2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

15 hours ago, Tinzzy said:

Same! I haven't heard anything from McMaster and my portal says Pending. :C 

I also sent an email to ask about it but got an automated response that they won't be getting back if the emails about the results, so I don't know if I've been rejected or waitlisted. 

I received my rejection letter from the Msc Psychotherapy program weeks again, but my status still appears as pending on Mosaic. It doesn't seem like they update your status unless it is an acceptance letter. I could be wrong though!

Hey everyone!

I hopped on to share some great news: I GOT AN OFFER FROM MY DREAM PROGRAM!

School: University of Toronto, OISE

TypeMA in School and Clinical Child Psychology

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Acceptance

Type of Notification: Email from assigned Faculty Advisor, who gave unofficial offer; Email from Department to check SGS portal for decision, where two documents were uploaded (official offer letter and funding information)

Date Notified: March 24, 2021; March 25, 2021

DM for POI: Sure thing!

Thank you all for being so supportive to one another. I hope everyone gets accepted into the school of their dreams when the time is right for them.  

Some quick facts about my application
My GPA wasn't so great but I hope that offers some hope for people applying! I also didn't major in psychology but had enough courses to be treated as equal. I did better in my last year but honestly it wasn't that competitive. I did, however, have many publications and conference presentations/posters. I work at two different hospitals and a lab at UofT. My three references were all professors with two of them being child and adolescent clinicians: a psychiatrist and psychologist. I think it was my referees, letter of intent, and CV that made up for my marks :)

Edited by Psych13

2 hours ago, hopefulsomehow said:

I received my rejection letter from the Msc Psychotherapy program weeks again, but my status still appears as pending on Mosaic. It doesn't seem like they update your status unless it is an acceptance letter. I could be wrong though!

It is frustrating to have not received any letter via email, an update on Mosaic, or a response beyond an automated response. How can I be sure my application was even considered?!

1 hour ago, Psych13 said:

Hey everyone!

Type of Notification: Email from assigned Faculty Advisor, who gave unofficial offer; Email from Department to check SGS portal for decision, where two documents were uploaded (official offer letter and funding information)

Thank you all for being so supportive to one another. I hope everyone gets accepted into the school of their dreams when the time is right for them.  

My GPA wasn't so great but I hope that offers some hope for people applying! I also didn't major in psychology but had enough courses to be treated as equal. I did better in my last year but honestly it wasn't that competitive. I did, however, have many publications and conference presentations/posters. I work at two different hospitals and a lab at UofT. My three references were all professors with two of them being child and adolescent clinicians: a psychiatrist and psychologist. I think it was my referees, letter of intent, and CV that made up for my marks :)

Amazing news! Congrats!! Did you have an interview? I am wondering if interviews are part of their admission process..

Just now, Schoolchildpsyc said:

Amazing news! Congrats!! Did you have an interview? I am wondering if interviews are part of their admission process..

Thank you so much!! Yes, I had an interview on Feb 2nd :) 

19 hours ago, chamomile tea said:

congratulations on both acceptances - that's really amazing! i completely understand how you're feeling as i was in your shoes this cycle too. i wasn't even sure i'd receive any acceptances let alone have to turn one down. what you have is totally okay in my opinion, it shows your interest and that you'd like to stay in contact. it's also good that you're keeping it relatively brief :))

i wrote a little bit more in my email bc i was genuinely so torn and really felt like i got to know that supervisor during the interview process. i did inform them what program i would be attending and a quick why, and i also mentioned that i hoped to stay in touch and potentially work together in the future. again, what you've written is concise and genuine, and faculty are used to this happening (it's such a competitive field and the norm is to apply to several places), so if they were willing to extend an offer to work with you, i'm sure they would be happy to keep in touch. keep in mind that faculty want what is best for you, and sometimes that means attending a different program!

Thank you! I really had a hard time choosing between the two programs. Both supervisors are great and I wanted to keep in touch with the other supervisor regardless of my decision. I was unsure if it was polite or okay to do that. Your personal anecdote gave me confidence to just go for it and send that message. 

4 hours ago, Psych13 said:

Hey everyone!

Congratulations on your offer!!! You must be so excited! This does give me hope because my overall GPA sucks and so I am hoping to really strengthen my CV and motivation letters to compensate! :) 

27 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

hey guys! so im a bit confused based on my CGS-M comments. i got rejected from all the schools i wrote in my CGS-M application but one of the schools said ineligible (First-class average) and im not sure what that means, can anybody explain :o 

Hi there, good question! 

I think an ineligible status at this point means either that you turned town an admission offer from that school or that you were not offered admission to that school. This is just because admission at the school is a requirement to hold an award there, and some schools seem to update that before the official results from CGS-M come out! I saw the same ineligible status with McMaster after I turned down an offer.

Hope this helps!

On 3/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, Plzletmein said:

Hi! Has anyone heard back from the Tri-Council (CIHR, NSERC etc.,) about funding yet / know when they will send out responses to grant applications? Thanks! 

Heard from McGill (via email) that I was rejected. The other 2 are a mystery so guess we'll see on April 1st?

Hello everyone,

I know this might be a little late, but I was wondering whether anyone had any idea on how I should proceed.

One of the schools I applied to was uOttawa for clinical psychology, and I was interviewed. However, after the interview, I was rejected (about a week or so later in February), and I emailed my PI. They told me that it was due to the fact that the admissions committee decided that I did not have enough psychology courses...To give a back story, this is my second time applying to uOttawa (with the same amount of psychology courses but a different PI), and the reasoning behind the first rejection was just because it was too competitive, nothing to do with the amount of psychology courses. I talked to one of the members on the admissions committee because I thought it was a mistake, my undergraduate was in Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour at McMaster University, how was it possible I did not have enough psychology course credits? The person on the admissions committee said I needed an extra 9 psychology courses and I was extremely confused. They said it was very difficult for them to transfer "PNB" courses and they also did not count any neuroscience courses as psychology courses. When I countered this, I was told that actually, I apparently only needed 5 more psychology courses... I was heartbroken and confused to hear all of this, and went to someone at McMaster who said they would review this with the chairs of PNB. That was over a month ago, and I haven't heard anything back. 

I am unsure what to do. At this point, I accept that I was ultimately rejected from uOttawa, but I am still sad about the outcome and whether these schools will change their policies. It makes me nervous that if this happened at uOttawa, it might've happened at other schools too, where they don't accept some PNB courses as psychology courses? I hope this also helps anyone who went to McMaster as well. Should I just drop this matter? Has anyone has also been through this? I just feel really defeated this year, but this is my dream, so I will be taking another 5 more psychology credits just in case so I can reapply next year...

Also, feel free to personally message me about it :)

39 minutes ago, psychoanalyzed said:

Hello everyone,

I know this might be a little late, but I was wondering whether anyone had any idea on how I should proceed.

One of the schools I applied to was uOttawa for clinical psychology, and I was interviewed. However, after the interview, I was rejected (about a week or so later in February), and I emailed my PI. They told me that it was due to the fact that the admissions committee decided that I did not have enough psychology courses...To give a back story, this is my second time applying to uOttawa (with the same amount of psychology courses but a different PI), and the reasoning behind the first rejection was just because it was too competitive, nothing to do with the amount of psychology courses. I talked to one of the members on the admissions committee because I thought it was a mistake, my undergraduate was in Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour at McMaster University, how was it possible I did not have enough psychology course credits? The person on the admissions committee said I needed an extra 9 psychology courses and I was extremely confused. They said it was very difficult for them to transfer "PNB" courses and they also did not count any neuroscience courses as psychology courses. When I countered this, I was told that actually, I apparently only needed 5 more psychology courses... I was heartbroken and confused to hear all of this, and went to someone at McMaster who said they would review this with the chairs of PNB. That was over a month ago, and I haven't heard anything back. 

I am unsure what to do. At this point, I accept that I was ultimately rejected from uOttawa, but I am still sad about the outcome and whether these schools will change their policies. It makes me nervous that if this happened at uOttawa, it might've happened at other schools too, where they don't accept some PNB courses as psychology courses? I hope this also helps anyone who went to McMaster as well. Should I just drop this matter? Has anyone has also been through this? I just feel really defeated this year, but this is my dream, so I will be taking another 5 more psychology credits just in case so I can reapply next year...

Hey I also did my undergrad in PNB at McMaster, and I haven't encountered this problem. Although I suspect it might have to do with how UOttawa looks at your courses etc. I have applied to other schools this cycle and I hope it won't be a problem for them. Fingers crossed. Good luck to you with everything ! 

2 hours ago, psychoanalyzed said:

Hello everyone,

Hi! I actually was in the PNB program as well and this is my second year of rejections. I’m wondering if that had anything to do with it. I also applied to Ottawa and didn’t get in. Maybe this is a bigger discussion to bring up somehow, but maybe it’s just a fluke.  

Edited by gumbaline

3 hours ago, psychoanalyzed said:

Hello everyone,

Hi! I went to Mac too, however I studied arts & science, not PNB. This is really surprising to me, especially because several of the courses that we're recommended to take for clinical are only offered in the PNB department (such as history of psych). I know several people In artsci who combined (majored) in PNB and have gotten into clinical programs such as McGill and Queens, but I'm not sure about Ottawa. I agree with the above poster, this was probably just a fluke. Best of luck!

On 3/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

hey guys! so im a bit confused based on my CGS-M comments. i got rejected from all the schools i wrote in my CGS-M application but one of the schools said ineligible (First-class average) and im not sure what that means, can anybody explain :o 

I believe this means that you did not reach the first-class average as determined by the institution where you applied for CGS-M. The CGS-M website states to be eligible for the award you must:

"have achieved a first-class average**, as determined by the host institution, in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent)"

However, they also add the caveat that "**Institutions may, at their discretion, offer a CGS M award to applicants who have not obtained a first-class average."

This info can be found on their webpage https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/pg-cs/cgsm-bescm_eng.asp

I hope this helps!

So I am thinking about cold-emailing profs for research opportunities for this upcoming year and I am wanting to check in with one, however they mentioned to me earlier when I was inquiring about graduate student supervision that they will be on sabbatical in 2021. Is it worth maybe just briefly following up anyways to see if they might have something, or know of someone who does? Again, this is just for RA work/volunteering, not for graduate student supervision in 2021. :)

Edited by carlrogersfan98

1 hour ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

So I am thinking about cold-emailing profs for research opportunities for this upcoming year and I am wanting to check in with one, however they mentioned to me earlier when I was inquiring about graduate student supervision that they will be on sabbatical in 2021. Is it worth maybe just briefly following up anyways to see if they might have something, or know of someone who does? Again, this is just for RA work/volunteering, not for graduate student supervision in 2021. :)

I think it cannot hurt, they may not have anything for you but also may know of some projects looking for RA work - and volunteer RA is even better if its something you can do to get your foot in the door and start to form relationships within other labs while also gaining more experience! I think for a lot of the summer studentships, the applications have been long since processed and approved, so finding funding may be difficult - but volunteers are a whole other category, I think its a great idea! 

Hi everyone, I am an international student looking to apply to clin psyc programs in the upcoming cycle to start in Sept 2022. I have spent a lot of time reading this thread and I am absolutely confused as to where i should, should i even apply etc. I am really afraid i wont be able to get into any clin psyc programs considering they are so competitive and i am international student on top of that. 

For reference, my current CGPA is 3.57, i spent 2 summers working as research assistant and will be gaining more research experience this upcoming year before applying. I also have a publication but it was a part of my school's course because we did a replication and extension research under open-science framework. I am also currently writing up my own honors thesis. However, as a bachelors, thats about it for my application. Kinda not feeling confident with applying and not sure how to go about this. If anyone can lend me advice, it would be so so helpful. Thank you

Hello everyone! This was my first year applying and I unfortunately was rejected from both UTSC and the RCT program at McMaster. I was however offered to do an MSc in experimental psychology at McMaster with an OGS by the one of the PIs I had listed on my application. I am very conflicted at this point whether or not getting an MSc in experimental psychology would increase my chances of admission to clinical psychology programs? The PI says that the OGS and publications I would get during that time would help my applications, but I can't seem to make a decision and I was wondering if anyone has any insight/advice/experience you could share with me? If I were to not accept this offer, I would re-apply in September 2021 to more programs and I would try to secure a position as a research assistant where I'm hoping some publications could come out of that. 

Some background about me is that I do not have a degree in psychology. I majored in honours biology and have a 30 credit minor in psychology (10 courses) with lots of research experience at the undergraduate level with some conference presentations and posters, an honours thesis, but no publications.  

I would really appreciate any input, thank you :) 

to anyone who applied for CGS-M: i received an email last week that my application status has changed but i'm unable to actually see the outcome. it still says "received by administrator" but the date that my status was last updated has changed to Mar 26th. i know results aren't available until April 1 so i'm thinking it might only be viewable after that? just wondering if this is a normal part of the process or if i'm doing something wrong hahaha

1 hour ago, chamomile tea said:

to anyone who applied for CGS-M: i received an email last week that my application status has changed but i'm unable to actually see the outcome. it still says "received by administrator" but the date that my status was last updated has changed to Mar 26th. i know results aren't available until April 1 so i'm thinking it might only be viewable after that? just wondering if this is a normal part of the process or if i'm doing something wrong hahaha

That is all normal! I received the notice last week too and in the past, the results are available the morning of April 1st. Definitely not getting much sleep for the next couple days. ?

4 hours ago, chamomile tea said:

The date showing for my "Last Updated" status is set on the day I submitted the application. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Do you think the date is supposed to change? I received the email last Thursday about how to check the portal on April 1st, and I received an email on December 17th stating that my application was under review at my current institution.

Edited by VanessaB

12 hours ago, VanessaB said:

The date showing for my "Last Updated" status is set on the day I submitted the application. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Do you think the date is supposed to change? I received the email last Thursday about how to check the portal on April 1st, and I received an email on December 17th stating that my application was under review at my current institution.

It isn't necessarily good or bad! It simply means that the school has yet to enter a decision for your CGS-M application. Once a decision is made and entered into your CGS-M research portal you will received an e-mail that your application status has changed and that you will be able to view the decision on April 1st. Also the date will change from the date you submitted your app to the date when the decision was made. The only exception to this is if your application was deemed ineligible, in which case you will be able to see that decision right away. If interested in reading more about it you can check out this link (specifically under the heading "Competition Results Mid-March - April 1st":

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/RR_CGSM-RR_BESCM_eng.asp#Appointment_of_the

I hope that helps!