2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

April 15th is in a few days and I'm in a pickle. Got into 2 MA (but basically direct PhD entry) programs, one is clinical, the other is counselling. Both have major cons like poor location (clinical program), low funding (clinical & counselling programs), poor internship match + career uncertainty (counselling program), or hands-off supervisor (counselling program). Right now I'm leaning towards the clinical program, which is still amazing in other respects and will lead me to my desired career. If I feel the pros > cons, I could attend another school for the PhD? But what does everyone think about rejecting both offers and reapplying for Fall 2022? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush something something ?  ?

For people taking a gap year between undergrad & grad school or those who were rejected this year, what types of jobs are you applying to to fill the time? My university has no paid RA'ships or TA'ships for recent grads and undergrads in my area of interest (though I will be volunteering my time in two, maybe three labs in the next year), indeed & linkedin are not giving me many options besides a child care worker, and I'm not even sure where to begin for finding paid relevant job positions for my gap year.

21 minutes ago, washi said:

For people taking a gap year between undergrad & grad school or those who were rejected this year, what types of jobs are you applying to to fill the time? My university has no paid RA'ships or TA'ships for recent grads and undergrads in my area of interest (though I will be volunteering my time in two, maybe three labs in the next year), indeed & linkedin are not giving me many options besides a child care worker, and I'm not even sure where to begin for finding paid relevant job positions for my gap year.

I'm heading into my second gap year so I can speak a bit from previous experience with finding a job last year. 

I didn't actually get a paid RA opportunity until August. I suspect that this was partly due to uncertainty around covid but mainly due to the fact that their previous RAs were going back to school in September so positions had opened up. I had checked Indeed daily for RA positions in the spring and didn't see many open up until early summer. 

Also, I'm not sure how broad you're being with your interests, but if you can, I'd recommend being open to research that you might not have considered. I'm really interested in ASD but have been a paid RA in a lab looking to help caregivers of brain injury survivors. It's definitely a different area but the research skills I've gained a valuable regardless of the topic. If you can get something in your primary area of interest, of course DO IT because it would definitely be more helpful/exciting for you, but if you can't find something be open to get research experience in psychology more broadly. 

I also heard from a friend that a person in their lab got a RA job even though they lived in a different province and is working completely remote. This might change as covid restrictions ease but there might be some remote opportunities that you aren't even aware of. It doesn't hurt to try! 

Good luck! :) Trying to make the most of a gap year is hard when there aren't many opportunities available. Try not to be too hard on yourself! You can only do so much!

12 hours ago, Terelia said:

I'm heading into my second gap year so I can speak a bit from previous experience with finding a job last year. 

I didn't actually get a paid RA opportunity until August. I suspect that this was partly due to uncertainty around covid but mainly due to the fact that their previous RAs were going back to school in September so positions had opened up. I had checked Indeed daily for RA positions in the spring and didn't see many open up until early summer. 

Also, I'm not sure how broad you're being with your interests, but if you can, I'd recommend being open to research that you might not have considered. I'm really interested in ASD but have been a paid RA in a lab looking to help caregivers of brain injury survivors. It's definitely a different area but the research skills I've gained a valuable regardless of the topic. If you can get something in your primary area of interest, of course DO IT because it would definitely be more helpful/exciting for you, but if you can't find something be open to get research experience in psychology more broadly. 

I also heard from a friend that a person in their lab got a RA job even though they lived in a different province and is working completely remote. This might change as covid restrictions ease but there might be some remote opportunities that you aren't even aware of. It doesn't hurt to try! 

Good luck! :) Trying to make the most of a gap year is hard when there aren't many opportunities available. Try not to be too hard on yourself! You can only do so much!

13 hours ago, washi said:

This is great advice! I will also add that during my gap years I sought paid RA work by scanning the jobs posted in research hospital's websites. For instance in the Toronto area this meant looking through Baycrest, CAMH, Unity Health, UHN, Sunnybrook etc. webpages. Often things come up on their site that do not come up on Indeed. However, ultimately I got my RA jobs through word of mouth. As an example, I interviewed for an RA job at a major hospital but was not offered the position. The PI I interviewed with liked me though and referred me to a colleague who hired me in their lab at the same hospital. Utilize your prof/volunteer recourses and let them know your'e looking for RA work! They may know someone in your area of interest. Good luck!

12 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

This is great advice! I will also add that during my gap years I sought paid RA work by scanning the jobs posted in research hospital's websites. For instance in the Toronto area this meant looking through Baycrest, CAMH, Unity Health, UHN, Sunnybrook etc. webpages. Often things come up on their site that do not come up on Indeed. However, ultimately I got my RA jobs through word of mouth. As an example, I interviewed for an RA job at a major hospital but was not offered the position. The PI I interviewed with liked me though and referred me to a colleague who hired me in their lab at the same hospital. Utilize your prof/volunteer recourses and let them know your'e looking for RA work! They may know someone in your area of interest. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Terelia said:

This is all such great advice, thank you both for sharing! I've also been wondering, does anyone know if it is preferable to have one full-time RA job as oppose to a few part-time (sometimes volunteer) RA jobs? As well, if you do have a full-time position, is it helpful to have other part-time/volunteer jobs on top? I know people that are involved in so many different labs and coming out of undergrad, it's a bit overwhelming trying to gauge what you're really supposed to do during a gap year!

Edited by psychapp2021

1 hour ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions about posting CGSM results on social media. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you were not supposed to until the official results were announced but now I can't remember...

I haven't heard that rule and I've seen a number of people post their CGSM results on Twitter etc. 

On 4/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Excellent advice, and this is how I found my post-bacc job as well!

On 4/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, broski said:

April 15th is in a few days and I'm in a pickle. Got into 2 MA (but basically direct PhD entry) programs, one is clinical, the other is counselling. Both have major cons like poor location (clinical program), low funding (clinical & counselling programs), poor internship match + career uncertainty (counselling program), or hands-off supervisor (counselling program). Right now I'm leaning towards the clinical program, which is still amazing in other respects and will lead me to my desired career. If I feel the pros > cons, I could attend another school for the PhD? But what does everyone think about rejecting both offers and reapplying for Fall 2022? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush something something ?  ?

I realize your deadline is today (!!) so you might have already made your decision. I would go for the clinical program, it is possible to transfer to another PhD program after your MA. Or you may find you enjoy living in that location, after all! It sounds like you're a strong candidate to have two offers, congrats. But it would be risky to roll the dice for next year with two offers in hand :) 

Hello everyone!

I just had a random question. I was wondering if there was some way we could include case study competitions (group presentations in front of judges) on our CV? For example, I have participated in three at a university in Canada and was the winner of one of them. I am currently reworking my CV and trying to make it better so I was just wondering if I could even include this at all. Thanks in advance! :)

1 hour ago, +ve regard said:

I realize your deadline is today (!!) so you might have already made your decision. I would go for the clinical program, it is possible to transfer to another PhD program after your MA. Or you may find you enjoy living in that location, after all! It sounds like you're a strong candidate to have two offers, congrats. But it would be risky to roll the dice for next year with two offers in hand :) 

I thought the same. Accepted the offer to the clinical program just now:):)

15 minutes ago, Banvell said:

Does anyone know where to look for admission information (like acceptance rates) for past years on UNB's website? I've been looking everywhere and I can't seem to see where it's posted

:) 

https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/arts/departments/psychology/grad/clinical/statistics.html

Just received an unofficial offer from POI at Lakehead saying I got accept to the program this year ! Hopefully I will be able to start soon after defending my thesis :) Fingers crossed Thank you to everyone for all your support and openness on this forum. 

HUGE CONGRATS to everyone who got into programs this year!!! 

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about applying to US programs as a Canadian? In terms of like grant applications, etc. DM me if you do please! :) 

Congrats to everyone who got in this cycle ! 

I have started a new topic called "Incoming Clinical Psych Students - F2021" I am hoping that clinical psych students who are coming into their programs in the fall will be able to connect with each other, and commiserate on topics such as housing searches, PI Relations, funding, and other relevant topics. Please feel free to join if you would like to :)

hey everyone! I just got offered a SSHRC award from a school that I unfortunately didn't even interview at and already got rejected from. I remember reading in the forum a few weeks ago that sometimes in rare circumstances, people reach out to the school and let them know that they received an offer to see if they can offer a spot to you. I know this is very unlikely to happen, but should I give it a shot? If I do, would I e-mail the grad program director or the POIs I applied to work with?