied to really gave me hope! haha I was eventually offered SSHRC from the alternate list but it unfortunately didn't change the fact that the school still didn't accept me.

Sweet, well I will keep checking if I eventually get the SSHRC because then that way I can put it on my CV! I've been talking to some profs and they said it's usually not really a thing to put "alternate" awards on CV's, only if you've actually been offered the award and then declined it.

Also, question for everyone: even if I eventually get the SSHRC, how late is too late to inquire about possibly being squeezed into the program? Even if it comes over the summer or so, should I still email and ask? Obviously I'm not holding out hope and am currently just looking for jobs instead but if there would still be a chance I definitely want to take it lol.

Edited by carlrogersfan98

3 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Sweet, well I will keep checking if I eventually get the SSHRC because then that way I can put it on my CV! I've been talking to some profs and they said it's usually not really a thing to put "alternate" awards on CV's, only if you've actually been offered the award and then declined it.

Also, question for everyone: even if I eventually get the SSHRC, how late is too late to inquire about possibly being squeezed into the program? Even if it comes over the summer or so, should I still email and ask?

Yeah, that was my understanding too - wait until it's offered to you and then put it on your CV! As for your question, I would say it's never too late to shoot your shot. The way I thought about it last year was I really had nothing to lose e-mailing the program that already rejected me to let them know I had secured funding at their school. Worst case scenario they say "good job but we still can't accept you", best case scenario they re-evaluate things and accept you into the program!

13 hours ago, criticalthinker said:

This is nice! Do you know when you got notified as an alternate to offered status? Was it three weeks after the first round of offers?

edit: nevermind i saw that it took 21 days!!

Edited by sharingxn

1 minute ago, sharingxn said:

This is nice! Do you know when you got notified as an alternate to offered status? Was it three weeks after the first round of offers?

edit: nevermind i saw that it took 21 days!!

Also I forgot to mention that I received an e-mail from CGS-M notifying me that my application status had changed! That's how I knew to check the portal and when I did I saw that my status was changed from "alternate" to "offered" !

Good luck to everyone on the alternate list! You are worthy of the award and I hope it gets offered to you!